Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusty Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your photo isn't available unfortunately. I'll guess that you are not talking about the wheels since they are alloy and won't "rust". Are you talking about the central hub? If so, ferrous metals inevitably acquire some cosmetic rust so clean them up and grease if you really want to ... but if it's what I'm thinking (not seen the pic) then it isn't a problem to leave as is. (Happy to eat my words if your photo turns out to be a horror show!)

Sorry, how's this?

Attachments

• PXL_20201211_101757475.jpg
    PXL_20201211_101757475.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 117
Not the wheel ... it's the hub. It's superficial even though it doesn't look nice. If you intend to remove it then jack the car and remove the wheel otherwise you risk damaging it when getting at the rusty areas. As mentioned, it's not a Tesla thing ... it's a car thing.

No worries on that apparent rust. I would worry about oil/grease applied to that area that might spin off onto the rotors or brake pads. Leave it alone. Put the covers back on :)

Reactions: adsheff
No worries on that apparent rust. I would worry about oil/grease applied to that area that might spin off onto the rotors or brake pads. Leave it alone. Put the covers back on :)

Plus, most torque values are given dry. If you oil/grease the threads then you will over-torque the wheel studs by a considerable margin. Though probably no where near as much as a Kwik-Fit monkey with a windy-gun :D

Plus, most torque values are given dry. If you oil/grease the threads then you will over-torque the wheel studs by a considerable margin. Though probably no where near as much as a Kwik-Fit monkey with a windy-gun :D
Tell me about it - I once had Kwik fit put a new tyre on my Leaf, and they filled it to 54PSI rather than 34 !!! Good job I checked it

The rust is in the hub area not on the stud threads so won't actually affect the torque issue for wheel fitting. The central nut is for the hub itself and a bit of grease on the outside is fine. Fair point above about not getting grease around the disc itself ... but a tiny smear won't go anywhere it shouldn't if OP really wants rid of the unsightly stuff. In ye olde days the bearings were often accessed from that area so there was plenty of grease around there anyway and a central small hub cap was there to keep the muck out and the grease in.

Waxoyl clear, sprayed from an aerosol, does a good job on things like this. No need to do any preparation, just squirt a bit in there and it'll stop it getting any worse. As it sets to a fairly solid film, there's no risk of it migrating anywhere it shouldn't.

Clear Waxoyl is handy stuff for preventing corrosion on other small areas, too, like fasteners.

Reactions: Adopado