Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also got dinged once for “hard stop”. No AP this time. Used the break once to turn off the main road into McDs - .3g is too low in the sense it’s too low for normal situations.

I've also been dinged for hard braking when I'm quite confident I did not engage in hard braking. I know that the support page indicates that it's measuring .3g negative acceleration or more--but I wonder: is it also measuring force against the pedal?

Reason I ask: I like auto hold. Occasionally I'll come to a complete stop at a stoplight, then tap (stomp?) the brake to engage auto hold. This is the only thing I can think of that I did that might have caused the hard braking thingamabobky to register. I was driving like a geriatric--gaming the safety score to up my chances of getting in the beta. There was NO hard braking other than that.

If anyone has a short drive with a bad braking or turning score, DO NOT go on a long drive with AP on that same day to improve it. Since braking and turning are expressed as ratios, AP mileage will have zero effect on helping your daily braking and turning scores. But the extra mileage will weight that poor daily score more heavily compared with the other days.

Conversely if you go for a very long AP drive and return home with a perfect score over 500 miles, and then go around the block with and have one second of hard braking and 5 seconds of gentle braking, you would have a heavily weighted very bad day, that would badly damage your weekly total.

If you have a bad turning or braking score, the only way to improve it that day is a drive with lots of gentle deceleration or turns, to increase the denominator.

Note: Also applies to unsafe following.

Last edited:
I think I got “unsafe follow” time for the drive through line at McD’s.
The definition says you can only get that when moving at least 50 MPH.

1632681803812.png

Are you going 50+ MPH in the drive-thru line?

Last edited:
Do the miles driven on autopilot count toward your score mileage? If I am planning on a long drive today, should I NOT USE autopilot in order to work on my score? I know the autopilot interventions don’t count against me, but do the miles traveled count for me?
On unsafe following it does not look like the auto pilot miles count for you. I almost doubled my mileage today (most on AP) and unsafe following is still about 14%

8DD23552-BA63-48BE-B22A-40FFA90BCE83.png
A65122BF-FDDD-43A9-8143-7C661351DC1C.png

Reactions: davidsharette
What seems to work for most (me included) is completely deleting the app from your iOS device and then going to the App Store and reinstalling.

Did that. Still not showing up.

Things I’ve done:
  • Check the three boxes and request access to FSD Beta
  • Update to app version 4.1.0
  • Logged out of the app and back in
  • Deleted app and reinstalled
  • App is logged in as owner, not the additional drive

update from an hour after starting to write this post: updating to iOS 14.8 finally did the trick!

Somehow it thinks I racked up nearly 75 forward collision warnings in 14 miles yesterday. 🤦‍♂️

37455C0A-B8BC-4152-A394-378AA20A3C0B.png

5B435E7B-C931-4747-9753-924122FA24A5.png

Reactions: Sporty
Ha ha ha. Morons. I got the update on an iPad which had the old app installed. When I updated I saw my score was 7 for a deliberateply mellow trip to the hardware store a mile away! Ha ha ha. Morons. Hard braking? Sorry, none, unless you mean when I came to a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill and regen wasn’t going to be enough so I braked softly enough that Grammy wouldn’t have woken up from her afternoon slumber. Moreover I got a forward collision warning because I passed by a car parked in the side of a wide road. Huh? Or maybe it was because I got a lane departure warning because I was in my goddamned driveway. Larfs! Glad I don’t have Tesla insurance, what a joke.
You sound, um, bitter.

The real kicker here is that your PERSONAL driving preferences have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how safe you actually are and how well you can monitor FSD beta driving and intervening when needed to keep you and your car safe.

how I drive my car manually has no bearing on my ability to be responsible when I monitor FSD Beta.
A tad alarmist and narcissistic, no?

Seems unlikely downhill was the problem

Hard braking is defined as losing about 6 mph of speed every second.

If you’re going UPHILL and let off the accelerator, you’re going to decelerate more because gravity and being at higher risk of slowing more than 6 mph/s.

Conversely letting off the accelerator while going downhill results in less deceleration.

You can even ACCELERATE with your foot off the accelerator altogether on a steep enough decline.
Tesla defines hard braking as >0.3g like 6.7mph decrease of speed in one second.

If that's on flat ground, then if you instead are going down a steep hill you're going to have to decelerate higher than 0.3g (vector sum) in order to stop at 6.7mph per second.

Ever stopped suddenly at the bottom of a steep hill, your stuff all slides forward and you are forced against the seatbelt. Stop at the same rate going up a hill and stuff barely moves. Braking (backward accelerometer reading) is much higher going down a hill because of gravity trying to speed you up. That's assuming they are measuring by accelerometer and not rate of decrease in speed.

Last edited:
Finally took the car for a very slow drive around the neighborhood @ 25 mph to get my first score on the sideloaded app. It apparently didn't mind going close to objects in my garage and awarded me 100. No AP. Planning to drive about 10 miles everyday and see how it goes.

ps : Its clear to me looking at all the reports, the safety rating beta is a very rough beta at present. No wonder they don't use it for calculating the premium in CA now. They need to have some metadata (like speed of the car, traffic conditions etc) with each event to figure out which events should be considered and which infractions are "excused". Otherwise they will get useless ratings.

On unsafe following it does not look like the auto pilot miles count for you. I almost doubled my mileage today (most on AP) and unsafe following is still about 14%

View attachment 714600View attachment 714601.
This whole thing stresses me out. I almost wish it wasn’t transparent. I paid $3,000 for FSD and now I feel like it’s on me to prove to them that I deserve it. I get it, but it’s stressful.

Attachments

• 30073467-4227-4CF7-8AE0-CAA5FA1F308D.png
    30073467-4227-4CF7-8AE0-CAA5FA1F308D.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 53
ps : Its clear to me looking at all the reports, the safety rating beta is a very rough beta at present. No wonder they don't use it for calculating the premium in CA now. They need to have some metadata (like speed of the car, traffic conditions etc) with each event to figure out which events should be considered and which infractions are "excused". Otherwise they will get useless ratings.
That's more likely because California state law (Prop. 103) prohibits insurance companies from using telematics to set premiums. They must be calculated based on safety record, length of driving experience, and miles driven annually.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
B

Things I’ve done:

update from an hour after starting to write this post: updating to iOS 14.8 finally did the trick!

Somehow it thinks I racked up nearly 75 forward collision warnings in 14 miles yesterday. 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 714602

View attachment 714603No, that is your average per 1000 miles.

Seems unlikely downhill was the problem

Hard braking is defined as losing about 6 mph of speed every second.

If you’re going UPHILL and let off the accelerator, you’re going to decelerate more because gravity and being at higher risk of slowing more than 6 mph/s.

Conversely letting off the accelerator while going downhill results in less deceleration.

You can even ACCELERATE with your foot off the accelerator altogether on a steep enough decline.
Except that there have been multiple people complaining about being dinged for regen braking on downhill. The regen is programmed for a fixed deceleration but when you add the deceleration to the acceleration due to gravity it you could exceed the hard braking threshold.
My hypothesis is that if you were stick the car on its nose the system would register 1g of braking force because it's using the accelerometer to measure both lateral (turning) and longitudinal (braking) force.

Reactions: TheOx
This whole thing stresses me out. I almost wish it wasn’t transparent. I paid $3,000 for FSD and now I feel like it’s on me to prove to them that I deserve it. I get it, but it’s stressful.
Think of it like loaning your new car to your best friend's 16 year old kid. On one hand, you like the kid.. but it's your car!

Tesla is taking a huge risk letting people drive its unreleased software. Some might say it goes beyond "risky". I think they are feeling pushed into doing it. Your feeling stressed is probably exactly what they want, people to drive on eggshells.

But hey, they've done it so it's on them.

What they haven't done yet is say it's ready for release. So none of the people who paid for FSD actually deserve it yet. Sucks. I know.

Reactions: EVNow

Things I’ve done:

View attachment 714602

View attachment 714603
That’s not that many FCW events. That’s how many you would have over 1k miles if you had them at the same rate over that distance.

Reactions: Big Earl
My hypothesis is that if you were stick the car on its nose the system would register 1g of braking force because it's using the accelerometer to measure both lateral (turning) and longitudinal (braking) force.
My hypothesis is that you'd be more worried about paying for the body work when attempting to put a 2-ton vehicle on its front grille.

;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Ramphex