Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S to Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I find problematic is you sold a car based on what the company was doing, and not the merits of the car.

I had a 2015 Model S, and absolutely loved it.

In 2018 when I traded it in on a P3D+ I was concerned over where I saw the company going. So I almost didn't get the P3D+.

Instead I tried putting a deposit on the Taycan, but the dealer simply said they'd add me to the reservation list and let me know when they want a deposit.

I ended up trading in the Model S on the P3D. I haven't touched the Taycan reservation as I'm in a wait and and see pattern.

It's premature to call it the demise of Tesla. Some things came to ahead (like grounding FSD in reality), and the cruel reality of what it takes to build a $35K EV.

I don't know what my next EV will be.

It could be a Y
It could be the Tesla pickup
It could be an Audi E-Tron
It could be a Porsche Taycan

The Audi/Porsche depend on the charging network. I haven't been impressed with Porsche with their plans for their network, and I don't have a lot of conviction in the Electrify America network.

So it might ultimately come down to the importance of having a large supercharging like network. Even if another car company builds a better car.

Tired of “S” nonsense and put deposit on new Taycan that will be a serious car compared to the Tesla S. Sold my 2015 S because I believe the uniqueness of the car and company have been compromised. Sorry to see demise of Tesla.

So are you renting a car for next couple years? I put my deposit down almost 1.5 years ago (the dealer was taking deposits before Porsche did that officially). I am #16 on the list, which means at best one year post delivery start - guessing early 2021. For you it will be to the very least the same - unless you own the Porsche dealership or willing to buy an overpriced one from an early reservation holder.

I am leaning actually the opposite way - will likely cancel the Taycan deposit. All signals are that range will be ~250 miles or slightly above. This does not cut it for me. Furthermore, it seems the refreshed S will be out before the first Taycan is delivered. Porsche keeps sending me "valued customer" emails, but is just vaporware, no real announcement on reveal / first delivery. And to top it up, the sister company still has not delivered any of the e-trons revealed last September

Instead of putting up with the Tesla nonsense you can begin to put up with the Porsche nonsense,

Biggest nonsense right now is that Porsche refuses to release pictures or specifications of the production car. Still only display the Show Car.

There are lots of Porsche true believers. They will travel down the path with faith that the car will be fantastic, but for some reason Porsche still will not show what the production vehicle will be.

Instead of putting up with the Tesla nonsense you can begin to put up with the Porsche nonsense

There's some truth to this. My cousin bought a custom 718 Cayman and was told it would take about 3 months for delivery. 7 months later she was ready to cancel the order and get her deposit back. They gave her some excuse that the car was being emissions tested and would need another month. That said, neither Tesla nor Porsche seem to be consumer driven companies. There's a lot of bold statements, unkept promises, and uncertainty about their long-term viability. However, I'm drawn to Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure and the idea of an updatable car. I know Tesla isn't for everyone and I know their Service Center experience can leave much to be desired. Unless something catastrophic happens to our MS, I don't see us parting with it.

Reactions: Ciaopec
So are you renting a car for next couple years? I put my deposit down almost 1.5 years ago (the dealer was taking deposits before Porsche did that officially). I am #16 on the list, which means at best one year post delivery start - guessing early 2021. For you it will be to the very least the same - unless you own the Porsche dealership or willing to buy an overpriced one from an early reservation holder.

I am leaning actually the opposite way - will likely cancel the Taycan deposit. All signals are that range will be ~250 miles or slightly above. This does not cut it for me. Furthermore, it seems the refreshed S will be out before the first Taycan is delivered. Porsche keeps sending me "valued customer" emails, but is just vaporware, no real announcement on reveal / first delivery. And to top it up, the sister company still has not delivered any of the e-trons revealed last September
Actually I have a Cayenne and other cars to drive and did love the Tesla S but wanted a new fresher version of the car so sold it after I saw the latest offers with vegan leather, etc....not the fit and finish I had hoped for from Tesla by this time in their life cycle. Patience is certainly needed to wait for new vehicles like the TAYCAN but as No. 23 on the list, I am optimistic about delivery in 2020.

There's some truth to this. My cousin bought a custom 718 Cayman and was told it would take about 3 months for delivery. 7 months later she was ready to cancel the order and get her deposit back. They gave her some excuse that the car was being emissions tested and would need another month. That said, neither Tesla nor Porsche seem to be consumer driven companies. There's a lot of bold statements, unkept promises, and uncertainty about their long-term viability. However, I'm drawn to Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure and the idea of an updatable car. I know Tesla isn't for everyone and I know their Service Center experience can leave much to be desired. Unless something catastrophic happens to our MS, I don't see us parting with it.
Agree with you about charger stations but that part of the EV program does not mean anything to me since have other cars and never take road trips anymore, so for me it is just the fun around a small area in southwest Florida.

My friend who loves Porches and Jaguars just went to put in a reservation for a Taycan. The dealer talked him into driving home in a a new Macan instead. Now he owns two. I find this telling.
I have a Cayenne and love it too! Also an Aston Martin but don't drive it too much....just love cars and willing to wait for the newest and coolest EV on the planet assuming it is still here in the next two years!

What I find problematic is you sold a car based on what the company was doing, and not the merits of the car.

I had a 2015 Model S, and absolutely loved it.

In 2018 when I traded it in on a P3D+ I was concerned over where I saw the company going. So I almost didn't get the P3D+.

Instead I tried putting a deposit on the Taycan, but the dealer simply said they'd add me to the reservation list and let me know when they want a deposit.

I ended up trading in the Model S on the P3D. I haven't touched the Taycan reservation as I'm in a wait and and see pattern.

It's premature to call it the demise of Tesla. Some things came to ahead (like grounding FSD in reality), and the cruel reality of what it takes to build a $35K EV.

I don't know what my next EV will be.

It could be a Y
It could be the Tesla pickup
It could be an Audi E-Tron
It could be a Porsche Taycan

The Audi/Porsche depend on the charging network. I haven't been impressed with Porsche with their plans for their network, and I don't have a lot of conviction in the Electrify America network.

So it might ultimately come down to the importance of having a large supercharging like network. Even if another car company builds a better car.
I did test drives in the latest TESLA S models and was not impressed with the fit and finish and worried about service and the life of the company. By the way, charging stations do not mean much to me since we only drive in the local area but I know they are an important part of the owning an EV for most people.

Tired of “S” nonsense and put deposit on new Taycan that will be a serious car compared to the Tesla S. Sold my 2015 S because I believe the uniqueness of the car and company have been compromised. Sorry to see demise of Tesla.
So your criteria is a unique electric car and company?

Got you bro:
smile.jpg

This fact scares the hell out of me, and the heads of traditional manufacturers too. (Albeit only in boardroom whispers...)

The Osborne Effect On The Auto Industry | CleanTechnica
Wonderful article and thank you so much for sending it to me. I truly believe the Osborne Effect and my engineering background guides me in my decision making process and I have lived these kind of cycles in various development projects.

I did test drives in the latest TESLA S models and was not impressed with the fit and finish and worried about service and the life of the company. By the way, charging stations do not mean much to me since we only drive in the local area but I know they are an important part of the owning an EV for most people.

I am sure Taycan is going to be a fabulous car. If only drive local, it will be a good choice for you. I have a 200 mile roundtrip that I do frequently. In winter I need a vehicle with ~300 mile range to make it safely. Summer is not an issue.