Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Def #1 .. nothing will happen until 10.2, which will arrive "late" (only in "Elon time", since in reality it will arrive when its ready). Even then they wont send out the 10.2 to new testers until there is some form of signup (even if its not a full NDA).

I'm also dubious about the entire methodology here. I'm fine with Tesla selecting beta testers carefully, but I think the way they have done so is borderline absurd. For a car that is about to try to drive itself, we get a "test" that penalizes drivers for braking at a yellow light??? Seriously? All those smart guys working on new AI and all they can come up with is a half dozen dumb metrics?

The problem is, Tesla *think* they are selecting cautious drivers so that they will get careful testers (and no crashes that would create headlines and cause government to step in). However, since they published the "game" rules they are going to get (a) people who fake being good drivers so they can get on the beta and (b) people who hardly ever drive the car (since they apparently dont care if you log 5 or 500 miles of driving).

Also, it's not clear to me that a "granny" driver is a good beta tester anyway .. someone who genuinely drives in the manner needed to have 100% score is very likely to be rather slow and cautious because they are bad drivers. Just the kind of person who will not be alert enough to step in when the car does something wrong.
After a couple of days ago when I’m driving, I’ll drive normally. When fsd is on I’ll be conservative on what I let it do.

My fave little sister and good-looking GF are visiting and neither have ever ridden in a Tesla. Will my Safety Score be affected if I do a 0 to 60 blastoff? I may as well not give them a ride if I can't give them a thrill...
Are you from Alabama? Juuuuuust Kidding... I was born there so I take pot shots all the time. You can even ask my UncleDaddy. 😂

In all seriosnes tho..It is not SUPPOSED to count launches / acceleration against you. Haven't verified my self as I am holding 99 at almost 1,300 miles so not taking one for the team yet. However give yourself plenty of room to slow down or you will be hit pretty hard with "Hard Braking" & possibly "Aggressive Steering" dings.

Based on other anecdotal reports here launches are forgiven.

Last edited:
There are a few more high mileage 100's on the TeslaFi board. Bigriver did around 500 mi in a day.

1633526462225.png

With the new TeslaFi stats, now showing for 1400 cars that have 'pushed the button, I wonder if we can extrapolate that to the larger population.

What is the percent of the total population of beta candidate cars on TeslaFi? If it is 4%, that means a total of 35,000 cars are tracking their safety scores. Of that number, 8% have 100, or 2800 cars, which is three days of beta release. It could be a lot less, maybe even 1/2 of that.

1633526409343.png

Attachments

• 1633526453226.png
    1633526453226.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 27
There are a few more high mileage 100's on the TeslaFi board. Bigriver did around 500 mi in a day.

View attachment 718362

With the new TeslaFi stats, now showing for 1400 cars that have 'pushed the button, I wonder if we can extrapolate that to the larger population.

What is the percent of the total population of beta candidate cars on TeslaFi? If it is 4%, that means a total of 35,000 cars are tracking their safety scores. Of that number, 8% have 100, or 2800 cars, which is three days of beta release. It could be a lot less, maybe even 1/2 of that.

View attachment 718359
I think we would have to know both the number of cars on TeslaFI AND the number of those who selected the setting to allow the SafetyScore to be pulled from their Tesla Account? Too many unknown variables at this point I would think.

I think we would have to know both the number of cars on TeslaFI AND the number of those who selected the setting to allow the SafetyScore to be pulled from their Tesla Account? Too many unknown variables at this point I would think.

There are 4755 cars with 2021.32.22 or 30% of the Teslafi fleet that have the button. 1400 is what they are claiming pushed the button. So that is also 30% of that number. That may not be far off. I think a lot of people may not be that in tune with the FSD beta or even the score.

How many total cars have the button? 30% maybe then pushed it? Or are those cars on Teslafi already more inclined to push the button than a non-Teslafi car?

1633530507301.png

There are 4755 cars with 2021.32.22 or 30% of the Teslafi fleet that have the button. 1400 is what they are claiming pushed the button. So that is also 30% of that number. That may not be far off. I think a lot of people may not be that in tune with the FSD beta or even the score.

How many total cars have the button? 30% maybe then pushed it? Or are those cars on Teslafi already more inclined to push the button than a non-Teslafi car?

View attachment 718373
Is the 1400 or the 30% that have the 32.22 the onew that pushed the button AND selected to have their SafetyScore shared with TeslaFi, or is TeslaFI assuming that the number that HAVE selected to share their SafetyScore with TesalFi are the ones which have pushed the button and that is the 30% 1400 that they are referring to?

Is the 1400 or the 30% that have the 32.22 the onew that pushed the button AND selected to have their SafetyScore shared with TeslaFi, or is TeslaFI assuming that the number that HAVE selected to share their SafetyScore with TesalFi are the ones which have pushed the button and that is the 30% 1400 that they are referring to?
Actually, the TeslaFi settings only ask if you want your score showing on your main page, and the other is to share the data on the leaderboard. There isn't a setting to share the score or not with TeslaFi, so I assume they can see all cars that have a score.

Reactions: n.one.one
TeslaFi is now showing more Safety Score stats.

View attachment 718309
Count of TeslaFI users on 2021.32.22 (FSD opt-in button available) is ...
4,754 (29.2% of their 'fleet' 16K+ cars).

As of this moment the number of TeslaFI users showing their safety scores (opt-in within TeslaFI) is ...
1,414 vehicles (29.7% of 2021.32.22 TeslaFI users). This is up from 1386 shown earlier today.

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one

As of this moment the number of TeslaFI users showing their safety scores (opt-in within TeslaFI) is ...
1,414 Vehicles (29.7% of 32.22 TeslaFI users). This is up from 1386 shown earlier today.
I can't say I'm 100% sure but as @HighZ said above I believe that opt-in is only needed to be shown on the leaderboard. Since the 1,414 is anonymous I would assume that represents all TeslaFi users that have pushed the button. I may ask TeslaFi if they would clarify that for us.

1,414 Vehicles (29.7% of 32.22 TeslaFI users). This is up from 1386 shown earlier today.
I read that as about 10% of the entire fleet are interested in trying the FSD Beta. If someone knows the current US Tesla fleet size, we can probably estimate how many want to get into the Beta program.

Is FCW keeping your score low?
Yes -> good plan, miles driven on AP will dilute the FCWs-per-1000-miles score and increase it.
No, it's something else -> miles driven on AP will not add any good points to dilute the bad, and you'll just accumulate bad marks from driving manually only for tricky merges and immediately engaging AP which masks any good points.

To increase following score, drive manually whenever it's clear and you can follow someone while counting following seconds to stay in that 1-3 second window.
To increase braking score, just brake a lot with full regen. More seconds spent fully braking with regen = more good seconds to increase your score.
To increase turning score, general idea is to take road curves that have a yellow "curve ahead" speed limit sign at +5mph or so. Traffic turns I find best at 15-20mph. That's all about butt calibration... no good way to classify it, but if you take it too slowly, it doesn't count.

Enjoy the drive! 🙃
Yeah I had a few random FCW's on my drives over the last week and a half battling Los Angeles traffic on a few 101 Fwy merges. My long drive from Sunday combined with my safe and uneventful commutes this week have me back up to a 97. I'm hoping a 97 might still get me into the Beta group.

I read that as about 10% of the entire fleet are interested in trying the FSD Beta. If someone knows the current US Tesla fleet size, we can probably estimate how many want to get into the Beta program.
This was discussed in a recent thread: Number of FSD button pressers (wild speculation thread)

My estimate is that there are roughly 90,000 FSD owners in the US. I went on to speculate that 20,000-40,000 of those pushed the button, but that was wild speculation. Similar wild guesses from others has put the number of button pushers in the 10,000-50,000 range.

Further wild speculation is that ~10%-20% of button pushers have a 100% score.

These are highly speculative, but I think they're not off by orders of magnitude. So, tens of thousands pushed the button, and thousands have a perfect score.

No…that number would be too high. The number of FSD owners is close to 12% of the entire fleet. The number of people that have pushed the button is much smaller, and of that the number of people who have 100 score is even smaller.

This was discussed in a recent thread: Number of FSD button pressers (wild speculation thread)

My estimate is that there are roughly 90,000 FSD owners in the US. I went on to speculate that 20,000-40,000 of those pushed the button, but that was wild speculation. Similar wild guesses from others has put the number of button pushers in the 10,000-50,000 range.
How did you come up with the 90,000 FSD number? Last data point that I recall that seemed applicable was a few years ago when one on the long since replaced CFO’s at Tesla said they had about an 8% take rate? Several analysts tried to break out what portion of the rolling deferred revenue could possibly be FSD payments that they couldn’t yet recognize. 90K in the USA would be many multiples of that 8% I would think. COULD be, but it would imply a much higher full FSD take rate in recent years than in the past.

Last edited:

Further wild speculation is that ~10%-20% of button pushers have a 100% score.

These are highly speculative, but I think they're not off by orders of magnitude. So, tens of thousands pushed the button, and thousands have a perfect score.
I think you're good on the 20-40k number but I think the number of 100's is probably lower than 10%. I could believe 10-15% each with 99's and 98's then a taper down from there.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say 25-33% of the total group of button pushers is under 90%

This is just a guess based on my assumption that the teslafi users and tmc members are going to be a bit more involved in trying to get a good score vs the average tesla driver that purchased FSD.

Remember: AP masks everything.
I still believe that there may be at least one instance where AP may not be used 'appropriately' as EM cryptically said, and therefore not masking an event. In particular, if you override AP with your accelerator, that may turn off the masking. I had gotten used to 'helping' AP start moving, or preventing a hard brake by pressing lightly on the pedal. This may be what is causing some people to have following and FCW events while on AP.

I now consciously avoid touching the accelerator when on AP.