Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1B and $1k. 1E9 is a 1 with 9 zeros.
Yep, so 1E4 is 1 with 4 zeros (10,000)

Before I get yelled at, let me just say that the Google calculator understands the notation ;)

Joking aside, this notation makes large number mental arithmetic much easier. Since I adopted its use a couple of years ago I make a lot fewer mistakes and my whiteboard scribbling is a fair bit more legible.

Last edited:
Yep, so 1E4 is 1 with 4 zeros (10,000)

Before I get yelled at, let me just say that the Google calculator understands the notation ;)

Joking aside, this notation makes large number mental arithmetic much easier. Since I adopted its use a couple of years ago I make a lot fewer mistakes and my whiteboard scribbling is a fair bit more legible.
Agreed, but it's also written 1e^4 or 1(e^4) which might be a bit clearer. The first thing I thought about was the E was Euros if you didn't have the € symbol handy.

Because it didn't have any commentary I skipped by this initially. But this is significant, Russia's loss rate at Adivka is higher than it was at Bakhmut, and their losses there were staggering.

Russian corps are smaller than western corps. An American corps is usually about 3 divisions, or about 30-40,000 troops. A Russian corps is usually about the same size as a western division or 10-15,000 troops. A Russian corps losing 10,000 dead is gutting the unit. They may be feeding in more replacements so the unit may still have some strength, but losing troops at that rate is going to destroy the unit as an effective fighting force and destroy morale. It's most likely that anyone with any combat experience is dead or wounded and the replacements are milling around without a clue what they are doing with nobody to lead them or train them.

Trying a different Twitter-account... [That seems to have worked...]

@TrentTelenko

I'm no 3D/AM expert, but that casing looks like either 3D/AM or plastic injection moulding.

And I'm not seeing anything that looks like a sprue mark for this Russian “butterfly” anti-personnel mine.

This is technical evidence of a new mine production line in Russia, either way.

Nasty. But predictable. Buying 3D printer from China is not going to be that expensive. I've been looking at a 3D printer for myself and you can get a pretty nice one for less than $500. The cheaper ones are only a couple hundred.

3D printing is another big change that is coming very soon. The printers are getting cheap enough and fast enough that they will likely start becoming staples of manufacturing soon.

More evidence that Ukraine has been successful in destroying Russian air defense systems.

The British Defense Ministry reports Russia is now withdrawing air defense systems from Kaliningrad. A few months ago it was from the Russian Far East.

The Kremlin has likely moved a number of strategic air defense systems from its Baltic Sea base at Kaliningrad to the current front lines in Ukraine to "backfill recent losses," the British Defense Ministry wrote in its latest update.

Russia's NATO risk highlights "overstretch" caused by war: UK

This is interesting. The Ukrainian claims for destroyed equipment now claims about 1/2 of Russia's pre-war gun artillery and a pretty hefty slice of Russia's pre-war tank and AFV fleet, but only about 10-15% of their pre-war air defense stockpile. The reason they haven't put as deep a dent in Russia's air defense systems is the number Russia started with. They had a mountain of S-300s.

If Russia is removing AD systems from all their bases around the country, that's in indication something is going on beyond what Ukraine is claiming.

Quite the mix of hardware there. I didn't recognize all the guns, but there were American .50 caliber Brownings, Russian/Soviet .50 DShK, even a pair of Maxims. The Maxims were built through WW II, but they are old, with the design dating back to the late 19th century.

The crewed gun on the rotating carriage with the crew sitting on the carriage looked like the Soviet answer to the Bofors 40mm which was a standard AA gun in the WW II era among the western Allies. It was the standard USN medium range AA weapon on ships for most of the war. Many PT boats had one mounted on the stern.

If the west could resurrect some 40mm Bofors, they would be a good weapon against drones. 40mm shells with proximity fuzes would be cheap and effective, only need a short burst per drone.

Agreed, but it's also written 1e^4 or 1(e^4) which might be a bit clearer. The first thing I thought about was the E was Euros if you didn't have the € symbol handy.

The E is a commonly used symbol on a calculator to denote exponent.

Allegedly:

The spokesman of the Air Force of Ukraine confirmed the destruction of Russian aircraft over the Bryansk region in May of last year with the Patriot air defense system.

Yuriy Ignat told what he calls May 13, 2023 "the Bryansk massacre". Then, "thanks to non-standard actions", the Patriot air defense units destroyed five aircraft at once in five minutes - one Su-34 fighter, one Su-35, two rare Mi-8MTPR-1 helicopters and another Mi-8.

Ignat added that shortly after these events, Patriot shot down another Su-35 over the Black Sea.

@front_ukrainian

Haven't used a calculator other than on my phone or computer in probably 20 years, but my first TI calculator 50 or so years ago had scientific notation which was the E button. I knew what he meant.

I'm enough of a geek to have HP41 emulators on my Windows computers and portable devices. The emulators are open most of the time on my Windows computers.

How well will WW2 era proximity fuses work against drones? Especially if the materials transition to carbon fiber?

The fuzes are relatively new. the technology has continued to evolve past WW II. The Gepard rounds have them. The US Bushmaster also has proximity rounds available. I believe there are proximity rounds now that go off when they get close to any solid object. These are useful for blunting things like Russian mobik charges. Fire in the direction of the enemy and the shells going off near the troops works like a grenade launcher.

Stealth aircraft have design techniques that deflect radar waves away so the signals don't return to the source. The really stealthy aircraft are also coated with special paint that absorbs radar signals. That's how they get their radar signature down. A typical drone is going to look the size of the actual aircraft to radar. It's smaller than a manned aircraft, but it's still there to radar. Fossil fuel powered drones also produce heat, and the longer range drones are almost all fossil fuel powered.

Carbon fiber is a pretty expensive material to use for a kamikaze drone. Those make heavy use of plastic and other materials like that. I doubt carbon fiber is going to become common for one way drones. Maybe for special use kamikazes intended for high value targets, but there won't be many of those made. Even at that carbon fiber might be a waste of money.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Carbon fiber on drones is mostly replacing plastic parts due to lighter weight and strength. It will not reduce radar or proxmity fuse effectiveness.

Metal is still used in the motors, controllers, cameras, munitions and batteries.

Biggest signature probably from the munitions they carry.
For the larger drones, such as those used for cruise missiles, cf may replace metal bodywork and significantly reduce radar cross section. For the smaller front line drones, you're correct that it won't make any real difference. But for defending cities against distantly launches attacks using radar guided anti air systems, cf can be an issue.

For the larger drones, such as those used for cruise missiles, cf may replace metal bodywork and significantly reduce radar cross section. For the smaller front line drones, you're correct that it won't make any real difference. But for defending cities against distantly launches attacks using radar guided anti air systems, cf can be an issue.

When making the decision to use exotic materials, engineers need to make a cost/benefit decision. Carbon fiber is expensive. Structures made out of carbon fiber can be very strong combined with being very light, which is an advantage with aircraft in general, but may not be called for with most drones.

If the call is to make a reconnaissance drone that is as stealthy as possible and has the best chance to survive the enemy, carbon fiber may be called for. For most other drone tasks, they are fungible assets, best to make them as cheap as possible which means leave the exotic materials out of the design.