Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score after initial 7 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHAT A %#$#@^& JOKE. I went for a 8 mile run yesterday. I was SO careful on following, acceleration and braking. Did not even use brakes except when I stopped at store and entered/left my garage. Wife was surprised I drove SO safe with many cars clearance etc. She even felt my head for a fever.

Well got home checked my safety score and it went from 99 to 98. Days details showed hard braking. I one pedal drove the entire way. So if Tesla doesn't want you to get FSD Beta you can't win. Pretty much not enjoying my MSP anymore. Good Grief !!!!!!!!!!! A total waste of $7K FSD option.

M
Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 09.52.26.jpeg

Last edited:
I just completed a leisurely 20 mile drive, most on NOA, and found a slight hit on Hard Braking. I would like to know when and where as there was no hard braking anywhere on that trip. Something is wrong but there is nothing I can do about it. My total score remains at 99 but these phantom hits against the overall score will eventually add up. Very frustrating! Makes one not even want to take the car out of the garage.

Reactions: BriansBucketList
I just completed a leisurely 20 mile drive, most on NOA, and found a slight hit on Hard Braking. I would like to know when and where as there was no hard braking anywhere on that trip. Something is wrong but there is nothing I can do about it. My total score remains at 99 but these phantom hits against the overall score will eventually add up. Very frustrating! Makes one not even want to take the car out of the garage.
The regenerative braking can flag an unsafe hard brake. I rarely use the brake pedal. After getting dinged for hard braking, I tested my theory on the same route repeated. I never touched the brake. Braking was mild. I got a Hard Braking hit without touching the brake.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’d like to contribute it to regen but in this case there was no hard regen. That is what is so mysterious about this. I now have a return 20 mile trip following the same roads and will be holding my breath the whole way until I can get it into the garage. I am all for safe driving but if I am going to be judged on my ability to do so I just wish I would be judged by someone/something other than an East German judge.

Elon says the Safety Score is Beta too, like everything Tesla. He says it will be improved over time and that it is dinging for things it shouldn't. They need to show regulators they have tried to limit the FSD Beta to their safer drivers. This is what we got. We all got it with all its faults. We need to play the game, if we want to. It is what it is.

It is just measuring G forces on deceleration. If you are going 60 MPH and let off the accelerator quickly, I guarantee you will get a safety score ding for hard braking.

Which is complete BS. One of the roads I travel on a daily basis is a parkway/highway with traffic lights. Not uncommon to be doing a stretch at j65 MPH and have to stop for a yellow/red light - and don't get me started on flashing yellows and phantom braking.

Driving on autopilot almost always results in what they would consider a hard braking situation as the car slows for upcoming traffic signals (often times too late) but hey it's their playground, we just play in it :)

I'm still holding a reasonably respectable score though.

>>Very frustrating! Makes one not even want to take the car out of the garage.<<

....... thereby proving how much safer we are with FSD Beta!
You have to hand it to 'em - it's CYA in spades!

At last nights Oktoberfeast was talking about cars and such when the this insult erupted. A lady who drives a BMW said (not the exact quote because it was so long) " HA HA, I just noticed that those Model S's are obviously for old folks, they stop way short of other vehicles, take forever just to turn off the road, brake way early and accelerate like grandma's!" So what's the chance that the Beta has something to do with this??? I do live in Florida where many retires live but then I thought about my change in driving behavior in the last 3 weeks and wonder...

IMHO - I do not like this crappy "Safety Score". I feel that folks who paid dearly for FSD should get the beta. I plan on taking the BMW lady for a MSP ride someday!!

M

At last nights Oktoberfeast was talking about cars and such when the this insult erupted. A lady who drives a BMW said (not the exact quote because it was so long) " HA HA, I just noticed that those Model S's are obviously for old folks, they stop way short of other vehicles, take forever just to turn off the road, brake way early and accelerate like grandma's!" So what's the chance that the Beta has something to do with this??? I do live in Florida where many retires live but then I thought about my change in driving behavior in the last 3 weeks and wonder...

IMHO - I do not like this crappy "Safety Score". I feel that folks who paid dearly for FSD should get the beta. I plan on taking the BMW lady for a MSP ride someday!!

M
Agree 100%. Those of us who forked over the cash to fund their FSD experiment paid for access to software, so let us have it.

Given that Tesla is using "safety score" for car insurance policies, I wonder if they're double-dipping on the purpose of making us all suffer the scoring game to get invite to FSD-beta party, as they further hone and beta test the safety score algorithm itself based on our use -- Tesla taking us for another ride....

Reactions: kizamybute'
Agree 100%. Those of us who forked over the cash to fund their FSD experiment paid for access to software, so let us have it.

Given that Tesla is using "safety score" for car insurance policies, I wonder if they're double-dipping on the purpose of making us all suffer the scoring game to get invite to FSD-beta party, as they further hone and beta test the safety score algorithm itself based on our use -- Tesla taking us for another ride....
I agree that there are other motives behind the scoring, like identifying geographic area where driving is "less safe" even if it's not the owner's fault, as well as ability to overcome an unfair, imperfect scoring system. Both provide additional driver info. Life is a series of systems, and you learn how they work. Im still learning

Reactions: T-Racer
I travel two main busy streets here in W. Palm Beach. I keep 5-7 cars behind the car in front of me.....BUT it never fails some idiot cuts me off and my Plaid slams on the breaks which then slams my score. Also, I cannot use the auto lane on these streets. There are emergency blinking yellow lights. Even with both hands on the wheel, the dash lights up saying put both hands on the wheel........again the score drops. I'll never get FSD I guess till I do a long long highway trip.