Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. I get that. But I’m not driving in unplowed snow. The crews here are on it quickly - we are near some big cities so they brine the night before and plow during the event.

The computer and traction control is smart enough to brake individual wheels I would imagine if a slip was detected?

Right. I get that. But I’m not driving in unplowed snow. The crews here are on it quickly - we are near some big cities so they brine the night before and plow during the event.

The computer and traction control is smart enough to brake individual wheels I would imagine if a slip was detected?

Unplowed snow is far grippier and safer than compacted snow or ice. Tesla's ABS and traction control is very good, but at the end of the day, you can't change physics. If you need to stop fast on snow/ice with all season tires, it's not going to happen. The choice is yours, and it all depends on your risk tolerance. There is no right answer here.

For me, we plan on getting a LR-RWD Model Y and have a winter wheel/tire setup that goes on in ~november, which we have had for all of our cars here. They are only needed a few times a year, but it's nice to have them.

True. In my Subarus I have found I’m better off steering around problems if needed compared to slowing or stopping if that’s a safe option - but if the guy behind me can’t stop their car it doesn’t matter what tires I have!

I've searched the web over after reading Elon's tweet. I had a thought and no one else has mentioned it. Elon texted that their will be a "single motor model Y"...he never said it would be RWD. AWD has a heat-pump on the front motor...how to rework this cheaply? Simple, just take out the rear motor and you're done. Is FWD feasible? FWD vs RWD vs AWD...my number one decision making spec is range. If there is a big range increase with RWD or FWD then I'll stick with my reservation--but for a 10 or 15 mile increase, I'd need to save some serious money over the AWD. Today the M3 SR+ and LR AWD have a 72 mile range difference. Carrying over that thought, MY LR AWD lists a 316 mile range today--one could theorize a MY FWD/RWD range of 370-385 which is exactly what I'm looking for.

AWD has a heat-pump on the front motor

No it doesn't. The heat pump is not connected to/on the front motor. (It is near it.)

Today the M3 SR+ and LR AWD have a 72 mile range difference. Carrying over that thought, MY LR AWD lists a 316 mile range today--one could theorize a MY FWD/RWD range of 370-385 which is exactly what I'm looking for.

You need to look at the Model 3 LR RWD vs. AWD as they use the same battery. The difference was 325 vs. 310. (Though AWD has been increased to 322 now, but RWD would likely have increased some as well.)

Reactions: kevin1
Good points, Mr Frog.

However, The heat pump is mounted in the front on or near the motor. It’s not run by the motor. All they need is a suitable bracket.

No way will Tesla make a FWD model Y. It’s not where one puts a motor on a performance vehicle.

This speculation is nuts. N-V-T-S, nuts. Please just announce the LR RWD, Elon! Save us from our wandering minds!

I've searched the web over after reading Elon's tweet. I had a thought and no one else has mentioned it. Elon texted that their will be a "single motor model Y"...he never said it would be RWD. AWD has a heat-pump on the front motor...how to rework this cheaply? Simple, just take out the rear motor and you're done. Is FWD feasible? FWD vs RWD vs AWD...my number one decision making spec is range. If there is a big range increase with RWD or FWD then I'll stick with my reservation--but for a 10 or 15 mile increase, I'd need to save some serious money over the AWD. Today the M3 SR+ and LR AWD have a 72 mile range difference. Carrying over that thought, MY LR AWD lists a 316 mile range today--one could theorize a MY FWD/RWD range of 370-385 which is exactly what I'm looking for.

2020 Tesla Model Y Performance AWD - Specifications and price

The front motor is smaller than the rear motor (197 HP vs 283 HP), so I'm not sure of the impact by using only the smaller FWD motor and if this is something Tesla would like to do. Doubtful but perhaps it could be easier. They have already said that they do not want to release smaller battery version for the MY because the range would be too limiting in their opinion for the Tesla brand, so would releasing this heavy car with just that front motor result in sub-par performance, inadequate to meet Tesla's standards? Will it be too slow or under powered when compared to rest of their cars? I have no idea, just raising the question that using only the smaller front motor may not be an option in Tesla's eyes, takes away from the brand image of going green does not mean slow.

Perhaps somebody who has a M3P and track mode could configure their car as FWD only and do a few 0-60 runs to compare against normal AWD runs and RWD only runs? That would give us some data to see how well FWD only works or does not. Not a perfect data set since the weight stays the same and not a MY, but at least something to go on. Does anybody know what FWD only looks like on a M3P?

Anyone able to upgrade to AWD from RWD for 2k more? I was told I need to pay for the wheels and the color difference as well. So basically like ordering the new car again.

I was able to, but I didn't upgrade anything in my order so it was easy. I don't know if I gave up my 'place in line' since I ordered last November. Hoping I get it sooner than 4-8 weeks but I'll be happy whenever I get it.

Anyone able to upgrade to AWD from RWD for 2k more? I was told I need to pay for the wheels and the color difference as well. So basically like ordering the new car again.

I upgraded my RWD order to AWD earlier this week. Despite the insistence by Tesla Sales that new pricing would apply, I kept my original pricing. Which was good in my case as, with my configuration, I ended up saving $400... but if I hadn’t purchased FSD, new pricing would have been a better deal... I’m sure they would have allowed me to switch to the new pricing scheme if it had made financial sense to do so.