Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, they've been using "fast" to refer to AC chargers for a while (see previous maps/tables). I'm not sure if they're intentionally being disingenuous to confuse people or really have no idea. You'd think Chargefox would be advising them on specifics.

Rapid charging sites will have CCS2 plugs and can produce 150kW maximum output. Ultra-rapid charging sites will have both CCS2 and CHAdeMO plugs and can produce 200kW maximum output.

Credit where credit is due - it's great that they'll all be 150+ kW, and that a gradual phaseout of Chademo is planned.

But...
  • Are 150 and 200 kW really different enough to warrant different labels (rapid vs ultra-rapid)?
  • Who decides these labels anyway?
  • Why are the 200 kW sites getting Chademo? Chademo vehicles max out at 75-100 kW.

Unless there is some sort of tiering going on (e.g. Ultra-rapid sites will cover the state at a minimum X km gap for all EVs; rapid sites will provide additional capacity/diversity for CCS vehicles at a minimum X/2 km gap).

Are 150 and 200 kW really different enough to warrant different labels (rapid vs ultra-rapid)?

No.

Who decides these labels anyway?

The marketing/comms department. There is no standard accepted nomenclature. My local council invented a term “Level 4” charging for 150 kW+ 🤷‍♂️.

I bracket charging into 5 categories (people might also disagree with my bracketing 😄). I guess it would be nice if the SAE or IEC or someone decreed uniform names for them that were meaningful for the population at large. Maybe once this industry becomes a bit more mature, uniform terminology will embed itself.
  • AC 1.2-4.8 kW (private/GPO charging)
  • AC 7.2-22 kW (public AC charging)
  • DC 25-50 kW (slow DC charging)
  • DC 75-175 kW (fast DC charging)
  • DC 250 kW+ (ultrafast DC charging)

Reactions: DasBoot
No.

The marketing/comms department. There is no standard accepted nomenclature. My local council invented a term “Level 4” charging for 150 kW+ 🤷‍♂️.

I bracket charging into 5 categories (people might also disagree with my bracketing 😄). I guess it would be nice if the SAE or IEC or someone decreed uniform names for them that were meaningful for the population at large. Maybe once this industry becomes a bit more mature, uniform terminology will embed itself.
  • AC 1.2-4.8 kW (private/GPO charging)
  • AC 7.2-22 kW (public AC charging)
  • DC 25-50 kW (slow DC charging)
  • DC 75-175 kW (fast DC charging)
  • DC 250 kW+ (ultrafast DC charging)
May have to educate the populace on what ac and dc means first.
Ultimately the ev public just need to know that charging speeds are between 0 and 250. The higher the number the faster the speed.

Reactions: moa999
I'd probably put anything above 300A (120kW for 400V cars) in the ultra/super category so it includes all Tesla superchargers.

800V cars (which is used in the 350kW number) confuses things even more

The difference between Tesla V2s and V3s is really only apparent if you arrive below 40% (and I'd love to see the stats but suspect many don't), and if you have to share.

Reactions: Chuq
Unfortunately for the RAA of South Australia they're heading towards troubled waters, the initial funding based on data available at the time is now seriously inadequate for EV traffic in 2023 and beyond. The fact that the RAA continue to put out positive media releases provide a false sense of security to the public, at some stage their going to have to fess up or hope thst the South Australian government release a huge amount of extra funding.
A few issues:
Building a charging infrastructure based on SA sales is not good policy, the rapidly increasing sales in other states has to be seriously considered, these interstate cars are already travelling on roads connecting Port Augusta with Mildura, the NT border and the WA border. More than 30 cars have charged at the Nullarbor Roadhouse in the past 4 months on a ad hoc 3 phase outlet, imagine the traffic flow when the RAA proudly announce their "high quality" charging route is operational, imagine the EV drivers shock when they arrive to find a maximum of 22kw charging and there's a queue of EVs.
Also building charging in regional areas is one thing, some sites lack toilets and other facilities at any time let alone on a 24 hour basis.
Lastly the high winds and sudden change of direction that is often experienced in western and northern SA makes gaps greater than 220kms a potential issue for an EV driver that doesn't study the BOM forecast, roadhouses are the obvious choice for charge points but their spacing is less than ideal.
To deal with the looming issues a lot more funding is required.

Last edited:
Interesting photo here from FB about a Jolt branded 75kW Tritium unit, which seems to suggest some SA Govt funding attached based on the sticker.

Screenshot_20221231-162254.png

It's this site in Marden. Also doesn't seem to have any of Jolt's normal advertising hoardings.

Seems that a few others have popped up as well.

Reactions: cafz
Good find.
Some interesting trials there - particularly the variable/ ToU pricing (will be interesting to see how they advertise the rates) and the 10x 150kW chargers at Nuriootpa.

28 7kW chargers at NRMA Victor Harbour seems a little too forward thinking (excessive) to me.
Maybe in an Adelaide mall.

Good find.
Some interesting trials there - particularly the variable/ ToU pricing (will be interesting to see how they advertise the rates) and the 10x 150kW chargers at Nuriootpa.

28 7kW chargers at NRMA Victor Harbour seems a little too forward thinking (excessive) to me.
Maybe in an Adelaide mall.
Victor harbour is the prime holiday destination out of Adelaide. It gets crazy busy in summer and easter, so it seems to me that catering for mass tourism influx is where you need that kind of quantity.

and at 7kw itll take all day to charge
I‘m not too worried about that. If you are on a day trip 7kW is about 80-100km/hr of charging, so sorts out getting there and back for reasonably expected day trip distances. A couple of hours driving, a few hours seeing sights etc, then the drive home.

If you are there overnight, then also no problem - plenty of time to fill even a 100kW battery.

I imagine it would be cheaper and easier to install, connect and supply many of these slow AC chargers vs several faster DC chargers.

Total management of the electricity demand would be another thing, but more (I speculate) a matter of instantaneous demand rather than specific source of demand.

I‘d be glad of the thoughts of the electrical engineers among us.

Reactions: paulp
Victor Harbour is only 85Km from Adelaide and is not really on the way to somewhere else so AC charging seems appropriate. A Model 3 RWD starting at 90% will arrive with 68% according to ABRP. You could even do the trip in a series 1 Leaf and refill the battery overnight; perfect “clean” weekend.

Reactions: Vostok and paulp
7kW is about 80-100km/hr of charging

7kw (assuming you get the maximum) is 50km for an hour of charging (35km in a X or S) (Wall Connector)

Victor Harbour is only 85Km from Adelaide and is not really on the way to somewhere else so AC charging seems appropriate. A Model 3 RWD starting at 90% will arrive with 68% according to ABRP. You could even do the trip in a series 1 Leaf and refill the battery overnight; perfect “clean” weekend.

IF youre coming from Adelaide on a full tank sure. If we are going to spend $12m id rather see 25 sites with real charging (charging 50kw minimum). than 75 sites with 7kw.

Reactions: Blue heaven
I‘m not too worried about that. If you are on a day trip 7kW is about 80-100km/hr of charging, so sorts out getting there and back for reasonably expected day trip distances. A couple of hours driving, a few hours seeing sights etc, then the drive home.

If you are there overnight, then also no problem - plenty of time to fill even a 100kW battery.

I imagine it would be cheaper and easier to install, connect and supply many of these slow AC chargers vs several faster DC chargers.

Total management of the electricity demand would be another thing, but more (I speculate) a matter of instantaneous demand rather than specific source of demand.

I‘d be glad of the thoughts of the electrical engineers among us.
80kms per hour of charging from 7kw would require achieving 114wh/km. On country roads 45kms per hour of when charging from 7kw is more realistic.