Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RV parks filling the charging gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... There is a gorgeous and fun drive on US Highway 191 between Morenci and Eagar in east Arizona. The shortest route to Morenci is 193 miles. The route with Tesla and other chargers goes south to Tucson and back north, 279 miles. And, even with chargers on the longer route, it’d be risky to take the scenic drive from Morenci to Eagar.

RV Parky app shows 5 RV spots along the shorter route, including one in Morenci. So, I could lean on @ChadS ’s @Misterbee ’s experience and charge along the shorter route, hopefully with 50 amp hookups.

When selecting the NEMA 14-50 ("50 amp" - in RV lingo) filter in Plugshare, it shows that folks have charged at several of the same RV parks along US 191. So it sounds like a plan.

i live in Gilbert, Arizona. There is a gorgeous and fun drive on US Highway 191 between Morenci and Eagar in east Arizona. The shortest route to Morenci is 193 miles. The route with Tesla and other chargers goes south to Tucson and back north, 279 miles. And, even with chargers on the longer route, it’d be risky to take the scenic drive from Morenci to Eagar.

RV Parky app shows 5 RV spots along the shorter route, including one in Morenci. So, I could lean on @ChadS ’s @Misterbee ’s experience and charge along the shorter route, hopefully with 50 amp hookups.

Maybe electric vehicle charging hasn’t blipped on the radar of small RV parks as a service to offer. I’m glad for the helpful and informative responses here!
Plugshare shows a 14-50 outlet at Hannagan Meadow Lodge, between Eagar and Moenci, with several check-ins mentioning that they had lunch in the cafe while charging.

In keeping with my preference for State Parks, those wanting to make a one night trip of it could camp at Roper Lake State Park near Safford, which has 45 campsites with RV pedestals. Or one could camp at Lyman Lake State Park north of Eagar — 38 sites with RV pedestals.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Please excuse how naive I sound but I'm still very new to this and especially adapter types. For a SR+ what types of plugs/adapters would I need to stay in an RV park? Would it change based on which park I'm at? I've also read about changing the amperage from within the car? Having not taken delivery yet there's still so much to learn lol

Please excuse how naive I sound but I'm still very new to this and especially adapter types. For a SR+ what types of plugs/adapters would I need to stay in an RV park? Would it change based on which park I'm at? I've also read about changing the amperage from within the car? Having not taken delivery yet there's still so much to learn lol

The Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) kit that comes with the car has special adapters for various plug types. Each UMC adapter tells the UMC what the max amperage is for its plug, and the UMC tells the car the same. Tesla offers eight different adapters for North America. The 5-15 adapter is included in the kit. The others can be ordered from the Tesla web site or local service center for $35 each.

The UMC adapter most useful at most RV parks is the "50 amp" 14-50 plug. Large RVs use 14-50 plugs, as they provide both 120 and 240 Volt power. (EVs only need the 240V portion.). As it can provide up to 50 amps, 40 continuous, it will max out the 32 amp limit in both the UMC and your SR. Many EV owners, myself included, have 14-50 receptacles installed at their homes. A Model 3 with this setup can charge at about 30 mph.

Smaller and more rural sites may only offer "Travel Trailer" 30 amp receptacles - called TT-30. Also some RV parks have a limited number of 14-50s, and offer additional TT-30s for overflow or for folks who don't need a 14-50. These provide 120 Volt 30 amp (24 amp continuous) power. Charging around 11 mph. Tesla doesn't offer a TT-30 adapter for the UMC. But several solutions are available from the aftermarket - some better than others.

At the lowest rungs are the "20 amp" 5-20 and "15 amp" 5-15. (120V, 20 and 15 amp max, 16 and 12 amp continuous.). With the appropriate Tesla UMC adapter, you'll get about 7 and 5 mph charging respectively.

In addition to what was said above I will point out that your SR likely comes with a Gen 2 Mobile Connector so you need to buy Gen 2 adapters. Tesla makes a Gen 2 14-50 adapter, although it is sometimes out of stock. This is essential equipment for any road trip that ventures off the Supercharger network:
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
The Tesla adapters will automatically limit current to the safe level for the type of outlet and breaker.

Tesla doesn't make a TT-30 adapter. You can get one from evseadapters.com that will fit a Gen 2 MC; it will automatically limit current to 24 amps, the level required for a 30 amp outlet (80% of the breaker rating).
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

^ That adapter is a bit expensive but is the best solution.

You can also get a TT-30p to 14-50r adapter for less at places such as Amazon. If you use that sort of adapter you must limit the current in the car charging screen to 24 amps, to avoid tripping the breaker. [A way around that is to use a 14-30 Gen 2 adapter and cut off the neutral pin, since Tesla doesn't use it, so that it fits a 14-50 outlet and automatically limits current to 24 amps.]

One caution: only buy a TT-30 adapter that is listed as being for "Tesla" because standard RV TT-30p to 14-50r adapters are NOT wired correctly for Tesla.

Last edited:
As long as you don't mind paying for a spot and wait for hours, why not right? Beware of the TT-30P adapter, they charge at 24A @ 110v, that means 2.6kwh. It's going to take you nearly a day to charge up the car.
You mean 2.64 kW? Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

If you charge at 2.64 kW for 1 hour, 2.64 kWh came out of the wall. 2 hours? 5.28 kWh. Would suck if only 2.64 kWh of juice came out of the "wall" and then it stopped.

110 volts? Isn't it 120 volts? 120 volts * 24 amps = 2880 watts = 2.88 kW

Chances are if you find an RV park, they'll have both the 30amp TT plug and the NEMA 14-50.... may as well use the 14-50. I guess this is why Tesla doesn't bother to make the TT plug adapter.

When I'm travelling I scout out hotels and RV parks. For example, the KOA in Richmond Hill GA and the Days Inn in Jessup GA.

...110 volts? Isn't it 120 volts? 120 volts * 24 amps = 2880 watts = 2.88 kW
Yes, 2.88 kW, as you say.

TT-30 is useful for overnight charging but not for just an hour or two. Twelve hours gives about 34 kWh, which is a fair number of miles and usually enough to get to the next Supercharger Station. Especially given the charge left in the battery when arriving at the campground.

Yes, 2.88 kW, as you say.

TT-30 is useful for overnight charging but not for just an hour or two. Twelve hours gives about 34 kWh, which is a fair number of miles and usually enough to get to the next Supercharger Station. Especially given the charge left in the battery when arriving at the campground.
It strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish to not have the array of adapters that may be needed at campgrounds. Once can certainly not be confident that a 14-50 receptacle will always be found.

I also much prefer the notion of sleeping at a campground overnight while the car is charging rather than waiting for L1 or L2 to add enough energy to get going again although that is a lot easier with only one person. Perhaps tent camping for two should be my plan.

dgpcolorado, do you buy passes for camping discounts ?

I’m finding areas in Arizona that would be a great drive but charging stops are out of the way. It would make a day drive into a long day drive. Is RV Parky app a good enough way to find places to charge?

Seems like RV parks are missing out on a revenue source. If an RV park knows it is in a charging desert, they could advertise EV charging opportunities, even have parking spots for people to charge a couple of hours. They could price the electricity at a premium, even.

I used both RV parks and a State Park campground on a recent trip across Michigan's northern Upper Peninsula. Worked fine for overnight charging, paid between $15 and $30. I also added the sites I used that hadn't previously been shown in PlugShare. :cool:

Have been using RV and State parks since I purchased the Model S in 2013. (No Superchargers back then closer than 1500 miles--all three of them). There are really only two adapters that you need the NEMA 14-50 (known by parks only as 50 amp RV plugs) and TT-30. The 14-50 adapter is sold by Tesla. The TT-30 adapter is not but it is sold by EVSEadapters. Note that the TT-30 is 120V so is very slow, but it's better than nothing. Finding which park has what is not a job for PlugShare, (Plugshare is great for public and residential charging but is really skimpy on RV parks.) instead use RVParking. Note that in many RV parks the wiring is not even remotely up to code, so don't try to charge at more than 32 amps (for those who have 40 amp capability).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ai4px and SageBrush
RV parks are better than nothing to bridge rare gaps... but NEMA 14-50 charging isnt fast enough to juice up in 20min like a supercharger. now if you take a 2hr lunch break and a nap in the car... then you are adding some useful mileage
They are also great destination charging locations. Even if there are numerous Superchargers, it's still way more convenient to charge while you sleep than to drive to a Supercharger and charge while you're awake.

It strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish to not have the array of adapters that may be needed at campgrounds. Once can certainly not be confident that a 14-50 receptacle will always be found.

I also much prefer the notion of sleeping at a campground overnight while the car is charging rather than waiting for L1 or L2 to add enough energy to get going again although that is a lot easier with only one person. Perhaps tent camping for two should be my plan.

dgpcolorado, do you buy passes for camping discounts ?
I have a Colorado State Parks annual pass. State parks here don't receive state funding and are supported by user fees (hunting, fishing licenses as well as park entry fees). My annual pass is my donation to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department, whether I use it or not — I think that they do a splendid job with meager resources.

In other states, I have found that most camping fees include the park entrance fee. If not, I pay it as I enter. Nowadays most state parks reserve campsites online, which makes it really convenient; I know my campsite is waiting for me when I arrive, none of the "first come first served" uncertainty — I really hate that.

Entirely agree about having adapters useful for RV parks and the like. I consider such things basic road trip equipment. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have a Colorado State Parks annual pass. State parks here don't receive state funding and are supported by user fees (hunting, fishing licenses as well as park entry fees). My annual pass is my donation to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department, whether I use it or not — I think that they do a splendid job with meager resources.
I hear you. We acted the same when we lived in Colorado.

Is the camping fee discounted by pass ownership ?

Due to Covid, many campgrounds allow only registered guests to pass through their gates. While many offer 50 amp, 30 amp and sometimes 15 amp service, they are not there for passing EVs but for guests with RVs.

They may allow you to charge for free or a fee, but things have changed recently.

• Informative
Reactions: adayley
Entirely agree about having adapters useful for RV parks and the like. I consider such things basic road trip equipment. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

While slow, even a "20 amp" 5-20 is useful for overnight charging. It will give a couple extra mph of charging over the 5-15. The first road trip after we bought our Model 3, the inn we stayed at had a 5-20 receptacle in the parking lot in front of our room. (The manager of the inn was a Volt owner. So he was quite happy to point us to it.) I only had the 5-15 adapter at the time. But if I had the 5-20 adapter, over the two nights we spent there, the extra miles would have avoided a brief Supercharger stop on the way home. Since then I've noticed quite a number of 5-20 receptacles in parking garages, and hotel and motel parking lots. Especially in areas where it gets cold in the winter and ICE car owners plug in engine block heaters.