Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While a Safety Score doesn't really identify safe drivers, it does indentify drivers who can adapt their driving enough to get a near perfect score within an imperfect saftey score system. Similarly, drivers will be expected to adapt their driving habits for a very imperfect FSD beta, although perhaps in a different ways. In either ,whether Safey Score or FSD beta, drivers have to be consistantly on guard and careful in order to do well. At least, that's my take.

Did I miss something from Elon changing the mileage requirement?
People are just speculating about mileage driven as a selection factor. I could argue that either very high or very low mileage would lead to include a driver. A high mileage driver with a high score leads me to believe that the risk to Tesla is acceptable because the sample size is large. On the other hand a low mileage driver with a high score could also be acceptable because even though the sample size is low, the driver does not drive enough to expose the car to a lot of unsafe circumstances.

While a Safety Score doesn't really identify safe drivers, it does indentify drivers who can adapt their driving enough to get a near perfect score within an imperfect saftey score system. Similarly, drivers will be expected to adapt their driving habits for a very imperfect FSD beta, although perhaps in a different ways. In either ,whether Safey Score or FSD beta, drivers have to be consistantly on guard and careful in order to do well. At least, that's my take.
Basically - more than anything else to me - it shows commitment. Which is definitely useful and needed if it can be sustained during testing.

Mileage matters for the score - because the total score is weighted average of daily scores, weghted by mileage.

Apart from that everything else is speculation / wishful thinking.
Thanks EVNow.
Just to play devil's advocate, if I only drove 5 miles a day (for the current planned 14 days) & got a 100% Safety Score on each day, I'd be in the top group at 100% even though I only drove 70 miles total?

Anyone have a spreadsheet they can share with the weighting formulas already in it? Just got daily mile/score and total score. Got 2 mystery forward collision warnings and am crawling back up. Now at 97. I’d like to know how far I need to drive the next few days to get back to 99 if not 100. Past 4 days have been 100s.
Here is mine for your review. It's gone through many revisions and has been helping me for several days.
  • This is set to read only so you'll need to copy the range of the active items and paste it in your own sheet
  • There are hidden columns with some of the working details so be careful what you change or move

Last edited:
People are just speculating about mileage driven as a selection factor. I could argue that either very high or very low mileage would lead to include a driver. A high mileage driver with a high score leads me to believe that the risk to Tesla is acceptable because the sample size is large. On the other hand a low mileage driver with a high score could also be acceptable because even though the sample size is low, the driver does not drive enough to expose the car to a lot of unsafe circumstances.
I have been pondering the idea that total mileage should be a factor, as a 99 over 1000 miles should be worth more than a 100 over 21 miles.
And you make a good point.
However mileage can be kept artificially for someone with another vehicle... drive the Tesla once a day around the block and use the other vehicle to keep the score up.
Maybe they can look at that as well, a high mileage car that suddenly drives 1 mile a day.

Only Elon and the FSD team knows. Everything else is speculation, but I do hope that mileage is considered.
I am curerently sitting on a 99 with 750 miles logged.

Reactions: KArnold
Except for rare l vacations, I generally travel fewer than 10 miles a day. My July 2018 M3 just hit 16,000 miles. Most of those miles are busy suburban residential driving. So far, my Safety Score is 100 with about 15 miles per day. If mileage is taken into consideration, I hope they look at my car's total milage and see that I am not gaming the system by limiting my daily driving only now. In fact, I am driving a bit more. Even so, any Safety Score ding would be catastrophic with so little daily milage. So I have to keep a score 100 if there is any chance of being selected for FSD beta.

Unlike the present Beta testers who challenge FSD in difficult situations I hardly ever see, I actually may be more of a help by showing what FSD can do during uncomplivated every day driving.

Reactions: EVNow
Not going to stop you from experimenting and proving this for yourself (the world needs a LOT more people who apply the scientific method to their everyday lives and not just believe what they hear). But you are right: hard braking and aggressive turning are time-based measurements. mileage can't dilute those dings. Only more time spent doing good braking and good cornering can reduce the dings.
What if you get on highway and drove 500 miles and just constantly changing lanes and riding brakes?

What if you get on highway and drove 500 miles and just constantly changing lanes and riding brakes?
you likely will got create enough lateral g forces to trigger "good" cornering from just lane changes. Riding the brakes also does nothing if you are not actually decelerating. The hard braking is also looking for a certain g force threshold. I suppose if there's no one behind you, you can constantly decelerate and accelerate, then repeat. But you don't need 500 miles to get your hard braking dings down. Less than 1 mile would suffice.

Reactions: ajax85
Not going to stop you from experimenting and proving this for yourself (the world needs a LOT more people who apply the scientific method to their everyday lives and not just believe what they hear). But you are right: hard braking and aggressive turning are time-based measurements. mileage can't dilute those dings. Only more time spent doing good braking and good cornering can reduce the dings.

Mileage can't dilute those things for the daily safety score, but how does mileage play into the "mileage-weighted average" that's used to calculate the aggregated safety score?

If I have a low score due to hard braking due to events that normally occur in city driving (stop lights that go yellow in the worst moment) or other drivers driving recklessly it does seem like I can improve my total score by driving a lot of miles on AP during a day (assuming nothing goes wrong where I'm forced to disengage it).

The mileage weighted average is what's used to determine eligibility.

If I do this experiment with the Safety Score Spreadsheet that someone posted I can vastly improve my current score of 83 by driving 100 miles with a score of 100. I can't see how it matters how those miles are driven as long as I score a 100.

Last edited:
Good point - I think that they would have to cut off scores below a certain %, like 90 for now. We don't know how many beta testers Tesla wants to let in - Elon indicated that it would be 1000 per day, but for how many days? Maybe they will let in 10-20k? Is that too small of a group?
Doesn't it strike you as odd (and perhaps unrealistic) that Tesla would keep the beta tester group super small for a year and then suddenly open it up to thousands and thousands of additional testers within a period of days, even though the software still has a long ways to go?

The more I think about it, the more it seems as if something doesn't quite add up. Either Tesla could have substantially expanded the beta testing group several months ago or it is planning to open it more slowly than 1,000 people a day starting this weekend.

I’m surprised I got 100 today. Per my calcs, the 0.3% braking and 0.6% following numbers should have dinged me down to 99.4232 which typically rounds down to 99, not up to 100.

@AlanSubie4Life can you please check my math?

2C0EBAAC-2B5E-4662-862F-00B89743F4AE.jpeg

I’m surprised I got 100 today. Per my calcs, the 0.3% braking and 0.6% following numbers should have dinged me down to 99.4232 which typically rounds down to 99, not up to 100.

@AlanSubie4Life can you please check my math?

View attachment 717972
most likely, the percentages you see, significant to the tenths digit, is not precise enough for the calculation. Those could be slightly rounded up (0.28 or 0.51) etc. So that could explain why you are at 100.

Doesn't it strike you as odd (and perhaps unrealistic) that Tesla would keep the beta tester group super small for a year and then suddenly open it up to thousands and thousands of additional testers within a period of days, even though the software still has a long ways to go?

The more I think about it, the more it seems as if something doesn't quite add up. Either Tesla could have substantially expanded the beta testing group several months ago or it is planning to open it more slowly than 1,000 people a day starting this weekend.
Not really. It might be time to expand access. You might want to double/quadruple usage.

Reactions: kbM3
Here I had been at a perfect 100 for 5 days over 100 miles. Yesterday I drove to ucla from San Diego and scored 97 for the 220 mile trip. Most of it was on autopilot. Twice I was cut off and AP aggressively applied the brakes. I was dinged. I had the following distance set to the highest value of 7. Dinged for following too close. I even got an aggressive turn - can’t figure that one out. So, a week of driving like an octogenarian in chill mode was ruined by being on the 405. So I’m now at 97 total with no real way to make it up. I’ll happily let Tesla refund my FSD cost and call it a day. I’m dreading driving now…
You have less than 3 hours to improve your daily score: 1. to fix following too close, you need to drive over 50 mph and follow a car within 3 seconds without AP (but more than 1 second, or you will get another ding). 2. To fix aggressive turn, you can drive on a roundabout with G Sensor (app on Play store) and make sure the G is bigger than 0.2 but less than 0.4. If you have enough time you can get 100 for today. I had a similar situation last Friday: drove 90 miles but was dinged when existing freeway before a red light for hard breaking (1.3%) which made my daily score to 97. I found a quite road and keep accelerating and regen braking while watching G sensor to make sure it more than 0.1 less than 0.3. I got dinged again once, but I managed to lower the hard breaking score from 1.3% to 0.4% by midnight and daily score from 97 to 99. If I have time I can bring it down to 0.2 and fix my daily score to 100. Then I made another 90 mile drive next day with 100 to bring my overall score back to 100 (from 99.41 to 99.51). Also if you know you are dinged, you can reset to discard that trip (I didn't know I was dinged)

Just got done driving around and around and around and around in the roundabout near my house at 13 mph for 6 minutes. Safety score 100 today…if I can put 527 more miles on the car before Friday night at a 100 score, I should be able to bring my average score to 100. Been sitting at 99…

Wife’s car just needs like 120 more miles at 100 to get it to 100, should be able to do that tomorrow after work.

Mileage can't dilute those things for the daily safety score, but how does mileage play into the "mileage-weighted average" that's used to calculate the aggregated safety score?

If I have a low score due to hard braking due to events that normally occur in city driving (stop lights that go yellow in the worst moment) or other drivers driving recklessly it does seem like I can improve my total score by driving a lot of miles on AP during a day (assuming nothing goes wrong where I'm forced to disengage it).

The mileage weighted average is what's used to determine eligibility.

If I do this experiment with the Safety Score calculator that someone posted I can vastly improve my current score of 83 by driving 100 miles with a score of 100. I can't see how it matters how those miles are driven as long as I score a 100.

Once the day passes, that score is locked in, and the total miles driven that day will be used to weight your overall score. So if it's still the same day that you got a ding on hard braking, for example, then you can go for a ride to nullify it by performing "safe" decelerations. If you don't bother with that, then keep your mileage low for the day, and those dings are indirectly weighted less via mileage in the overall score calculation. Hope that made sense.

Basically, drive more if your score is good. Drive less if your score is bad. Drive more if you're able to nullify But make sure as you're driving more, you don't accidentally cause more dings. Gaming the system can be fun or stressful, depending on your mindset on this whole thing :)