Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With you. Who else is down lol. I’m not gonna pretend I have anything better to do.
If I wanted to be disappointed I would stay up with you guys but knowing how this goes with Tesla and radio silence from EM on Twitter, not very confident about the roll out tonight. Seems like a big 36.5.1 roll out today though.

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3 and dillon
If I wanted to be disappointed I would stay up with you guys but knowing how this goes with Tesla and radio silence from EM on Twitter, not very confident about the roll out tonight. Seems like a big 36.5.1 roll out today though.

Is 36.5.1 only going out to be we haven’t signed up for the beta, or don’t have FSD?

There’s a lot of people on 2021.21.22 that aren’t getting any updates at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
While we are waiting I have a question for folks.

If I hit sudden traffic and I'm cruising at 65-70 mph I usually hit the brakes until I get close and then turn AP back on (before Safety Score paranoia)
If I don't hit the brakes it comes in uncomfortably hot.

But if I modestly brake hard or come in a little to close I get dinged for hard braking and following to close.
So what I have been doing is quickly nudging the set speed WAY down so that it doesn't come in hot and stays on good terms with "Safety Score" by staying on AP.

It's a PITA to do in stop and go traffic. The alternative is total manual driving which will surely ding me for hard braking and following to close. Or trust that AP will stop. But I've read some cases it won't stop if coming in hot and it does not see immanant bodily injury.

What have folks been doing?

I'm at 99 with around 1000 miles.

If I hit sudden traffic and I'm cruising at 65-70 mph I usually hit the brakes until I get close and then turn AP back on (before Safety Score paranoia)

But if I modestly brake hard or come in a little to close I get dinged for hard braking and following to close.
So what I have been doing is quickly nudging the set speed WAY down so that it doesn't come in hot and stays on good terms with "Safety Score" by staying on AP.

It's a PITA to do in stop and go traffic. The alternative is total manual driving which will surely ding me for hard braking and following to close. Or trust that AP will stop. But I've read some cases it won't stop if coming in hot and it does not see immanant bodily injury.

Same. Playing spin the wheel. Or hold the accelerator and pop off AP for a controlled slow if I see it early enough. But it’s risky. I’ve gotten good at big accelerations and decelerations with the wheel. But I don’t think it’s very safe so I’ve only been doing it with low traffic, late night. Plan to do the same with the beta at least in the first few days to really understand its behavior.

Before the safety score, I was not very good at the scroll wheel thing. I mainly used AP for the slow moving traffic in freeways downtown. When it finally moves AP will take the sharp bends with full speed and i get scared and disengage by turning the steering. But now with the safety score i cannot disengage so I learned to start using the wheel more efficiently.

How am I doing it ? There is a time lag when you use the wheel. So for curves on the freeway I am watching the map and get ready early to compensate for the time lag. For traffic I am looking far ahead and hit the scroll wheel early enough so that when the AP finally brakes its much gentler. I have the following distance set to 3 car lengths. One car length is too scary.

The safety score made me an expert on AP. May be that was their intention ? training us the monkeys using a stimulus (the beta). I did two trips on AP this week 200 miles each way with no disengagements.

I am not going to be so confident on the streets with unprotected lefts and less margin of error etc . We will see... Fingers crossed !

Before the safety score, I was not very good at the scroll wheel thing. I mainly used AP for the slow moving traffic in freeways downtown. When it finally moves AP will take the sharp bends with full speed and i get scared and disengage by turning the steering. But now with the safety score i cannot disengage so I learned to start using the wheel more efficiently.

How am I doing it ? There is a time lag when you use the wheel. So for curves on the freeway I am watching the map and get ready early to compensate for the time lag. For traffic I am looking far ahead and hit the scroll wheel early enough so that when the AP finally brakes its much gentler. I have the following distance set to 3 car lengths. One car length is too scary.

The safety score made me an expert on AP. May be that was their intention ? training us the monkeys using a stimulus (the beta). I did two trips on AP this week 200 miles each way with no disengagements.

I am not going to be so confident on the streets with unprotected lefts and less margin of error etc . We will see... Fingers crossed !
💯

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I know this doesn't have to be said but for the 99s please report on here once, actually if you get the beta, I wouldn't be staying up to find out else it's pushed out earlier than midnight PT.
Part of me holding out hope that since each time it’s released it seems to be more efficient / automatic - stay up late!!

The other is thinking - ok there might be more complexity now. And deciding what to push when. Go to sleep and hope you don’t wake up until the email comes out 😂

Blasted Tesla. Almost as bad as waiting for the car to arrive after ordering. Like flippin Disney world for full grown geeks.

Oddly enough I feel the AP wears out my brakes because it’ll come in hot and then jam them up. That type of stunt would definitely cost me some hard braking dings but AP gets away with it, also wears out my brakes, because when I stop I 99% of the time regen to a complete stop.
I know this doesn't have to be said but for the 99s please report on here once, actually if you get the beta, I wouldn't be staying up to find out else it's pushed out earlier than midnight PT.
I’ll report in at 7am eastern, 6am central, 5am mountain, or 4am pacific on whether I got it or not.

I would be curious how many folks have a perfect or high score who use their vehicles in a commute vs people who can use their Tesla only when they elect to.

I don't commute with mine (so was bitten by the 100 mile minimum the first time), but have the luxury of deciding when and where I drive it. So yesterday I did a full 100 mile drive with a 100/100 score on that drive. If I had a daily commute or otherwise had places I must drive with that car, I don't think I could easily just decide to put in the effort to get whatever score I wanted. The reality of a commute would force a far lower score.
Over 1300 miles driven. Model Y. Various roads highways and expressway . Safety Score 99. Beta way to accomplish good score is to drive on AP as much as it will allow.

Reactions: d0nkn0tts
Road trips are hard, over 700 miles today at a score of 97. One forward collision warning while I was on AP (not sure why it counted against me) and some aggressive turning and hard braking that I am too exhausted to fix. Probably 650 of those miles was on autopilot/FSD.

Road trips are hard, over 700 miles today at a score of 97. One forward collision warning while I was on AP (not sure why it counted against me) and some aggressive turning and hard braking that I am too exhausted to fix. Probably 650 of those miles was on autopilot/FSD.
The FCW was probably because you did the right thing and hit the brakes, which of course switched the FCW to you. Go figure.

Reactions: iBetMy10k