Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this he discusses Ukraine operations in the black sea on oil rigs. Perhaps @petit_bateau could give some maritime insight. Very interesting that the larger of the small boats had anti-air systems (hit an su30?). This is very close to the cape operations yeserday.

I'd rather not give specific comments. Whilst I am sure that nobody is sitting in the Kremlin reading this thread every morning, it is equally obvious that it does no good for the internet to be ablaze with helpful commentary.

However here are some more general comments that are statements of the blindingly obvious and so can be said:

- Ukraine is exhibiting very good operational level joint force integration. At operational level individual actions can be single-force but still result in a coherent joint operational outcome. Some Ukraine actions are exhibiting tri-force (naval/land/air) integration for smaller operations and their efforts are showing good results.

- Ukraine now has reach 500-600km to the south of Odessa across the Black Sea, and further to the north of Kiev by about 1,000km towards Moscow.

- Ukraine's immediate campaign objectives (to my mind) are:
-- progress on land towards Azov coast;
-- reduce or ideally eliminate Russian airstrikes on Ukraine cities and (winter) power networks and (summer) grain export facilities;
-- fully break sea blockade and reinstate grain exports for economic and political reasons;

- All of these objectives are positively affected the more that Russian use of the maritime/littoral areas includng the skies above is impeded and that Ukraine use is promoted. Ideally the Russian naval vessels would be penned in harbour, and every near-sea-shore target would be pounded constantly by Ukraine from the sea, and the missile launch aircraft pushed back much further. Action towards one objective is complementary to actions towards the other objectives.

- Some of the greatest students of jeune ecole were - and continue to be - UK and USA. It is no surprise to see that knowledge transferred. It doesn't all have to be big grey warships. The relevant stuff that has been transferred recently (and some is in transit still) are at the small scale but very helpful end of the spectrum.

- Having an island gives one persistence, a base, facilities, improved speed of response, improved radar range, ESM range, comms range, launcher facilities, logistics facilities, etc. Snake Island was just one step in that direction. The rigs are another. There are many more small islands and isolated seashore/littoral areas around the Black Sea, and a lot of these offer a big enough footprint for quite an effective result. These can do (or enable) things that cannot be done from a satellite in space.

- I am pretty sure that the USA has acted to remove Musk from direct operational control, authority, and responsibility for Starlink. He may also have been taken out of the operational insight loop for some Starlink things. This both reduces the direct threat to Musk, and the threat from Musk. The USA has always insisted that a US fully native national with full clearance was the adult in charge (Glynn Shotwell for SpaceX, hence Starlink) and I suspect other discreet moves have been made more recently. But equally I hope that Musk's security precautions are fully in place and that he is thoughtful about where he travels to for the next year or so. I think it also may be part of the explanation as to why the Biden administration downplays Musk - it is deliberate, but it is not necessarily for (only) the reasons some have suggested, and it makes good sense for everyone (imho).

- I suspect that some other coms networks are in play for some of the long range activies we observe.

- (BTW I don't have a view what brought down that Legacy or whether Prizhogin was onboard. There doesn't seem to be sufficient reliable public domain evidence to be sure on either point).

Last edited:
I'd rather not give specific comments. Whilst I am sure that nobody is sitting in the Kremlin reading this thread every morning, it is equally obvious that it does no good for the internet to be ablaze with helpful commentary.

However here are some more general comments that are statements of the blindingly obvious and so can be said:

- Ukraine is exhibiting very good operational level joint force integration. At operational level individual actions can be single-force but still result in a coherent joint operational outcome. Some Ukraine actions are exhibiting tri-force (naval/land/air) integration for smaller operations and their efforts are showing good results.

- Ukraine now has reach 500-600km to the south of Odessa across the Black Sea, and further to the north of Kiev by about 1,000km towards Moscow.

-- reduce or ideally eliminate Russian airstrikes on Ukraine cities and (winter) power networks and (summer) grain export facilities;
-- fully break sea blockade and reinstate grain exports for economic and political reasons;

- All of these objectives are positively affected the more that Russian use of the maritime/littoral areas includng the skies above is impeded and that Ukraine use is promoted. Ideally the Russian naval vessels would be penned in harbour, and every near-sea-shore target would be pounded constantly by Ukraine from the sea, and the missile launch aircraft pushed back much further. Action towards one objective is complementary to actions towards the other objectives.

- Some of the greatest students of jeune ecole were - and continue to be - UK and USA. It is no surprise to see that knowledge transferred. It doesn't all have to be big grey warships. The relevant stuff that has been transferred recently (and some is in transit still) are at the small scale but very helpful end of the spectrum.

- Having an island gives one persistence, a base, facilities, improved speed of response, improved radar range, ESM range, comms range, launcher facilities, logistics facilities, etc. Snake Island was just one step in that direction. The rigs are another. There are many more small islands and isolated seashore/littoral areas around the Black Sea, and a lot of these offer a big enough footprint for quite an effective result. These can do (or enable) things that cannot be done from a satellite in space.

- I am pretty sure that the USA has acted to remove Musk from direct operational control, authority, and responsibility for Starlink. He may also have been taken out of the operational insight loop for some Starlink things. This both reduces the direct threat to Musk, and the threat from Musk. The USA has always insisted that a US fully native national with full clearance was the adult in charge (Glynn Shotwell for SpaceX, hence Starlink) and I suspect other discreet moves have been made more recently. But equally I hope that Musk's security precautions are fully in place and that he is thoughtful about where he travels to for the next year or so. I think it also may be part of the explanation as to why the Biden administration downplays Musk - it is deliberate, but it is not necessarily for (only) the reasons some have suggested, and it makes good sense for everyone (imho).

- I suspect that some other coms networks are in play for some of the long range activies we observe.

- (BTW I don't have a view what brought down that Legacy or whether Prizhogin was onboard. There doesn't seem to be sufficient reliable public domain evidence to be sure on either point).

I read somewhere that the US and some other allies have been transferring to Ukraine ships that can be transported down the Danube river network. Large ships can't be transferred, but the sort of craft used in the recent raid may have been donated.

BTW this surfaced recently. The Russians are now bringing T-10s, a descendant of the IS-2 out of storage and deploying them

We may see the Russians field T-34s before this is over.

and an added benefit to this coordinated operation is that now to play with Ruzzia, all Ukraine has to do is target random AD site and the Ruzzia's will wonder if a new raid is imminent and have to move forces to respond. And when the Ruzzians get tired of being fooled, Ukraine can launch a successful, fully coordinated operation . Briiliant!

Rumors are out that the special forces team were dropped off by helicopter, rumors … not sure if true but it is being bantered in telegram channels.

Next year it will be interesting to find out what happened.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I read somewhere that the US and some other allies have been transferring to Ukraine ships that can be transported down the Danube river network. Large ships can't be transferred, but the sort of craft used in the recent raid may have been donated.

BTW this surfaced recently. The Russians are now bringing T-10s, a descendant of the IS-2 out of storage and deploying them

We may see the Russians field T-34s before this is over.
T34- One of best tank designs ever. Classics. No tax if you put antique plates on them.

According to the UN Refugee Agency "More than 6.2 million refugees from Ukraine have been recorded globally" The post doesn't say when that data is from. It will be a dramatic shift when the the sociopathic murderer is dead and people can return to their lives.
A quick check for Germany showed that the numbers fit neither 2022 (+1.1M, significant contribution by Ukrainian refugees) nor 2021 (+82k).
Source: Germa federal agency for statistics

Edit to add: Population loss in Russia should have been greater last year as well, due to casualties of war and emigration.

And edited to add for LOLZ

Last edited:
Most of Ukraine of course is population migration, refugees and emigrants. Most of JAPAN is just net death, that population is literally DYING and in a chronic and irreversible state of POPULATION DECLINE.. we’ve never seen anything like that in millennia and it will continue for the next 25+ years at which time their population will have shrunk by ~ 30% overall. Could you IMAGINE that in the USA, in 25 years we’ve had say 220M citizens, not the ~ 335M we have today?

Russia is interesting, it is a combination of net outflow and net DEATHS, which most likely include ~ what 200K military deaths overall?

We really have no idea what the number was for Russia. We all saw the videos of hundreds of thousands fleeing ,they don’t admit most deaths. They had population in decline before and the Stans were the only thing preventing a collapse of population.

As for China…what you see in Japan.. only more so in 20 years
Yes, China should peak sometime soon - if it hasn’t already, and India has surpassed them. Population growth leads ECONOMIC growth, so invest wisely.

A quick check for Germany showed that the numbers fit neither 2022 (+1.1M, significant contribution by Ukrainian refugees) nor 2021 (+82k).
Source: Germa federal agency for statistics

Edit to add: Population loss in Russia should have been greater last year as well, due to casualties of war and emigration.

And edited to add for LOLZ

That list probably came from here
https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.php

They use a very flawed analysis. For example they rank the US as #4 in naval strength with China, Russia, and North Korea ahead of them because they only measure strength by number of hulls. The US Navy in reality is the most powerful navy in the world because while having fewer hulls, each hull is more capable. If the navies are measured by total tonnage instead the US is way out in front
Largest Navies in the World 2022 - World Populace

(scroll down a ways)
  1. United States – 3,415,893
  2. Russia – 845,739
  3. China – 708,886
  4. Japan – 413,800
  5. United Kingdom – 367,850
  6. France – 319,195
  7. India – 317,725
  8. South Korea – 178,710
  9. Italy – 173,549
  10. Taiwan – 151,662
US Navy destroyers today are actually closer in tonnage to a WW II heavy cruiser. They are basically cruisers with ASW capability. The US has a little less than 100.

Most of Ukraine of course is population migration, refugees and emigrants. Most of JAPAN is just net death, that population is literally DYING and in a chronic and irreversible state of POPULATION DECLINE.. we’ve never seen anything like that in millennia and it will continue for the next 25+ years at which time their population will have shrunk by ~ 30% overall. Could you IMAGINE that in the USA, in 25 years we’ve had say 220M citizens, not the ~ 335M we have today?

Russia is interesting, it is a combination of net outflow and net DEATHS, which most likely include ~ what 200K military deaths overall?

Japan has been in this cycle for a couple of decades now. They are beginning to even out now.

The birthrate in all developed countries is below replacement rate. The only developed countries that are growing are ones who take in immigrants. The US is one of the few that is growing because of this.

As child mortality drops so does the birthrate. The birthrate in most developing countries is stabilizing because infant mortality has declined due to childhood vaccination programs in those countries.

Probably closer to 60k Russian military deaths in Ukraine to date, but casualties are likely 200k+.

The wounded to dead ratio in Russia is much closer to 1:1 than other modern militaries. Their battlefield evacuation capabilities, and priorities are very bad. A large number of wounded become KIA because of poor battlefield medicine. Among those who survive also has a very high rate of limb loss because nobody giving first aid know how to apply a tourniquet correctly.

The Ukrainian claims for Russian dead is probably the most accurate number out there. It may be low because it doesn't account for wounded who die off the battlefield.

Yes, China should peak sometime soon - if it hasn’t already, and India has surpassed them. Population growth leads ECONOMIC growth, so invest wisely.

The entire developed world will be declining soon, if they haven't started already. In the long term a smaller population is actually a benefit. With increased automation fewer and fewer people are needed to make products and with fewer people, the wealth is concentrated in fewer hands so people have more disposable income. An economy in which the bulk of the population were upper middle class or close to it would have an incredibly robust consumer spending sector.

The hard part is the transition from large population to stable, smaller population. Japan has been lumping that hurdle for nearly 30 years now.