Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nuriootpa.jpg

New photo on plugshare for the Nuriootpa site, not mine this time, shows some possible site clearing/preparation on the site in the same location I photographed earlier.

that's a great location. right on the highway, plenty of options there. 10 bays is good capacity too. Flexible pricing will really help in SA during the day when we are mostly negative prices. should be better pricing than 66c from tesla.

The Rocland Group and JET Charge, at the new Sturt Highway service station in Nuriootpa, will demonstrate how rapid EV charging using time of use pricing tariffs and surge pricing or dynamic power delivery can support and positively influence regional EV charging behaviours.

The 10 rapid charging bays will provide up to 150kW of power output to a vehicle and customers will benefit from a flexible pricing model that will incentivize use during periods of high renewable energy generation.

The trial will demonstrate how essential highway EV smart charging can contribute to overall electricity system strength, without adversely impacting upon EV driver perceptions or user experience on regional road trips.

Yes, but ChargeFox plus RAA discount ... much ... much ... cheaper

This is very generalised of course, but the things that most people care about are:

• Reliability (it works)
  • Availability (number of stalls)
  • Location (in the right spot, easy to get to)
  • Charging speed (faster the better)
  • Nearby facilities (food, toilets, etc)
[ .. daylight .. ]
  • Cost - comes way down the list. At least with the existing prices for ultra-fast charing - 48c, 55c, 60c, 66c, it's much of a muchness.
Sure, in some cases if you want to take a long lunch, a 50 kW might suffice, and if it's only 20-40c, great!

But how many drivers (Tesla drivers in particular) are going to, for example, stop at the 50 kW at Holbrook instead of the supercharger at Gundagai, just to save money?

Addendum: Should make a special mention for price gougers, like the sites in Tassie that used to be $1/kWh (they're now 50c/kWh). That won't fly when there is an Evie 350 kW only 20 km down the road. However on the Nullarbor, where it's 200 km either direction to the nearest alternative, it's a fair option.

This is very generalised of course, but the things that most people care about are:

• Reliability (it works)
  • Availability (number of stalls)
  • Location (in the right spot, easy to get to)
  • Charging speed (faster the better)
  • Nearby facilities (food, toilets, etc)
[ .. daylight .. ]
  • Cost - comes way down the list. At least with the existing prices for ultra-fast charing - 48c, 55c, 60c, 66c, it's much of a muchness.
Sure, in some cases if you want to take a long lunch, a 50 kW might suffice, and if it's only 20-40c, great!

But how many drivers (Tesla drivers in particular) are going to, for example, stop at the 50 kW at Holbrook instead of the supercharger at Gundagai, just to save money?

Addendum: Should make a special mention for price gougers, like the sites in Tassie that used to be $1/kWh (they're now 50c/kWh). That won't fly when there is an Evie 350 kW only 20 km down the road. However on the Nullarbor, where it's 200 km either direction to the nearest alternative, it's a fair option.
My observations kinda disagree. Four times each month, I do a 500km trip. There is one town in the middle with a 2-port ChargeFox rapid charger and a 6-port Tesla SuperCharger. I have seen Tesla owners use the SuperCharger once in 12 months and about 20 times at the ChargeFox. The Tesla is available, closers to fine foods, good toilets, faster and in the right sport. The ChargeFox is not always working, only 2 ports, in a crappy location, slower and near poor facilities.

stop at the 50 kW at Holbrook instead of the supercharger at Gundagai, just to save money
Not Holbrook..
But many would stop at NRMA Jugiong for the Sir George Hotel or Long Track Pantry over Oliver's at Gundagai.

Won't save you money all up, but much nicer food.

It's a combination of amenities, price, charging speed and availability.

My observations kinda disagree. Four times each month, I do a 500km trip. There is one town in the middle with a 2-port ChargeFox rapid charger and a 6-port Tesla SuperCharger. I have seen Tesla owners use the SuperCharger once in 12 months and about 20 times at the ChargeFox. The Tesla is available, closers to fine foods, good toilets, faster and in the right sport. The ChargeFox is not always working, only 2 ports, in a crappy location, slower and near poor facilities.
some of us owners with older S and X enjoy free supercharging for life of the car, so tesla it is. Equally at the Adelaide central bus station charging centre I regularly see a tesla on the non tesla charger, but maybe that is because the 4 tesla superchargers were full on arrival, which they often are.

My observations kinda disagree.

But many would stop at NRMA Jugiong for the Sir George Hotel or Long Track Pantry over Oliver's at Gundagai.
I thought I might get some examples :p

And as another self-example - when I did a couple of return Hobart-Launceston trips around Christmas time, I used the new Oatlands 80 kW (temporarily free) charger every time instead of the Campbell Town 350 kW (60c/kWh) one. Part of that was because the Oatlands one is new, uses different hardware (Kempower) that I wanted to test, and was installed by a local company that I wanted to support. But being free didn't hurt. I guess because I knew the "free" status was a temporary introductory thing.

I suppose another way to say it, is that we shouldn't be celebrating a race to the bottom on prices. That's how you get businesses that don't care about reliability (because they can't afford the maintenance) or availability (because even when the charger gets busy, it's not bringing in enough revenue to justify expansion).

The first RAA Charge sites are live in South Australia, and there's a new charging locator at - https://our.raa.com.au/raa-charge-locator

Use the Chargefox app to activate/pay. All single phase (7kW) type 2 stations for now.

Some have peak (5pm-10pm 32c/kWh) and off peak pricing (25c/kWh all other times) (eg Marion Holiday Park and Lakes Resort Hotel).

Others, eg chargers inside the UPark stations, are free for the first hour, and then 25c/kWh after that.

The first RAA Charge sites are live in South Australia. All single phase (7kW) type 2 stations for now and on Chargefox network.

Also dedicated charging locator but no pricing so best stay on Plugshare - https://our.raa.com.au/raa-charge-locator

Some have peak (5pm-10pm 32c/kWh) and off peak pricing (25c/kWh all other times) (eg Marion Holiday Park and Lakes Resort Hotel). Others are free for the first hour, and then 25c/kWh after that. (chargers inside the UPark stations)

The first RAA Charge sites are live in South Australia. All single phase (7kW) type 2 stations for now and on Chargefox network.

Also dedicated charging locator but no pricing so best stay on Plugshare - https://our.raa.com.au/raa-charge-locator

Some have peak (5pm-10pm 32c/kWh) and off peak pricing (25c/kWh all other times) (eg Marion Holiday Park and Lakes Resort Hotel). Others are free for the first hour, and then 25c/kWh after that. (chargers inside the UPark stations)
The one in Mount Gambier is away from everything useful and will be on motel property. A weird decision there and 7kw..
Still slightly closer than the 250kw Telsa SC located at the OTR on the outskirts of town.