Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S or X? (Hypothetical)

Model S or X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
So let’s assume you are a couple with no kids and you’re other car is a Model 3. Also assume you won it tax free in a raffle and you had your choice of either. Don’t factor tax advantages of a heavier vehicle in the case of the X.
Here are my observations. Please add your own.
Comparing a similarly equipped Model S 100D with a Model X 100D. There are definitely points in favor of each.
Range & 0-60
Model S 295 miles, 4.1 sec
Model X 335 miles, 4.7 sec
The S is arguably the most beautiful car ever. The X is the Coolest with some amazing tech in the doors.
The S doors are difficult to close unless slammed.
The X doors close themselves.
The S feels like a sports car.
The X feels like a sporty SUV.
The S is harder to get in & out of without hitting your head.
The X is more comfortable.
The X rear windshield visibility is terrible.
The X visors are goofy and cannot swing to the side to block the sun, the sun has th be in just the right position to be blocked.
The Model X has XM radio without having to spend an extra $2,000 for a Sunroof as with the S.
The X has door pockets & frames around the door windows.
The X has a bigger Frunk & can seat 7 people.
The S has a parcel Shelf that completely conceals the contents like a trunk.

The S's visors aren't exactly award winning. They barely do anything (and they still don't have lights in the mirrors :D). I actually liked the X's design in terms of magnetic attachment and the fact it disappears.

X has a helicopter windshield. Big big plus for me.

S's rear visibility is super poor too (useless for me as I have the shade over it and only use the rearview cam (up all the time)).

There is no argument. S is the most stunning car ever.

X looks weird but when you're inside its awesome too.

All glass roof on S is awesome.

S offers proven safety (X is likely super safe as well but S has just been around longer and demonstrated is excellence in engineering).

S is, relatively, more reliable than the X in terms of niggling issues and build quality problems.

S has a lot more accessories (I have tons and they make the car so much better such as kangaroo pouches on front seats, storage solution for trunk footwell).

S can seat 5 adults + 2 kids (so it can seat 7 like the X).

X has windshield ghosting (that's what makes me afraid to get one as it would drive me batty).

X has a power spoiler (seems pretty cool but heard its annoying in winter with snow/ice).

S is cheaper

X has better HVAC air distribution (in certain configs).

I have an S 100D and my wife has an X 100D so I'm pretty well versed in this.

I absolutely love my Model S. My wife's X is cool, but I really like my car better.

The S drives much better. It rides better, handles better, just a much more pleasurable driving experience.

The S is quite a bit faster, especially on the freeway. The X is quick but the S is unreal, even at non-P spec.

The X is easier to get in and out of, although programming my S suspension to go to "Very High" at home and easy exit mode have mitigated this for the most part for me.

The cargo capacity in the 5-seat X is unreal. The Model S hatch is sized nicely of course, but it's insane how much stuff you can fit in the X.

The S range is quite a bit higher, on our last trip in my S we were always ready to stop well before the car. I think in the X this will be more evenly matched.

If the car was just for me, Model S in an easy win. If you have other needs then it might be closer, but in my opinion the Model S is just a better car. I don't mean to diminish the Model X, it's a really awesome vehicle too - but the Model S is just something else.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, we are also a couple with no kids so similar in that regard.

Reactions: RyanS and Eclectic
I like the look of the X, but I do think the S looks better. The S is obviously a little faster, handles a little tighter, and goes a little further on an electron.

That said, I'd go X every time - for me personally it's a much better driving experience because of the huge windshield and better seating position and easier entry/exit. A lot of cars don't have enough head room for me to begin with - and a large fraction of the ones that do, I have to crane my head to see up to the traffic light if I'm near the front of the line. Somehow this isn't a problem anymore. :)

Comparing a similarly equipped Model S 100D with a Model X 100D......
The X doors close themselves.
I believe you are mixed up a bit here, that should read - Model S 335miles, Model X 295 miles.
Also, i am not sure that the X doors close themselves unless you have a premium upgrade?! Not sure.

For the record, I had the same dilemna, but chose the X because I am self-employed and wanted to avail of the taxation advantages.

I believe you are mixed up a bit here, that should read - Model S 335miles, Model X 295 miles.
Also, i am not sure that the X doors close themselves unless you have a premium upgrade?! Not sure.

For the record, I had the same dilemna, but chose the X because I am self-employed and wanted to avail of the taxation advantages.
Oops sorry flipped labels.
Good catch.

Oops sorry flipped labels.
Good catch.
Hey moderator!
If your moderating?
I mangled the first post!
Do you have the power to edit it?
If so please do.
Thanks.

Reads:
Range & 0-60

I flipped the miles

Should be:
Range & 0-60
Model S 335 miles, 4.1 sec
Model X 295 miles, 4.7 sec

I owned a MS for two years and traded to a MX (16-months in).

I tell people to get the sedan unless they have a specific need for the X. In particular to seat 6/7 and the Falcon Doors (for pure ‘ooooh factor’ joy).

The vehicles have the same drive train, and storage is about the same. The MS will get you better range and performance all other things being equal.

Now, would I trade in for another X?
You darn right... but again, that would be just for the love of the doors.

If you play golf, the S is a better choice. The trunk in the S allow two sets of golf clubs to be laid cross-ways in the back of the trunk.

In the, the rear trunk area is not as wide, so you have to remove the longest clubs (woods) and set those separately, in order to get the clubs in the back without folding down the rear row of seats.

The range difference between S & X is also significant - depending on the road trip, the extra 40 miles of range in the S can be significant, if it allows you to skip a supercharger.

For me, the functionality of standard doors wins hands down in favor of the MS. I'd love to get rid of the presenting door handles on the MS to make it even more reliable, but I would not want to deal with the MX doors over the long term. The one thing you identified that I think is a real differentiator between them though is the ease of access to the car. The MS is a lot harder to enter and exit, so that would definitely eliminate it for a lot of people.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Just got my VIN today on a Model S 100D
1E57951A-F4FC-4435-904B-0EBEDD34D3C8.jpeg

Last edited:
I ordered my S as well and it’s coming in March. While I’m not going to let Consumer Reports tell me which car to buy, I’d be lying if I said this didn’t finalize my decision to get an S over the X because all else equal I like SUVs a lot better.

Attachments

• 49E50E65-2FC3-44F6-B233-E8B687E4CD2B.png
    49E50E65-2FC3-44F6-B233-E8B687E4CD2B.png
    296.6 KB · Views: 57
  • F996F81B-9B6F-4525-A3FB-BFF07C7349B0.png
    F996F81B-9B6F-4525-A3FB-BFF07C7349B0.png
    294.9 KB · Views: 51