Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD battery pack $cost / mile added range WOW! March 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just compare Model 3 prices RWD on extra cost / MILEAGE only.
Cost per added mile range is very interesting -- shouldn't you get the biggest battery ??

[no consideration for added interior options - consider interior options free with this price analysis]

Model 3...Range..CASH....extra $/mile added range
Standard....220...$35,000...$ 0.
Standard+..240...$37,000...$100. .$2000/20
Mid.............264...$40.000...$125. .$3000/24
Long...........325...$43,000...$ 49. ..$3000/61

Careful to avoid reading too much into these numbers.
Pricing is an art, not a science. (costing is also more of an art than science)
All economics is a man made game (that includes pricing) and you get to decide what you will pay, or not pay. don't whine.
read the fine print and decide for yourself.

Just compare Model 3 prices RWD on extra cost / MILEAGE only.
Cost per added mile range is very interesting -- shouldn't you get the biggest battery ??

[no consideration for added interior options - consider interior options free with this price analysis]

Model 3...Range..CASH....extra $/mile added range
Standard....220...$35,000...$ 0.
Standard+..240...$37,000...$100. .$2000/20
Mid.............264...$40.000...$125. .$3000/24
Long...........325...$43,000...$ 49. ..$3000/61

Careful to avoid reading too much into these numbers.
Pricing is an art, not a science. (costing is also more of an art than science)
All economics is a man made game (that includes pricing) and you get to decide what you will pay, or not pay. don't whine.
read the fine print and decide for yourself.

Of course from SR to SR+ and SR to MR/LR there's more to it than just range. you have to consider the interior options in those as well. But, when you do consider that, it makes the LR RWD even that much better of a deal (which is why that's what I ordered)

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Interesting, but to use your chart correctly, if you buy the LR, you have to pay the higher rates at each step below there to get there.
To make the math a composite, everything should be relative to $35K.....so
Standard is $0/mi extra
Standard+ is $100/mi extra
Mid is $114/mi extra
LR is $84/mi extra

• Love
220 + 105 = 325 miles range
$35,000 + $8,000 = $43,000 cash price
$8,000 / 105 = $80 / mile added range
:D see what I mean about the art of the deal? Man you have to verify most everything now days.:rolleyes:

Now let's all whine together: "Those with the money win yet again !"
OR "It takes money to save money ?"
OR "Damn Elon is going to ruin Tesla yet. Quick tell the SEC. No, no.Tell the Shorts, quick."
OR worse than you think AFTER you deduct the cost of interior upgrades. OR Elon is giving them away?
Damn those extra "volume discounts" must be screwing up my calculations!
Better buy now before someone at Tesla notices.
:cool::eek::confused:

One last thing: "Your mileage may vary according to your reality: temperature, hills, tire type & pressure, amount of lead in your foot.:rolleyes:
Will be better than ICE vehicles, but how much better ??:)

Is it Jerome or Elon fault? :(

OK, who will take a shot at including "included interior upgrades"??

Last edited:
I keep hearing this, but it includes those who only drive their cars on weekends and other edge cases. I'd suggest the the mean (50% above and 50% below) distance traveled is sixty miles per day.

then you'd be factually wrong.

The mean is 29.2 miles per day- the median is much lower at only 10 miles per day.

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/49536/2000192-American-Driving-Survey.pdf

(I think that 29.2 might be slightly over 30 in more recent data, but it hasn't changed a ton and is nowhere NEAR 60)

• Informative