Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went by a Tesla showroom today and talked to one of the sellers. They still have no clue what is going to happen and have no instructions on the matter.
There is no way on earth that the company is going to give a free (4k) upgrade to AWD.
I can see it in the form of upgrades like color and wheels and you pay the rest.
I don’t even see them doing that.

It’s pretty unnecessary in most of the snow states if they plow and salt the roads. Snow tires are all you really need.
Agree. I have a LR RWD Model 3 with snow tires and they work fine. In the eastern mass area unless you travel a lot to ski country you could easily get by with AWD and no snow tires.
I am considering changing my RWD Model Y order to AWD figuring that avoiding snow tires mitigates some of the AWD upgrade cost.

I know Tesla can make changes that may affect what we pre-ordered, fine.

But it is unbelievable that this was not planned in advance. Why offer it, take all these orders and then just remove it and leave us in the dark? I just ordered it the night before it was removed, so no big deal for me. But people that ordered it a year ago should be mad about it. Why not remove it from the design studio and send and email to all customers with an explanation about the status of their order at the same time? Maybe because not even Tesla knows what to do now?

It will be the same thing if they decide to cancel the Cybertruck RWD option a year from now.

I really like Tesla and the model 3 is the best car I ever owned. But Tesla should be more considerate of customers that are loyal enough to order a car without even seeing it.

I wish Tesla would stop treating their pre-orders as if it was a Kickstarter campaign.

I really like Tesla and the model 3 is the best car I ever owned. But Tesla should be more considerate of customers that are loyal enough to order a car without even seeing it.

Tesla is in a similar position though. They're selling a car that hasn't entered production yet. It must be difficult for them to actually predict future plans or difficulties of the production ramp.

BTW, I have a rwd preorder as well.

Although the model y looks similar to the model 3, it apparently has a lot of different manufacturing techniques and strategies.

Tesla is in a similar position though. They're selling a car that hasn't entered production yet. It must be difficult for them to actually predict future plans or difficulties of the production ramp.

BTW, I have a rwd preorder as well.

Although the model y looks similar to the model 3, it apparently has a lot of different manufacturing techniques and strategies.

Exactly. There is just too much unknown at this point. While Tesla's messaging could have been a little more direct, I'm glad they aren't committing to anything.

Exactly. There is just too much unknown at this point. While Tesla's messaging could have been a little more direct, I'm glad they aren't committing to anything.

It's difficult to please everyone, especially with a complex product like a car.

On the bright side, the awd lr has more range than the original rwd estimate of 300mi. At least we aren't in a taycan situation :p imagine if the production y had 260mi instead of 300

It’s really not that difficult to please everyone. Offer a product that you’re going to produce, simple as that. If you’re not going to make it, don’t take orders for it.

Agreed! If they decided not to make the LR RWD, why were you able to pre-order 2 days before quarterly update.

makers for very poor business decisions .

I am currently in wait mode as most of you are.....here is hoping We find out soon

might be gettting M3 AWD ......if not

Should have bought TSLA instead of preorder... :(

I understand that plans will change during pre-production phase. Just disappointed with lack of communication.

Do you think they will change the door latch thing that damages the trim in the model 3? Thats the only thing that I dont like about my car. Passengers may pull on that to open the door and can mess with the trim. I hope this is not in the model Y

The Model Y has high demand and is production constrained. They will probably be able to make just AWD models (including performance) for a year or more and sell them no problem without cutting price. It's possible they will never make a LR RWD, only SR+ (making SR Model 3 only).

• Helpful
Reactions: Nomad2006
I called tesla costa Mesa, they said I can either edit order and get an awd at current prices or wait until standard range comes out? That can't be the only options...

I’ve called Tesla HQ and I chatted online with a rep, and then I’ve corresponded with a number of people here, on Reddit, and Twitter about being a LR RWD deposit-placer. The ONE thing I can say definitively is that everyone who contacts the company hears something different.

I’ve called Tesla HQ and I chatted online with a rep, and then I’ve corresponded with a number of people here, on Reddit, and Twitter about being a LR RWD deposit-placer. The ONE thing I can say definitively is that everyone who contacts the company hears something different.

This is the right answer. I just called Tesla Costa Mesa as well since its my delivery location and they told me the LR RWD will be produced they just don't know when it will be available. Just better to wait from a official Tesla response

People are saying the getting different answers from Tesla is unprofessional, but I am cutting them slack for that. I used to work at the credit card call center for one of Canada's biggest banks, and when we had product changes announced, despite any training offered, employees gave a wide range of information. This applied to when scandals hit, or when controversial fee changes were made too. Its hard to maintain message discipline in a large organization.

People are saying the getting different answers from Tesla is unprofessional, but I am cutting them slack for that. I used to work at the credit card call center for one of Canada's biggest banks, and when we had product changes announced, despite any training offered, employees gave a wide range of information. This applied to when scandals hit, or when controversial fee changes were made too. Its hard to maintain message discipline in a large organization.

Also, probably only 30% read their emails :p

Reactions: arghx7
Tesla’s FAQ page for the Model Y is an ideal platform to overcome that. Instead, they post something like “not planned for production at this time” further adding to confusion and putting their front line in the position they’re in to make stuff up or guess as they go along. I bet Tesla hasn’t given any clear guidance to their front line, versus the bank you worked at that at least attempted to have clear communication.