Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ZNPP water well

The aquifer near the power plant has a lot of water in it. The water from the reservoir has been making its way into the ground water for something like 60 years.

Armchair pencil pushing here: that $250 million won’t buy much of the listed items, will it?

Early in the war the US valued everything at its replacement cost (building a new one), but now values everything based on the used cost on the arms market. $259 million goes father when you're shopping for second hand weapons.

The aquifer near the power plant has a lot of water in it. The water from the reservoir has been making its way into the ground water for something like 60 years.

Early in the war the US valued everything at its replacement cost (building a new one), but now values everything based on the used cost on the arms market. $259 million goes father when you're shopping for second hand weapons.
Many of the items given to Ukraine were basically stuff we would never use (surplus Stryker, M1A1 tanks)
They were in storage and not needed.

When sent to Ukraine, the dollar figure used is what it cost to buy in the first place.

These two videos about the new problems Putin is facing after the death of Prigozhin came out within a few minutes of each other.

Fear is the new normal in Russian politics

The high profile assassination of Prigozhin sends a clear warning to others in Russia who may want to depose Putin. But this puts Putin in a more fragile position. He has enemies to his left and to his right. My take is the assassination was good for him short term but bad for him long term.

Let's talk about Putin's possible positions...

Putin appears to be purging Russia of his rivals in the military. This is bad for the military and bad for Russians on the front line. The Russian legislature is considering enacting a massive new mobilization. Putin is not at the top of his game and he's losing his grip. Beau expects less effective command and control in Russia and a rise of discontent.

Overall, despite the hand wringing of some Western naysayers, I think the war is going very well for Ukraine right now.
  1. There are many effective drone strikes inside of Russia taking out significant military assets.
  2. Ukraine has created several footholds on the left bank of the Dnieper in Kherson.
  3. There have been successful commando raids in Crimea.
  4. Ukraine's fleet of naval drones has been effective well beyond my wildest expectations.
  5. They have been using long range precision missiles to whittle away at Russia's logistics and military supplies.
  6. Ukraine is slowly encircling Bakhmut.
  7. And they recently breached Russia's main defense line protecting the city of Tokmak.
According to Georgie of Ukraine Matters, capturing Tokmak should allow Ukraine to cut the land bridge to Crimea without having to make it all the way to the Sea of Azov.

And, of course, Putin is politically weakened. While losing the Wagner Group has deprived him of his most effective fighting force. It seems to me Ukraine is brewing up a perfect storm for Putin. This is exactly what I was hoping for when we were all waiting for the start of Ukraine's counter-offensive. I may have mentioned I was hoping for five surprising things from Ukraine. I think they delivered.

They are creating more fires than Putin's Russia is able to put out. This strikes at Russia's greatest weakness: the rigidity of their command and control structure. Thank goodness Ukraine didn't follow the advice of their Western allies who were saying Ukraine needs to concentrate their forces and their efforts in a single spot. Russia would be at its best fighting off one big attack but all these different creatively created problems spread out over hundreds and hundreds of miles are very difficult for Russia to deal with and they make the best use of Ukraine's resources which include many technically trained and highly motivated civilians. It's almost like the unrealistic movie trope where a bunch of plucky kids outwit and make fools of an organized military.