Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage 2022 Model Y LR. High Voltage Battery contactors not closing. Car has the new Li-Ion 12v battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.
I also got a new one and was able to download the update.
It now won’t actually update saying there is a issue with the 12v system.
I did change the battery and the only was taken apart and trashed.
Anyone have an idea what is next?

Btw, after getting my car running I thought maybe on the newest software she enter service mode. I swapped my old Vcfront back in and tried to see if in service mode I'd be able to clear the crash data and reset Vcfront. As soon as I switched it, it went right back to service mode only loading. Swapped back in the new one and good to go. I guess these Vcfront are garbage until someone can set up a service of some sort resetting them like SRS modules.

Btw, after getting my car running I thought maybe on the newest software she enter service mode. I swapped my old Vcfront back in and tried to see if in service mode I'd be able to clear the crash data and reset Vcfront. As soon as I switched it, it went right back to service mode only loading. Swapped back in the new one and good to go. I guess these Vcfront are garbage until someone can set up a service of some sort resetting them like SRS modules.
Yes sir. I tried to do the same thing. It was stuck in blank service mode.

So I tried something else, I put back the old VCFront, and reinstalled the firmware again several times.

The PCS is working now, and NOT showing MIA as before, but now the BMS is show as “Faulty” which is weird because it was working before.

Now i’m only stuck with these errors related to the BMS not being able to close the contactors:

BMS_a081
BMS_a083
BMS_a071

View attachment 896734Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but how is the PCS functioning without HV (which requires the contactors to be closed)?

This is preventing the task “Reconnect LVBMS” from executing as the this task requires HV to be ON

An update to my case, I replaced the PCS and the contactors closed properly after “Service Can Redeploy”

In my case seems like when the pyro fuse exploded it was the reason the PCS got fried in the process.

My guess is that this is very rare situation and not a lot of cars will have that.

For most cases, updating old firmware and clearing load shed will do.

If your car can’t open service mode for geofencing reasons… you can just reset factory settings from toolbox.

And if you can’t get service mode or it’s just loading blank white page, you can clear laod shed from toolbox as there is aroutine to do so if you can’t access it from service mode.

Basically every single action you can do from service mode, you can also do from toolbox.

If you are trying to rebuild 2022 car without toolbox, this might be difficult if the car hasn’t been updated to a newer software version.

Using another vcfront will only help you because you are unable to close the eFuse and clear load shed from service mode or toolbox.

And if you do rebuild Tesla’s regularly, it’s best to have an updated, cleared vcfront handy for such cases.

Last edited:
An update to my case, I replaced the PCS and the contactors closed properly after “Service Can Redeploy”

In my case seems like when the pyro fuse exploded it was the reason the PCS got fried in the process.

My guess is that this is very rare situation and not a lot of cars will have that.

For most cases, updating old firmware and clearing load shed will do.

If your car can’t open service mode for geofencing reasons… you can just reset factory settings from toolbox.

And if you can’t get service mode or it’s just loading blank white page, you can clear laod shed from toolbox as there is aroutine to do so if you can’t access it from service mode.

Basically every single action you can do from service mode, you can also do from toolbox.

If you are trying to rebuild 2022 car without toolbox, this might be difficult if the car hasn’t been updated to a newer software version.

Using another vcfront will only help you because you are unable to close the eFuse and clear load shed from service mode or toolbox.

And if you do rebuild Tesla’s regularly, it’s best to have an updated, cleared vcfront handy for such cases.
How to clear the load Shed with the Toolbox? What command should be able to get it

How to clear the load Shed with the Toolbox? What command should be able to get it
“Clear crash load shed”

Your software version should be not so old because this routine was presented a while after they implemented the Li-Ion battery.

It is important that you have a new software version, because I’m suspecting that even if your version includes this action it is not working well, as I’ve seen a patch mentioned somewhere in toolbox about fixing this action, which means in older versions this action was not functioning properly.

“Clear crash load shed”

Your software version should be not so old because this routine was presented a while after they implemented the Li-Ion battery.

It is important that you have a new software version, because I’m suspecting that even if your version includes this action it is not working well, as I’ve seen a patch mentioned somewhere in toolbox about fixing this action, which means in older versions this action was not functioning properly.
Do you mean the toolbox version? I use the toolbox online version, I'm not seeing any other way for the toolbox also there is no command for clear crash load in the toolbox

Do you mean the toolbox version? I use the toolbox online version, I'm not seeing any other way for the toolbox also there is no command for clear crash load in the toolbox
Toolbox will only show commands that are present in the car. To see the option you need to update the car to new version of software. If you can’t do the update then your only remaining options are to replace the vcfront or take the car to Tesla.

Yes sir. I tried to do the same thing. It was stuck in blank service mode.
I wonder what the official process from tesla is. Maybe on the newest update you could do something with toolbox. If I had it I'd tey
Toolbox will only show commands that are present in the car. To see the option you need to update the car to new version of software. If you can’t do the update then your only remaining options are to replace the vcfront or take the car to Tesla.
So you can swap that vcfront to a car running the latest software and then it should work with toolbox.