Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S to Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure Taycan is going to be a fabulous car. If only drive local, it will be a good choice for you. I have a 200 mile roundtrip that I do frequently. In winter I need a vehicle with ~300 mile range to make it safely. Summer is not an issue.
Thanks - different lifestyles have need options like distances you describe. Here in Naples, cold weather, snow and travel distances are not an issue....just a good life and lot's of neat cars to play with for all of us retired old folks! Hope I live long enough to see the fabulous transition that will take place over the next decade.

Thanks - different lifestyles have need options like distances you describe. Here in Naples, cold weather, snow and travel distances are not an issue....just a good life and lot's of neat cars to play with for all of us retired old folks! Hope I live long enough to see the fabulous transition that will take place over the next decade.
Exactly. I like how this thread isn’t degrading into a religious T-car vs P-car debate. Diff needs/requirements/situations. Taycan will indeed be a fantastic car I’m sure, but early adopters most decidedly won’t buy it as their sole means of transport for long commutes/road trips.
Will def be interested in hearing reviews from current/past Tesla owners once deliveries start happening, esp #23 on the list!

Thanks ACA man. If the Taycan is officially announced in September, and it looks as good as expected, I would imaging that the New Roadster might be unveiled about the same time. Thr Taycan will cost less, but the Roadster should be a quantum leap in performance.

These will be interesting times indeed as the world begins to wake up to so many EV possibilities.

Exactly. I like how this thread isn’t degrading into a religious T-car vs P-car debate. Diff needs/requirements/situations. Taycan will indeed be a fantastic car I’m sure, but early adopters most decidedly won’t buy it as their sole means of transport for long commutes/road trips.
Will def be interested in hearing reviews from current/past Tesla owners once deliveries start happening, esp #23 on the list!
Certainly will post if I get any kind of notice or update other than the one yesterday where they showed new drawings which showed the car very close to the Mission E. I am told that the back suicide doors will not pass muster in the USA on the early models but that info was my dealer friends who ordered the car for my account. Anyway, appreciate your comments and I too agree that these posts should not be anything but civil discussions for information purposes only but not try to sway anyones opinion. Be safe !

Reactions: Doanster1
Instead of putting up with the Tesla nonsense you can begin to put up with the Porsche nonsense,

Biggest nonsense right now is that Porsche refuses to release pictures or specifications of the production car. Still only display the Show Car.

There are lots of Porsche true believers. They will travel down the path with faith that the car will be fantastic, but for some reason Porsche still will not show what the production vehicle will be.
Also comparing an existing Tesla or a 3 or 4 year old Tesla from 2014/2015 to a conceptual, best-case Porsche or Audi appearing 1/2/3 years from now is not the most logical, even on specs. The sad thing is that comparing on specs doesn't give a natural win to Porsche or Audi automatically. I'd suggest for anyone considering the Audi e-Tron to find one at a local auto show and sit in it. I did that recently and let's just say I won't be buying one as I don't feel like paying for a Model 3 size vehicle with X or S pricing. Good luck on your decision either way. As they say the grass isn't always greener.

Also comparing an existing Tesla or a 3 or 4 year old Tesla from 2014/2015 to a conceptual, best-case Porsche or Audi appearing 1/2/3 years from now is not the most logical, even on specs. The sad thing is that comparing on specs doesn't give a natural win to Porsche or Audi automatically. I'd suggest for anyone considering the Audi e-Tron to find one at a local auto show and sit in it. I did that recently and let's just say I won't be buying one as I don't feel like paying for a Model 3 size vehicle with X or S pricing. Good luck on your decision either way. As they say the grass isn't always greener.
I agree with you about the Audi e-Tron as I had a deposit on it and cancelled it when I saw the car...very dissapointing.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Actually I have a Cayenne and other cars to drive and did love the Tesla S but wanted a new fresher version of the car so sold it after I saw the latest offers with vegan leather, etc....not the fit and finish I had hoped for from Tesla by this time in their life cycle. Patience is certainly needed to wait for new vehicles like the TAYCAN but as No. 23 on the list, I am optimistic about delivery in 2020.
Lol, nobody even knows what the car looks like at this point.

I'm a Porsche guy at heart, having owned 4 newer models in the previous 7-8 years. The Taycan looks promising and should be a real looker, but it's to far out from real dealership deliveries and I would not want to be in the group of Porsche's initial crack into the EV world.
I will definitely be keeping my MS P100D for years to come, with possibly another 911 next to it for some ICE fun on the weekends

Reactions: shellderp and BBone
I've had VW/Audi/Porsche cars for many many years. Even in the early 2000's Audi was promising an e-tron showing concept cars almost every year and then... well nothing going to production. VAG has a bad reputation of actually delivering exciting cars to the North American market. If you wanted any of really good RS cars, Europe was the only place to get them. Now, the Taycan comes along with the e-Tron. Guess what, total Europe focus. Charging infrastructure built out in Europe first. No cars available at NA dealers. The e-tron is a sold order only car. Taycan is a reservation only car at this point. So I'm not holding out much hope for a shift in focus for VAG. It actually is not their largest market but they also like it that way.

Just to differentiate Tesla from Porsche... It was a series of clicks to buy the Tesla and even with a complicated remote delivery to a detail shop for coating it was super easy. For the 911, it was a 6 month trial to even find a car that was in a configurable state. No helkp from the local dealer, I had to invoke some connections into the ordering process to find the car I wanted. A plane ride to pick it up and a 4 hour ordeal at that dealer for a cash sale. Terrible. This is the difference between a company that understands the market and one that tries to make the market adjust to the way they want to do business.

I would really like to see a Taycan at my local Porsche dealer but they aren't going to get an allocation. They hardly qualify for 3 or so 911 allocations a year as it is. You want a Macon? They got lots because that is what the bulk of the market is buying.

Porsche craftsmanship is way 100 times better. My wife MACAN quality is so much better than my MS.

Great seat...tight tolerance on body seam...etc

I think the high cost and majority of the cost of our MS is in the technology

I'm sure the Taycan will be a fantastic car. Porsches always are. I admit I have a classic Porsche parked next to my Model S - my childhood dream. But since I have the Tesla, I only use the Porsche when I want to go slow. ;)

I believe they will build a useful fast charging network eventually. It will take time, but it will happen over the next few years. Perhaps their Electrify America initiative has deeper pockets than Tesla, and can expand faster.

What disappointed me the most, though, was that the Taycan is not a hatchback. Like the Model 3, it has a separate trunk, which severely limits flexibility for transporting people vs. cargo. This makes a Taycan impractical in my book.

But there is hope - they are coming-out with a shooting brake version eventually. I prefer the Model S hatchback style, though. And the option to use the Superchargers in addition to anything else.

Last edited:
It’ll be a great car with unknown reliability that you can’t take on a road trip. There are pros and cons to both cars. I’ll stick with Tesla.

hey on the bright side at least if he crashes it, it wont take him god knows how many months to get it fixed and repaired because porsche doesnt do stupid things like not have enough inventory on hand for MONTHS in logistics.

Porsche craftsmanship is way 100 times better. My wife MACAN quality is so much better than my MS.
At this stage in its life cycle the Model S should be leaving the factory perfect, but they still don't and it is left to the SC to fix it. The SC should not be having to align panels or correctly seal weather strips on brand new cars, and a car this mature Tesla should have been able to iron out all the common rattles and squeaks they develop as well.

At this stage in its life cycle the Model S should be leaving the factory perfect, but they still don't and it is left to the SC to fix it. The SC should not be having to align panels or correctly seal weather strips on brand new cars, and a car this mature Tesla should have been able to iron out all the common rattles and squeaks they develop as well.

You are so right about the fit and finish of the car, especially on the Tesla S which was one of my pet peeves when I had the car. At one point in my ownership, I pulled up to close to a concrete bumper and when I backed up it did some damage to the bottom black guard under the car. The approved TESLA garage manager told me he was trained at the factory for several weeks to do repairs and invested in a lot of equipment but had trouble getting parts but the factory shipped him two guard replacements by mistake and he replaced my damaged part but also told me that the biggest problem he had doing body work on the "S" was that NO

You are so right about the fit and finish of the car, especially on the Tesla S which was one of my pet peeves when I had the car. At one point in my ownership, I pulled up to close to a concrete bumper and when I backed up it did some damage to the bottom black guard under the car. The approved TESLA garage manager told me he was trained at the factory for several weeks to do repairs and invested in a lot of equipment but had trouble getting parts but the factory shipped him two guard replacements by mistake and he replaced my damaged part but also told me that the biggest problem he had doing body work on the "S" was that NO TWO CARS were alike so it took a lot of time to align body part replacements. Anyway, thanks for your post.

Reactions: P100D_Me