Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad news for Canadian waiting to order M3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do u think tesla will drop the price of the cars by 7500 after the rebate expires after 200,000th car production?
By then they will have the SR version which is more then adequate for most people. They might drop on the LR. Right now its 9G in the US. 5G is more sensible. They still have to deliver over 400K. Its will be interesting how Amaericans adapt to losing the Tax rebate.

Also caution on the Ontario rebate being applicable to the AWD version, fully loaded it will exceed the $75K limit for the existing rebate. And any party that comes in will probably not raise that floor.

The current program limit of max $75,000 is based on the MSRP of the base cost of the car before options. I'm pretty confident AWD would be considered an option. If the current program survives the election, I think AWD buyers would be OK.

Reactions: sitter_k
This is a real downer. I saw my first M3 in the wild yesterday in Burlington. Blue with 19" wheels - it was beautiful!
I suppose it's time to give up hope in having my M3 by the end of the year. I'm not even a day 1 reservation holder :(

I priced out a 2016 Model S 75D at a local dealership in Burlington and unfortunately, without the $14,000 rebate it's out of my budget. Even a fully loaded M3 with rebate comes to an "affordable" $77K after taxes.

I heard rumours that a few parties are looking at offering a "no tax" incentive on EV's both new and used. Does anyone have any information on that? That alone would save me $10,000 on the vehicle I was looking at!

I suppose for the majority of Canadians holding out for AWD M3's, a used Model S seems to be the way to go. More storage, larger vehicle and free super charging might not be such a bad idea!

This is a real downer. I saw my first M3 in the wild yesterday in Burlington. Blue with 19" wheels - it was beautiful!
I suppose it's time to give up hope in having my M3 by the end of the year. I'm not even a day 1 reservation holder :(

I priced out a 2016 Model S 75D at a local dealership in Burlington and unfortunately, without the $14,000 rebate it's out of my budget. Even a fully loaded M3 with rebate comes to an "affordable" $77K after taxes.

I heard rumours that a few parties are looking at offering a "no tax" incentive on EV's both new and used. Does anyone have any information on that? That alone would save me $10,000 on the vehicle I was looking at!

I suppose for the majority of Canadians holding out for AWD M3's, a used Model S seems to be the way to go. More storage, larger vehicle and free super charging might not be such a bad idea!
Have you been invited?

Not yet, I have friends who ordered just a couple of months before I did who have been invited. I also have one friend who's a day-one reservation and he stuck with RWD. His delivery is in a week apparently!

Sorry, don't know your situation, but just to be clear.. when you go to My Tesla, you don't have the option of selecting the type of car you'd like to have? Because there are two screens, one that's just telling you to wait, and the other asks you what kind of car you'd like. If you select RWD, you can build your car. I never received an email from Tesla.

oh
Sorry, don't know your situation, but just to be clear.. when you go to My Tesla, you don't have the option of selecting the type of car you'd like to have? Because there are two screens, one that's just telling you to wait, and the other asks you what kind of car you'd like. If you select RWD, you can build your car. I never received an email from Tesla.

Oh really? Let me check this out! As per the comment below. I May just stick with RWD for the time being if it's available to configure. Worst case - sell and buy AWD when it's more readily available (probably in the next 2 years)

oh

Oh really? Let me check this out! As per the comment below. I May just stick with RWD for the time being if it's available to configure. Worst case - sell and buy AWD when it's more readily available (probably in the next 2 years)

So I click on "First Production" and click save. When I reload the page, it's back to Dual Motor. I've read that this is a bug on the website. But both options still say "Late 2018"...

If the rebate is gone, I may just switch to a SR AWD and wait till middle of 2019. I did not realize that the SR itself is almost the range of my 5 year old 85 model S. I still find the battery is plenty for daily use. Think of it this way; the rebate is basically a free upgrade to LR. If I think that way, it doesn't hurt that much if the rebate is gone.

By that time, rebates are gone. You ended up not losing any money swap to AWD. But have enjoyed Model 3 one year ahead.:)

This is true!
Once given the opportunity to configure, I may just do that. See how the RWD does in the winter and trade it off next year once the AWD is a little less rare. I feel due to their rarity in the beginning that the M3's are going to hold their value quite well. Especially if you get the rebate!