Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safest parking in Waikiki

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Papafox

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Hawaii
Referral Code
I don't mind weaving my way around the bears in Alaska, but parking in Wakiki gives me the creeps because I don't want door dings on my Model S. Any suggestions for the widest and or safest parking spots in Waikiki? Perhaps an EV charging spot would be safest because of EVs parked next you you and a general respect between EV owners. Thanks for any comments! Yes, Iceman will be snoozing in the backseat wherever I am, enjoying air-conditioned comfort. I most typically have a desire to park somewhere close to Kalakaua, in about the middle of Waikiki, but if there's a really good alternative, I can walk a bit.

Overall, I think Hale Koa's lot is the best, assuming you got validation and a reason to be there, but there's no charging stalls (that I've found). Sheraton and Hawaii Prince are tied for the best non-used EV charging stalls. The lone charging stall at the zoo is good, but it's just one, and you're likely to get blessed by the birds and trees.

Wide stalls are indeed hard to find in Waikiki. The parking in the former Waikiki 1&2 theaters (now Ross) is not too bad. I used to park there for work everyday for five years and only got one door ding for that entire time (and it happened while I was sitting in my car and this huge Ford F350 had his door blow wide open and struck my front quarter panel!). Validation is easy to get, all you have to do is buy any cheap doodad from Ross and they will validate. Everyone has caught on to this though and now the Ross dedicated stalls are often full (they have 2 full floors of parking) and you may have to jockey for the general parking above which are monthly cardholders for all the employees that work the various businesses around Waikiki and may have to go to the 9th or 10th floor (the top) to find parking. Maybe worth it to avoid a ding though!

hmmmm. I could post a snarky comeback, the best response is,
really?

Kort677, my point is that you're assuming I would not be charging while parked. I have never done that in an EV spot, thus no need for the lecture.

On an island that's 35 miles long, the vast majority of people who are charging in a shopping or dining area are doing so for convenience while they are shopping or dining. That is what I would be doing too. If your point is that only those individuals who cannot make it home without a charge should be charging in public EV charging parking spots, then those spots would lose 90% of their business because the vast majority of Oahu EV owners live within 15 miles of Waikiki. The parking fees of Waikiki hotels are too expensive for allowing these locations to be considered prime recharging spots by apartment dwellers who lack charging in their garages. Such EV owners are more likely to use Chademo or other types of chargers in spots where they're not paying through the nose while their EV sips electrons.

Last edited:
Wide stalls are indeed hard to find in Waikiki. The parking in the former Waikiki 1&2 theaters (now Ross) is not too bad. I used to park there for work everyday for five years and only got one door ding for that entire time (and it happened while I was sitting in my car and this huge Ford F350 had his door blow wide open and struck my front quarter panel!). Validation is easy to get, all you have to do is buy any cheap doodad from Ross and they will validate. Everyone has caught on to this though and now the Ross dedicated stalls are often full (they have 2 full floors of parking) and you may have to jockey for the general parking above which are monthly cardholders for all the employees that work the various businesses around Waikiki and may have to go to the 9th or 10th floor (the top) to find parking. Maybe worth it to avoid a ding though!

Do you join those people now that are monthly cardholders with your new job, hmmmmm? :p

• Funny
Reactions: nanimac
kort677, your heart is in the right place, but you're kinda out of your lane here. The EV charging spots in Waikiki are almost always empty. As Papafox mentioned, it's 15 miles to anywhere from Waikiki and locals avoid Waikiki like the plague. Add in that all of the EV charging spots that I know of in Waikiki you must pay for, or be a guest of the hotel, and you can understand why they are not being used.

@spleen, it's actually a HUGE problem, as Saks didn't dedicate enough stalls for employees (no surprise there) and parking is already a premium in Waikiki. There's a one-year waiting list to get a monthly parking card at the place I mentioned above, and Now I will have to walk several blocks to work since the closest my company could find is Royal Hawaiian Center.

Another parking location that had decent stalls was the Niketown/Banana republic building. The building is vacant now, so I'm not what the status of the parking lot is, but the stalls were okay - not the greatest, but there were several really good ones - and the lot was usually pretty empty, even when the stores were open upstairs.

@spleen, it's actually a HUGE problem, as Saks didn't dedicate enough stalls for employees (no surprise there) and parking is already a premium in Waikiki. There's a one-year waiting list to get a monthly parking card at the place I mentioned above, and Now I will have to walk several blocks to work since the closest my company could find is Royal Hawaiian Center.

Ugh, you'd think that they would have planned ahead a little. Not like they didn't know that this project was moving forward.

Another parking location that had decent stalls was the Niketown/Banana republic building. The building is vacant now, so I'm not what the status of the parking lot is, but the stalls were okay - not the greatest, but there were several really good ones - and the lot was usually pretty empty, even when the stores were open upstairs.

Hmm, might be worth a look. Thx!

Oh, IMP knew full well there wouldn't be enough for the employees. All malls are greedy after all, and value their income generating space far and above accommodations for support staff.

I've heard that there are 2 EV stalls in the new mall, though don't know what kind, if they're free, etc... I'll check on the details later when I work today.

Reactions: spleen
Visited International Market Place yesterday. There's 4 Chargepoint stalls on the fifth level (turn left at the top of the ramp). All are free, and no restrictions, at least for now. I noticed they don't seem to be registered on the Chargepoint network. It took unusually long after I swiped my card for the charger to unlock and it had some message about cannot connect. Also, a Leaf that arrived after me didn't have a card, and couldn't use the mobile app or phone to unlock the port.

5dFk_pPAclsURaOhUnyjWRXTHrRCD5YvUqKdtExjnoDe6VG1hx_P8TKG8C9qAw1ed-8bPx1uVxEzfWZIGKPXY8vVqF_YovS02lqpUjnZu6hfx6QwBCYJAIVCyqyEfZFUGv195SDdWNYi2HDwxnHMqPNmzl2mhMeWLV04Et3so8BlmZ3wdacdswRhSt9Z92BTd4n-GYKx6_hjoWbTYaGCR33OsHPP5TNn4pfNGbQUhXbJ4P3QKIVLzN9tAUSeDO2txKZ9gpx1lreNT_OtB6kdgbfP5PJ7HeC9mHb9T9hKTAsTvMDPtHicyLCiIDiLqQ5rJoqrI-Pevh2p0ntdJw5FmCffcKdK0P7Op9XiR7kuT468AnhKFBMDFfLM969ORd6ZsXpk6BjcJefSuftPiOLHUj0w0A5Vyki6f_K8QZBjLEnbnODtMM4TQfq4yvbiDv3FofNOF8DWodoAUXwsaYVw39hezC7pjf5rtyGB918TLbxMU6O0R3tM5JbGwmUHOGhYL2keUgQ7ZP5KU0ieymWe4bAs3-Vcyd03opOmYC3DorEytnZMLsBNMEocFOOM7EBAVe007I6nFQTilOOJOqzVByBQGy1Rtwntxg--4KdVseMpSrj9JA=w989-h742-no

• Informative
Reactions: StephenM and spleen
Hi everyone. I know this is an old thread, but had the same question, and was wondering what’s changed in the last 2 years?

Can anyone provide more info on the Tesla parking stalls at the IMP? How many stalls? Are they nice and wide? Can we use them, or are they for the Tesla store’s test drive fleet only? If we can use them, are they usually occupied? Is there any way to see availability before going (for example, will the map in the car show whether there are any open stalls)?

And finally: any updates on the planned supercharger?

Mahalo!

Hi everyone. I know this is an old thread, but had the same question, and was wondering what’s changed in the last 2 years?

Can anyone provide more info on the Tesla parking stalls at the IMP? How many stalls? Are they nice and wide? Can we use them, or are they for the Tesla store’s test drive fleet only? If we can use them, are they usually occupied? Is there any way to see availability before going (for example, will the map in the car show whether there are any open stalls)?

And finally: any updates on the planned supercharger?

Mahalo!

The 8 Tesla stalls at IMP are available for customer use, however I noticed the last time I was there last week, their test drive "fleet" had expanded to fill every stall (except for the one I was parked in). Prior to this, I think they only had 2-3 cars "based" at IMP so there was usually 5-6 stalls available. The stalls are fairly wide, except for one that's closest to the wall. I've confirmed (in the past) with the store staff that they allow customers to park there and charge for free, if there's a stall available.

If the Tesla stalls are full, there's also free Chargepoint stalls up on 5 & 6 (easiest if you have a Chargepoint card available). I think there's 4 stalls on 5 and 4 stalls on 6.

Overall, IMP is my favorite place to park in Waikiki (regardless of Tesla or not), if I can find an excuse to get validated.

The 8 Tesla stalls at IMP are available for customer use, however I noticed the last time I was there last week, their test drive "fleet" had expanded to fill every stall (except for the one I was parked in). Prior to this, I think they only had 2-3 cars "based" at IMP so there was usually 5-6 stalls available. The stalls are fairly wide, except for one that's closest to the wall. I've confirmed (in the past) with the store staff that they allow customers to park there and charge for free, if there's a stall available.

If the Tesla stalls are full, there's also free Chargepoint stalls up on 5 & 6 (easiest if you have a Chargepoint card available). I think there's 4 stalls on 5 and 4 stalls on 6.

Overall, IMP is my favorite place to park in Waikiki (regardless of Tesla or not), if I can find an excuse to get validated.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Too bad Tesla couldn’t secure a few more stalls. And yes, it’s amazing how we always find something to spend 10 bucks on, to “save” on parking! :D

Reactions: cantbechanged