Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my PDF:
Yours is the exact same as mine then.

Exactly like my estimate, the correction states "remove and replace" so I'm thinking they're going to order a new passenger seat, remove your current one, and then install the new one to hopefully fix the issue. The 1st part indicates the passenger seat and the 2nd item probably indicates 4 bolts to screw seat in place.

My appointment has been pushed multiple times so just a heads up that could happen to you if getting parts is delayed.

Yours is the exact same as mine then.

Exactly like my estimate, the correction states "remove and replace" so I'm thinking they're going to order a new passenger seat, remove your current one, and then install the new one to hopefully fix the issue. The 1st part indicates the passenger seat and the 2nd item probably indicates 4 bolts to screw seat in place.

My appointment has been pushed multiple times so just a heads up that could happen to you if getting parts is delayed.
Seems like they would do a little troubleshooting before just replacing the seat, but maybe the sensor is part of the seat and it's just easier and less time consuming to replace the entire seat.

Where you notified the appointment pushed back before your scheduled time? It's a 73 mile one-way trip for me and if it gets rescheduled then it gets rescheduled, but I'd like to know before I make the drive to the service center.

Seems like they would do a little troubleshooting before just replacing the seat, but maybe the sensor is part of the seat and it's just easier and less time consuming to replace the entire seat.
I've watched several videos and done some researching about the issue. There are various ways to potentially solve it with replacing the seat to be the last resort and an invasive process. And yeah, there is 1 sensor right under where you sit so they could take it apart and replace it but replacing the entire seat is probably the easier way and is less prone to causing additional issues.

1 possible reason for the issue is that the wires/chords under the seat are getting interference so they can install something onto the wire that takes 10-15 mins. Another possible solution is what the other person posted. Etc.

Where you notified the appointment pushed back before your scheduled time? It's a 73 mile one-way trip for me and if it gets rescheduled then it gets rescheduled, but I'd like to know before I make the drive to the service center.
Yeah but in Tesla fashion so it could be a day or 2 before your appointment. My appointment has gotten pushed back twice already.

I received a notification this morning reminding me of my upcoming appointment for 4\13. Less than an hour later I received another notification that my appointment was rescheduled for 4\20 due to a lack of parts. And the 4\20 appointment is two hours earlier so I get to play in rush hour traffic.

Reactions: rr_92
I received a notification this morning reminding me of my upcoming appointment for 4\13. Less than an hour later I received another notification that my appointment was rescheduled for 4\20 due to a lack of parts. And the 4\20 appointment is two hours earlier so I get to play in rush hour traffic.
You can always reschedule it in the app to a better time or later day that suits you. If you put in the Service ticket very recently, then I would probably expect your new appointment might get rescheduled as well when next week comes.

I'll let you know what happens with my appointment. Fingers crossed that they don't push it yet again. 🤞

Reactions: hohjoe
You can always reschedule it in the app to a better time or later day that suits you. If you put in the Service ticket very recently, then I would probably expect your new appointment might get rescheduled as well when next week comes.

I'll let you know what happens with my appointment. Fingers crossed that they don't push it yet again. 🤞
I knew I could change the appointment time, but I thought if I did I would be immediately rescheduled. I would like to get this resolved.

Sorry to send you in the wrong path. I experienced the exact same thing. I ended up scheduling another service appointment and this time they charged me $160. Guy came and replaced the seat harness. The wires are too short and get stretched out. I think this is the only way. I will return the ferrites back to amazon. Is your fault also RCM_a021?

View attachment 914974View attachment 914976

Hello,
I am in a similar situation. I have a 2019 LR AWD model 3 and Tesla service center is asking for $325 to replace the wiring harness. However, I see that you paid $162 for the wiring harness replacement. That’s half of what I was quoted. May I ask what year and model is your car?
Thanks

Attachments

• F5C73A9D-FDF6-4891-9A15-E0C970D13759.png
    F5C73A9D-FDF6-4891-9A15-E0C970D13759.png
    361.1 KB · Views: 151
@hohjoe @championwaqas

Dropped my car off at Tesla service yesterday. Even though my Cost Estimate PDF had what they were going to do, they actually went to diagnose the problem so they could find out why it was happening. It took around 4 hours for them to fix (they gave us a loaner MY cause they thought it'd take 1-2 days).

Here are the technician repair notes for the Seats:
Screenshot_20230414-142354~2.png

Drove it a few times yesterday and haven't gotten the error again. Will continue monitoring this week but hopefully this is all fixed now! 🎉

@hohjoe @championwaqas

Dropped my car off at Tesla service yesterday. Even though my Cost Estimate PDF had what they were going to do, they actually went to diagnose the problem so they could find out why it was happening. It took around 4 hours for them to fix (they gave us a loaner MY cause they thought it'd take 1-2 days).

Here are the technician repair notes for the Seats:
View attachment 928627

Drove it a few times yesterday and haven't gotten the error again. Will continue monitoring this week but hopefully this is all fixed now! 🎉
Thanks for the info. Looks like you got a technician who was willing to take time and fix the bent pin instead of replacing the entire seat. In most cases they just replace the entire wire harness or the entire seat without attempting to diagnose and fix faulty connection.

Thanks for the info. Looks like you got a technician who was willing to take time and fix the bent pin instead of replacing the entire seat. In most cases they just replace the entire wire harness or the entire seat without attempting to diagnose and fix faulty connection.
Yeah I was fortunately very lucky.

My Cost Estimate PDF implied they were going to replace the entire seat and based on my conversations with Tesla service in the app's chat, they were waiting on the parts to be delivered.

When I showed up to Tesla service for my appointment, they didn't really have an idea about the Cost Estimate PDF I showed them. The Service person said those things are sometimes automated and asked me what issue I was experiencing so I showed him the the pic I had of the error. They were very nice and said they'd take my car to take a look at things such as the firmware, seat, etc.

I'm glad they were able to take the time to find and fix the issue (hopefully error doesn't pop up again)! 🙏

Yeah I was fortunately very lucky.

My Cost Estimate PDF implied they were going to replace the entire seat and based on my conversations with Tesla service in the app's chat, they were waiting on the parts to be delivered.

When I showed up to Tesla service for my appointment, they didn't really have an idea about the Cost Estimate PDF I showed them. The Service person said those things are sometimes automated and asked me what issue I was experiencing so I showed him the the pic I had of the error. They were very nice and said they'd take my car to take a look at things such as the firmware, seat, etc.

I'm glad they were able to take the time to find and fix the issue (hopefully error doesn't pop up again)! 🙏
That's great the tech took the time to isolate the issue and resolved it.

Did your error condition come up after you had the car awhile?

I get the error as soon as I step on the brake and it started happening after I had 1200 miles or so on the car.

That's great the tech took the time to isolate the issue and resolved it.

Did your error condition come up after you had the car awhile?

I get the error as soon as I step on the brake and it started happening after I had 1200 miles or so on the car.
Yes, the error either showed up right when I pressed the brake pedal to put in Drive or while I was driving on the road. For some odd reason, the error actually started happening right after I installed a new Tesla update in late Feb (it showed the error message right after the car was done installing the new update). Afterwards, I always started seeing the error when I drove the car.

After Tesla service fixed the issue yesterday, I haven't seen the error message in the multiple drives I took both yesterday and today.

For some odd reason, the error actually started happening right after I installed a new Tesla update in late Feb (it showed the error message right after the car was done installing the new update). Afterwards, I always started seeing the error when I drove the car.
Interesting. I did start seeing the error after the latest update I received a couple of weeks ago.

Hello,
I am in a similar situation. I have a 2019 LR AWD model 3 and Tesla service center is asking for $325 to replace the wiring harness. However, I see that you paid $162 for the wiring harness replacement. That’s half of what I was quoted. May I ask what year and model is your car?
Thanks
I told them it only happens when the car seat position goes in easy mode. That is when the cable is fully stretched out. That gave them the clue that it is a simple harness replacement. I also put the error code in the service details. Keep canceling and making appointments until you get the $160 deal if it’s the same error code as mine.

I told them it only happens when the car seat position goes in easy mode. That is when the cable is fully stretched out. That gave them the clue that it is a simple harness replacement. I also put the error code in the service details. Keep canceling and making appointments until you get the $160 deal if it’s the same error code as mine.
It’s exactly the same issue and I actually know which connector is causing it. It’s the connector that attaches to the seat belt pretensioner. When I wiggle the wires to that connector, error disappears. I already spoke with Tesla and they are not willing to fix the connector. They are saying entire wire harness is going to be replaced and they price is fixed. Parts prices change and they don’t price match. I see they charged you $50 for the same part that they are charging me $175 for.
I am going to try to use electrical tape to try and secure the wires before going through with the wire harness replacement.

Appointment moved again from tomorrow to 5\3. Nothing like having a car with a safety issue that can't be scheduled for repair.
That's what I figured. They are most likely pushing your appointment back because the parts haven't arrived. However, you want Tesla Service to try diagnosing the problem rather than just replacing the entire seat which is very invasive compared to the alternatives.

Don't message Tesla service on whether they received parts or not and hope they keep your next appointment. When you get there, you can explain the issue and if they don't have the parts yet, they'll probably try diagnosing the issue rather than doing what's on your Cost Estimate PDF.

That's what I figured. They are most likely pushing your appointment back because the parts haven't arrived. However, you want Tesla Service to try diagnosing the problem rather than just replacing the entire seat which is very invasive compared to the alternatives.

Don't message Tesla service on whether they received parts or not and hope they keep your next appointment. When you get there, you can explain the issue and if they don't have the parts yet, they'll probably try diagnosing the issue rather than doing what's on your Cost Estimate PDF.
I haven't messaged Tesla and asked about the parts availability. Tesla messaged me. The first cancellation mentioned parts were not available. The message I received today didn't give me a reason, I was just told the appointment was rescheduled.

I haven't messaged Tesla and asked about the parts availability. Tesla messaged me. The first cancellation mentioned parts were not available. The message I received today didn't give me a reason, I was just told the appointment was rescheduled.
I think the way their process is to order complete seat just in case they need to replace it. If they can fix the issue without seat replacement, they won’t replace the seat. I believe they want to ensure that the car doesn’t keep sitting in the service center if seat replacement is required and they don’t have it in stock. That wrong even diagnose the issue without getting the seat in stock.