Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is his last tweet on the topic. I guess tomorrow 99/100 should get it.

Attachments

• B06E2E8D-6C93-4D83-A36B-8A1A6DCFFB16.jpeg
    B06E2E8D-6C93-4D83-A36B-8A1A6DCFFB16.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 62
In general yes. I agree. I spent a month trying to get 99/100.

However, I live in Metro LA and just opted out Wed and opted back in. Did my driving at middle of night and had 99. Just got to 100.

But yeah if you have to leave the house, or don't have another car it's hard.

Honestly with a month of driving regular metro LA I was at 92. Most days were 99/100 but there are those idiot says where you're forced to hard brake, loose desired follow distance, or hard turning to avoid something.

Two finger reset during drives you know, or suspect were dinged works. I did it today for a 2 mile drive someone pulled out in front of me and I have to hard break. Reset computer and kept my 100 for the day.
I'm on score "furlough" right now, but I feel the pain. Today, took a short trip, roads oily and wet, and people are doing 55 in a 35 zone, tailgating, and because they are angry at you going the limit in the slow lane, they make sure to almost cut you off to send you the "message." I've done the reset, but have to enroll to see how it affects things.
I have a very "chancy" drive Monday, and could re-enroll Tuesday, but I have a good idea when a reset is needed. Can you outline exactly how you do the reset that you are sure works? Are you resetting with the foot on the brake, and getting out of the car, or just doing a standard soft MCU reset while parked. If I don't hear back, I'm thinking I'll re-enroll and see what works this weekend. I may have to eliminate half my trip Monday. I don't want to find out I can't re-enroll for some reason, but I think its fine to do considering the score accuracy

I'm on score "furlough" right now, but I feel the pain. Today, took a short trip, roads oily and wet, and people are doing 55 in a 35 zone, tailgating, and because they are angry at you going the limit in the slow lane, they make sure to almost cut you off to send you the "message." I've done the reset, but have to enroll to see how it affects things.
I have a very "chancy" drive Monday, and could re-enroll Tuesday, but I have a good idea when a reset is needed. Can you outline exactly how you do the reset that you are sure works? Are you resetting with the foot on the brake, and getting out of the car, or just doing a standard soft MCU reset while parked. If I don't hear back, I'm thinking I'll re-enroll and see what works this weekend. I may have to eliminate half my trip Monday. I don't want to find out I can't re-enroll for some reason, but I think its fine to do considering the score accuracy

Press and hold down both scroll wheels until screen goes blank. I do it while driving. Usable just before I park so that I’m sure it clears and doesn’t save before ending the trip.

Last evening, My tesla sitting in the garage with a 99 score looked like a more thrilling ride than my motorcycle. So I took it out for a spin around town. I came back with no major issues. It was so nerve wracking but definitely strangely more thrilling than my motorcycle ! If Elon doesn't keep his promise tonight, I might be tempted to do that again. Now come on Elon don't make me do it
You can go whip it around and put it sideways in the parking lots, just do a reset before you hit park 😅

This is his last tweet on the topic. I guess tomorrow 99/100 should get it.
Shouldn’t that have been today… Friday? Lol
I'm still half expecting a 10.3 delay at the last second
I don’t see any new softwares on any lists so sounds like no one has 10.3 yet, including the 100s
thx, I can split my trip into segments if its just a soft reset... what a stress reliever
Just remember that after reset, your trip doesn’t save either. So if you reset while driving and get to destination after another 20 miles you’ll lose those 20 miles as well as the front part of the trip before reset.

• Informative
Reactions: BriansBucketList
Shouldn’t that have been today… Friday? Lol

I don’t see any new softwares on any lists so sounds like no one has 10.3 yet, including the 100s

Just remember that after reset, your trip doesn’t save either. So if you reset while driving and get to destination after another 20 miles you’ll lose those 20 miles as well as the front part of the trip before reset.
I believe the last few releases when he said Friday, it was actually Saturday morning.

How about a warning before it reaches the Tesla limit so you can dial it back and hopefully avoid the hit to the score. Or maybe a user selection to select default (Tesla) limit or user selection?

I’d also prefer an audible alert instead of just a flash on the phone. Easier to not miss. It could even say brake, steering, collision, etc (or something) instead of just a chime.

Just my two cents.

Anyways great work !!!
Thanks, I'll try to include some of your suggestions!

Reactions: jeremymc7
I would bet that Elon and his " 'Net Monitors" get a kick out of reading all this crap! They are probably laughing their a$$es off... 😂 Do you think they pull out the popcorn?

When this forum was just filled with a bunch of S and then X owners, it was a VERY different vibe. Lots and LOTS of calculations and equations. Data ruled the earth! 🤓 It's definitely more interesting entertaining now..... 👍

Last edited:
I would bet that Elon and his " 'Net Monitors" get a kick out of reading all this crap! They are probably laughing their a$$es off... 😂 Do you think they pull out the popcorn?

When this forum was just filled with a bunch of S and then X owners, it was a VERY different vibe. Lots and LOTS of calculations and equations. Data ruled the earth! 🤓 It's definitely more interesting now..... 👍

Yet I’ll still be up till 2-4 AM anyways to see if I get it. Of course I’m usually up till then anyway. But I’ll be likely going out for a quick early morning drive to play with it if it comes through.

Last evening, My tesla sitting in the garage with a 99 score looked like a more thrilling ride than my motorcycle. So I took it out for a spin around town. I came back with no major issues. It was so nerve wracking but definitely strangely more thrilling than my motorcycle ! If Elon doesn't keep his promise tonight, I might be tempted to do that again. Now come on Elon don't make me do it
LOL this. White knuckle, heavy breathing, “no fcw no fcw no fcw no fcw” tense muscles.

Any mothers on here that can verify giving birth to fsd beta is more painful than giving birth to a child?

I'm about ready to cancel my part in the queue. There are so many factors in the safety score that are either irrelevant to safe driving or that ding you specifically for driving safely. I'm sure most of these are mentioned somewhere in this thread, but the ones that I really find problematic are:

- You can drive through stop signs and red lights and the score could care less as long as you do it slowly
- Hard braking is based on g forces and I live at the top of a big hill. Every intersection on and off this hill has a stop sign at the intersection where the hill steepens in order to provide a flat area for the intersection itself. All of that means I am fighting gravity every day to avoid excessive braking.
- Even if I didn't live on a hill, I will coast up to interesections which are not ready for me to cross on low regen (I was surprised to see that standard regen qualifies as hard braking which is just ridiculous). That coasting is likely less than the lower threshold of what they consider "braking" so as a result, I am not getting scored positively for those mild braking sections. Only at the end of the coast do I use the brakes which means any time I have to brake even a little bit harder than normal appears to them as if it is a major component of my habits.
- Unsafe following rewards you for following with less than a 3 second gap which is the minimum recommended for safe driving. So, you have to follow closer than you probably should for long periods of time to negate the few times when someone cuts you off and you need to extend the following distance without hard braking. In those circumstances, a hard braking incident would actually be *increasing* your safety, but would get counted against you. Because of this very low threshold of what they consider "following" in the first place, most safe drivers probalby have very few miles of "safe following" to counteract any "unsafe following" they encounter.
- I get dinged for FCW a few times though the alarm (which is set to Medium per their desciption) has only gone off in 1 out of 10 of the incidents I was tagged with. Clearly the right and left hand there are not speaking to each other and I am losing score as a result.

"Safe following" distance should be increased to 5 seconds at least - if there is a car within range of sensors it should be considered a "following" situation
"Hard braking" needs to factor in actual decrease of speed, not just G forces, to counteract hills
"Hard braking" needs to be higher than any regen mode causes on flat ground
"Safe braking" should be lowered to 1MPH per second, or even 0. Some threshold just above "maintaining speed" and below "coasting"

All in all, I'm safer when I'm not trying to evade their scoring, both because I can execute maneuvers that increase my safety without worrying that they'll be classified as "unsafe" and also because I am not distracted by their rules in the first place. And I'm clearly not going to get close to 100 living in the SF Bay Area at the top of a hill, so I'm just about ready to give up on being a beta tester at all.

I'm about ready to cancel my part in the queue. There are so many factors in the safety score that are either irrelevant to safe driving or that ding you specifically for driving safely. I'm sure most of these are mentioned somewhere in this thread, but the ones that I really find problematic are:

- You can drive through stop signs and red lights and the score could care less as long as you do it slowly
- Hard braking is based on g forces and I live at the top of a big hill. Every intersection on and off this hill has a stop sign at the intersection where the hill steepens in order to provide a flat area for the intersection itself. All of that means I am fighting gravity every day to avoid excessive braking.
- Even if I didn't live on a hill, I will coast up to interesections which are not ready for me to cross on low regen (I was surprised to see that standard regen qualifies as hard braking which is just ridiculous). That coasting is likely less than the lower threshold of what they consider "braking" so as a result, I am not getting scored positively for those mild braking sections. Only at the end of the coast do I use the brakes which means any time I have to brake even a little bit harder than normal appears to them as if it is a major component of my habits.
- Unsafe following rewards you for following with less than a 3 second gap which is the minimum recommended for safe driving. So, you have to follow closer than you probably should for long periods of time to negate the few times when someone cuts you off and you need to extend the following distance without hard braking. In those circumstances, a hard braking incident would actually be *increasing* your safety, but would get counted against you. Because of this very low threshold of what they consider "following" in the first place, most safe drivers probalby have very few miles of "safe following" to counteract any "unsafe following" they encounter.
- I get dinged for FCW a few times though the alarm (which is set to Medium per their desciption) has only gone off in 1 out of 10 of the incidents I was tagged with. Clearly the right and left hand there are not speaking to each other and I am losing score as a result.

"Safe following" distance should be increased to 5 seconds at least - if there is a car within range of sensors it should be considered a "following" situation
"Hard braking" needs to factor in actual decrease of speed, not just G forces, to counteract hills
"Hard braking" needs to be higher than any regen mode causes on flat ground
"Safe braking" should be lowered to 1MPH per second, or even 0. Some threshold just above "maintaining speed" and below "coasting"

All in all, I'm safer when I'm not trying to evade their scoring, both because I can execute maneuvers that increase my safety without worrying that they'll be classified as "unsafe" and also because I am not distracted by their rules in the first place. And I'm clearly not going to get close to 100 living in the SF Bay Area at the top of a hill, so I'm just about ready to give up on being a beta tester at all.
Quit. And the rejoin. Get to 100 miles under the crazy conditions now that you know the rules. Then just the two finger reset for every drive until you get the beta.

I feel your pain.

Reactions: Ramphex
I do believe you CAN still have fun with your Tesla. When I did a reset to clear out a bogus FCW (I did it while in motion), the remainder of that trip was NOT recorded. It's like the software to record your driving is enabled or triggered when you go from Park to Drive, so if you reset while in gear it wont record again until you go to Park and Drive again.

So do a reset, have fun without worries, then park it.

I do believe you CAN still have fun with your Tesla. When I did a reset to clear out a bogus FCW (I did it while in motion), the remainder of that trip was NOT recorded. It's like the software to record your driving is enabled or triggered when you go from Park to Drive, so if you reset while in gear it wont record again until you go to Park and Drive again.

So do a reset, have fun without worries, then park it.
Agree. I think all they need to know is “can you operate under these ridiculous parameters for 100 miles?” Doesn’t matter if it’s consecutive or permanent.

Reactions: iBetMy10k