Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusting of the rear lift gate attachment points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG

I work in the marine tade, the struts you are looking at are fine. The clip that's rusting will take years more before there is a problem. That is the retainer ring that keeps the clamp on the ball and it's thick cold Steel. We have seen many of these spending years in salt water every day and will look way worse and still hold fine. If you don't like them you can pop the whole think off and go to any boat store and get the whole strut out of stainless or chrome. They cost about 30-50$.

I live in Jersey too and the road departments seem to spread salt at the hint of a snow dusting. Looks like you might have some accumulations of salt. Make sure you wash and wipe down under the hood and rear hatch frequently in winter.

no, i live in the central jersey. no where near any sea water. i found it really weird that it is rusted that bad... will definitely bring it up to the service team.

I live in Jersey too and the road departments seem to spread salt at the hint of a snow dusting. Looks like you might have some accumulations of salt. Make sure you wash and wipe down under the hood and rear hatch frequently in winter.

Oh no! I added a photo of my lift gate attachment points and that salty looking coating is from a trip I recently made to New Jersey! Better get out there and wash it down :)

Mine looked pretty much the same when I bought it CPO, its a 2013. I think it was a Michigan car, I'm in Chicago, so definitely gets some snow and salt. Noticed it the night I brought it home. Sent the service center the attached photo and they had me bring it in that week and replaced it all so that it looks brand new. I would assume that its going to rust again though since these connections are outside of the rubber seal inside the rear lift gate.

IMG_1613.JPG

This thread just called attention to mine, which also appear very rusted. Interestingly, the CPO that I just took delivery from came from the NJ service center, and I believe the car's previous owner lived very close to there. Seems a few other people mentioned Jersey or that area. I'll have my service center take a look next time I'm in.