Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this kind of makes you a sadist and terrible person. My sympathies to those around you on a regular basis.
A poster doesn’t bow down and worship Elon, or praise Tesla for demanding they to do unnecessary work to get the software they paid for after years = you’re a terrible human being. A total scum.

The cult is alive and well!

My family is going to be SO happy with me.
I've already banned my wife from driving the Tesla for 2 weeks now.
Yesterday when it was announced that 100 scores were getting beta, I parked the car and nobody drove it since it was at 100 and the last thing I needed was to lower my score especially since the 1,000 per day rollout was delayed if you weren't at 100....Now that the goal posts have moved again, I'm going to be Mr. Popular around here! I think I'll keep it garaged another couple of days. I do have 567 cumulative miles, so it's not "gamed", I'm just trying to get this car back into the family rotation (with beta for me) as quickly as possible. Grrrrrr....

I would say technically it's still gamed, but just not as severely as garaging it with 1 mile at 100.

Even my own situation was gamed as I did silly things like accelerating and then braking softly over, and over with no one around to remove hard braking that I did because of possums that got in the way.

I really wish they would have collected the data internally in some firmware build weeks before the button release so the button release immediately showed you the results of up to 30 days. That way you had to start from whatever score it gave you based on that data.

Instead they told us exactly how it was calculated and we either adjusted our driving to match or didn't (I didn't on the first day with it). If we adjusted then technically we gamed it.

I don't think anyone who didn't play the game got the 100. Some really cautious drivers probably got close though.

Can anyone confirm if they have been able to get their scores moved up at all? According to the spreadsheet I needed 270 miles to reach 99.51. This should round it up to 100 but I’m still overall stuck at 99…. Did Tesla lock the overall safety rating since yesterday?

I haven't driven since yesterday, but I can't see why Tesla would lock the scores.

In my experience the spreadsheet has been pretty solid so I would trust it. But, I wouldn't trust Musk.

That 99.51 rounds to 100, but we don't know if Tesla will round that way.

My bet is they'll simply give 1K people who have the best scores the beta, and your 99.51 just won't cut it.

So if I was you I wouldn't waste any time on it, and simply drive normally. The Monday date could easily get moved to Friday, and then you'd have the torture of being at >99.51 for 4 more days.

I'm guessing that the way the FSD beta is handled will be the topic of many doctoral theses in business and psych programs.
I'm already writing my thesis on Tesla ownership over the last 6 years to submit to the CEO of Rivian.

A big part of that will be FSD as I fear Rivian will go down the same path.

They have a tendency to copy Tesla which is fine as its the good stuff, and not the bad stuff.

Can anyone confirm if they have been able to get their scores moved up at all? According to the spreadsheet I needed 270 miles to reach 99.51. This should round it up to 100 but I’m still overall stuck at 99…. Did Tesla lock the overall safety rating since yesterday?
I got mine up from 99 to 100 on the 8th by driving an extra ~120 miles with a 100 trip score yes. That was on the 8th into the 9th early am, doubtful they locked the score from changing, but no one knows if they already picked the first people to roll out to. But I also doubt the selected people already

Reactions: FalconFour
I think, by the time they release the software, whenever, that there will be more 100s then they need or want - resulting in another.....
If only they would start checking for resets or cleanse the data of people who had used that excessively (three strikes or whatever), my guess is this wouldn’t be a problem, and they could improve the quality of their pool.

And if only this were one of the “last-minute concerns” that Elon mentioned…

People who are really driving for hundreds of miles in these last few days with 100 scores with no issues should definitely be admitted regardless of how many there are. It’s not that difficult to do, but it also takes some work and care to do so - as long as you don’t get to take mulligans all the time (then it is easy!).

Reactions: rxlawdude
If only they would start checking for resets or cleanse the data of people who had used that excessively (three strikes or whatever), my guess is this wouldn’t be a problem, and they could improve the quality of their pool.

And if only this were one of the “last-minute concerns” that Elon mentioned…

People who are really driving for hundreds of miles in these last few days with 100 scores with no issues should definitely be admitted regardless of how many there are. It’s not that difficult to do, but it also takes some work and care to do so - as long as you don’t get to take mulligans all the time (then it is easy!).
My comment revolved more around the sheer number that may now meet the last reported on Thursday criteria that all 100/100s would get the update. Originally, Elon thought that would be at most 1200, but by Monday, the actual number may be a number greater than 1200, and more than Tesla wants to include in the first wave.

LOL at all the people not using their $50K asset trying to keep a score.
LOL at all the people driving extra miles in their environmentally sensitive car trying to up an arbitrary score.
LOL at all the people realizing that any drive "risks" their score, so maybe this isn't a great measure of you as a driver, and is really just a lottery.

Here's to Monday. Just wonder which Monday.....

Yet, you're so cheap you won't give Elon $100 to be part of the comedy playing out.

You just start a gofundme for $100 just to see if TMC people will give you the $100 to see how the track impacts your score, but you really need to do a drive before the track destroys it.

• Funny
Reactions: gearchruncher
You guys are nuts…we have already paid thousands for this software, waited years, and now putting hundreds of extra miles on just to be able to get it.

This is getting crazy…

I'm really hoping some media organization will write a well written story on it.

It's one of those hilarious stories that's hard to explain.

Like I've been seeing a woman that has no idea about any of this, and how it impacts me. I can't because then she'd just run away thinking I was nutty.

Well I am, but I just don't want her to run away quite yet. :)

If there was an article I could just share it.

A poster doesn’t bow down and worship Elon, or praise Tesla for demanding they to do unnecessary work to get the software they paid for after years = you’re a terrible human being. A total scum.

The cult is alive and well!

It wasn't any of that, but he error'd in making it personal against people in the predicament.

I'm not sure why he did that as I generally support his position on it.

Instead they told us exactly how it was calculated and we either adjusted our driving to match or didn't (I didn't on the first day with it). If we adjusted then technically we gamed it.

I don't think anyone who didn't play the game got the 100. Some really cautious drivers probably got close though.
Totally agree. I've been driving super-carefully I admit (but on my usual mix of shopping and work trips) and managed to stay at 99%, but all the "dings" I got were justified by "good" (imho) driving such stopping for yellow lights downhill, and once for an ambulance that did a U turn in front of me.

If Tesla genuinely want decent testers they are better off disqualifying the 100% scores as gaming the system (yeah sure, it will outrage many people, but they have already done that anyway).

Tesla genuinely want decent testers they are better off disqualifying the 100% scores as gaming the system (yeah sure, it will outrage many people, but they have already done that anyway).
Do explain your thinking here!

Are you saying people with 100 scores are the only ones doing two-button resets? I would guess it is more common in the 100 score group. But they are certainly not the only ones. So how do you reconcile that? How do you know that the 100 drivers present a greater risk? This is what you are saying.

I think the two-button reset trick is awful but I don’t think lopping off 100 scores is the ticket to fixing it. I’d suggest Tesla forcing a software update closing the loophole and ignoring future data which is not from the updated software.

Totally agree. I've been driving super-carefully I admit (but on my usual mix of shopping and work trips) and managed to stay at 99%, but all the "dings" I got were justified by "good" (imho) driving such stopping for yellow lights downhill, and once for an ambulance that did a U turn in front of me.

If Tesla genuinely want decent testers they are better off disqualifying the 100% scores as gaming the system (yeah sure, it will outrage many people, but they have already done that anyway).
I honestly have only driven very late at night/early morning to avoid as many drivers as possible so I can go as slow as possible. Thats the only way I've avoided a yellow light leading to hard breaking, or someone pulling out and giving me a collision warning. I'm constantly looking in my rear view mirror waiting to get rear-ended because I'm going the speed limit. Which where I live is literally like 20mph slower than anyone on the road drives around here. Trying to make a slow smooth turn with someone behind me turns into white knuckling while slowly regen braking with my blinker on for ages, hoping no one gets road rage against me. It has been stressful

Do explain your thinking here!

Are you saying people with 100 scores are the only ones doing two-button resets? I would guess it is more common in the 100 score group. But they are certainly not the only ones. So how do you reconcile that? How do you know that the 100 drivers present a greater risk? This is what you are saying.

I think the two-button reset trick is awful but I don’t think lopping off 100 scores is the ticket to fixing it. I’d suggest Tesla forcing a software update closing the loophole and ignoring future data which is not from the updated software.
I'm confused the car logs everything, I would assume its pretty easy to be able to automatically pull the logs off the cars that are enrolled and see any forced reboots while driving and at least flag that person for extra manual/automatic verification to see if they were trying to game the system. I feel like they have the data they need if they really want to weed those people out and wouldn't even require an update.

My comment revolved more around the sheer number that may now meet the last reported on Thursday criteria that all 100/100s would get the update.

I feel like the numbers we’re talking about are likely not that large. Another 1000? That just adds another 25% to the overall tester pool, probably. Seems ok.

It would be good if these testers had legit 100 scores though. This can be solved by closing the loophole and forcing a high score to be maintained while a beta tester. Unfortunate but I think that loophole means less hysteresis on the scoring after admission if they really want to purge the pool of cheaters.

Apparently not if you have steep downhills ... or even small downhills and get a yellow light or something.
There are definitely tricky situations (e.g. my video posted here earlier). But it is still not that hard and for the most part these issues can be resolved by driving at the speed limit. I live on a hill at 870 feet and elevation goes to 1000 feet before plunging to 300-500 feet over about one mile.

Plus people who live on hills may be higher risk.

Last edited:
I feel like they have the data they need if they really want to weed those people out and wouldn't even require an update.
Yeah maybe they are combing through the data as we speak. That should limit the pool. Definitely a lot of people will be upset though.

As has been mentioned, there are occasional legitimate reasons for a reset so it’s tricky - a no tolerance policy is tough.

It’s also not clear exactly what data they could look at if the safety data is lost. I believe they can easily figure out how many unlogged miles exist and probably how many resets were done, but that is it.

Reactions: mwasylyk
Yeah maybe they are combing through the data as we speak. That should limit the pool.
Right, to me it seems to just come down to if they think its a problem large enough to dedicate the effort to. Rather than just let it run its course for now until they have an update to add a warning or something to your score page when they detect you rebooted. Because the tricky thing is rebooting is sometimes something you need to do. But the % of reboots needed because of a bug vs trying to hide a bad trip score is probably very low in this pool of people right now with everyone trying to get a perfect score. I would be surprised if it wasn't a known/expected behavior before the button was deployed and that scenario was accounted for/considered not worth their time to delay the rollout of the button.

I got a forward collision warning on a car that was probably 8 seconds (maybe 6, tough to estimate) ahead of me on a steep hill. I had been following it for awhile and we were both going about 30 mph. The visualization showed the car as red. I think it might of thought the car was coming at me. I forget what kind of car it looked like, but the back of it kind of looked like the front of a Volkswagen Beetle.

I did a reboot.