Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage 2022 Model Y LR. High Voltage Battery contactors not closing. Car has the new Li-Ion 12v battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It look like the same Problem I got.
There is no bad parts is only software issue. The solution is to install the firmware on every single ecu manually and redeploy the software. The problem is that nobody knows, beside Tesla, How to do it!!! Best shot you have is fix the car, complete, and schedule an appointment with tesla service.

It look like the same Problem I got.
There is no bad parts is only software issue. The solution is to install the firmware on every single ecu manually and redeploy the software. The problem is that nobody knows, beside Tesla, How to do it!!! Best shot you have is fix the car, complete, and schedule an appointment with tesla service.
I agree, there must be a way to individually deploy firmware into ECUs.

I have received my new VCFRONT today and installed it, the car started showing more errors now as the software version mismatches to other ECUs, which i guess is normal.

Tried Redeploy Can, didn’t work, and started showing Gateway firmware update error, i guess that means the whole deploy is failed.

So i let the car download the latest firmware and trigger firmware update.

Now the car is stuck at 10%:

1A2FC15B-C796-405D-AB84-89276D832BF5.jpeg

This screen stays the same for 1 hour, did car reboot and tried updating again and i got:

2239188C-C9C8-465F-A046-72DBF76A1ACE.jpeg

Without deeper look into the logs I can’t do anything, is there anyway into downloading the logs into usb or sdcard.

P.S. i had sdcard in the MCU during the whole process, checked it for logs, nothing was on it.

Attachments

• 6899B45B-D816-4F02-A92C-304A1103C40D.jpeg
    6899B45B-D816-4F02-A92C-304A1103C40D.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 135
I have received my new VCFRONT today and installed it, the car started showing more errors now as the software version mismatches to other ECUs, which i guess is normal.

Tried Redeploy Can, didn’t work, and started showing Gateway firmware update error, i guess that means the whole deploy is failed.

View attachment 888035

This screen stays the same for 1 hour, did car reboot and tried updating again and i got:

View attachment 888036

Without deeper look into the logs I can’t do anything, is there anyway into downloading the logs into usb or sdcard.

P.S. i had sdcard in the MCU during the whole process, checked it for logs, nothing was on it.
Hi Mohammed,
Did you buy a new vcfront?
Or used one from Ebay?
You have a same issue with me.
I hope your process finish sucessfully.
Happy holiday!

View attachment 888035

View attachment 888036

Unfortunately it won’t update because of the old version firmware installed on the car … I’m sorry did not work!!!

Hi Mohammed,
Did you buy a new vcfront?
Or used one from Ebay?
You have a same issue with me.
I hope your process finish sucessfully.
Happy holiday!
Hi, Happy holidays to you.

I bought the VCFRONT brand new from Tesla SC,
I talked to Tesla SC today they said they won’t be able to help as the car is salvage and they don’t fix salvage, he even told me that the online version of toolbox is useless in my case, so we need someone with more access to toolbox to able to help.

a quick update:

I tried to today to open the PCS to verify all fuses are intact, nothing really to see there all fuses were ok.
Apart from breaking tesla warranty seal nothing came out of that.

But funny thing, during the steps I did to work on the PCS, I disconnected the connector linked to the first responder:

1672319230968.png

Of course I also disconnected the LV Battery and the Auxiliary 14.7 power supply that I have hooked to the car.

After I closed the PCS back again and I was putting back the penthouse cover, I plugged the HV connecter on the top of the penthouse, and let the car do the update again (for the zillion times),, and.....

A new development, the progress is now reaching more than 10%, and the car making new sounds...
I knew something is different this time, I let the car do everything without interruptions, and the new firmware was installed successfully.

Now I thought that would be the end of my problems, but I knew I wouldn't be that lucky, the car is still showing some errors and refusing to turn on the PCS:

1672319567467.jpeg

But seems like it's more informative, especially since they did some update to toolbox as well, it shows more data now, still not enough to tell what is the problem exactly though.

Anyway, it seems like the earlier mentioned connecter had something today with firmware update failing, I'm guess by keeping it disconnected the affected unit stayed offline and the firmware just skipped it and updated the MCU firmware without it.

Progress:
- Firmware update to v11.1 (2022.44.25.3)
- Can control indicators and other LV devices
- Power Steering is now working
- Breaks are powered on

Not fixed:
- PCS still offline
- LVBMS Reconnect still failing:

1672319939369.jpeg

BTW: I noticed after the firmware update there is a new option in the LV Service menu called "Clear Post Crash Load Shed", and same is now available in toolbox, I guess due to ODIN being updated with he firmware, my guess is that routine is the one missing from old firmware and responsible to reset the VCFRONT after crash:

1672320173312.jpeg

1672320216727.jpeg

If I had this option available before firmware update I don't think I would have needed to replace the VCFRONT.

Anyway, still sharing progress hoping someone have it in their heart to help sorting out this issue..

Attachments

• 1672319642792.jpeg
    1672319642792.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: DiyEvRepair
Don’t close contractors manually. That can cause them to melt and weld. The car always precharges the HV circuit (there are a lot of capacitors everywhere) in order to have both sides of the contactors to have the same voltage before closing them.

so after replacing vc front, pyro, srs, and v16 on 22 my, whats the process to get everything? I was able to sucessfully bring two cars alive, but now I have two that I cant bring back to life.
It seems like the gateway is not being updated during the process of deploy/update firmware, and the only way is to manually flash all the HV bus modules.

thereafter all next firmware updates will work and the system will will work again.

So far the only people that I know who can do that are Tesla SC.

There might be other people with such access but I can't seem to find anyone around here.

P.S.: Special thanks to @Nintendo80 for the help.

Reactions: Nintendo80
It seems like the gateway is not being updated during the process of deploy/update firmware, and the only way is to manually flash all the HV bus modules.

thereafter all next firmware updates will work and the system will will work again.

So far the only people that I know who can do that are Tesla SC.

There might be other people with such access but I can't seem to find anyone around here.

P.S.: Special thanks to @Nintendo80 for the help.
Yes thanks Nintendo. I did want to ask, whats the process after all those parts are replaced with new oem ones? Do I just do a can redeploy?

Yes if u have a later software u may don’t need to replace anything u may just need to hit the clear post crash load shed… however if the car has an old software from the beginning, meaning first time u turn the car on, highly are the chances that u have Mohammed case or my case where the only option is the one described by Mohammed.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair