Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MCU2 2020 M3P and as it’s coming up to 3 years old I’m interested in unlocking the UNECE restrictions on the car, since the likelihood of me realising any benefit from having purchased FSD any time soon is negligible. I’m sick of Summon and everything else being so crippled.

As I understand it most if not all of the restrictions are controlled by a flag - “ece_vehicle”, which on European cars is set to true.

I’m waiting to get a configuration output from a car that is doing advanced ADAS testing in the UK, that has this flag disabled (and possibly others).

Would I be right in assuming to change this flag I’d need to root the car? Does this have to be done with the car physically there, i.e. do I need to try and find someone in the UK that can do it?

Lastly, is it likely I would lose the remaining year of my warranty doing this?
noob question but what is the relevance of 3 years with these restrictions? Are these the restrictions that prevent FSD in UK or something?

Also, does this flag also apply to the supercharging capabilities? Is it possible to root the car and get supercharging back? If so, who are the ppl doing this in the UK. I have a M3P 2020 MCU2. Curious how risky this is…or whether I should just accept I’ll never have SC access again.

Yeah, there are regulations that cars in Europe have to adhere to in terms of autonomous driving. The entity responsible for them is called UNECE.

Broadly speaking there are a number of restrictions that ultimately cripple Tesla’s autonomous features, e.g. limiting autosteer angle & speed, restricting Summon to only work in Bluetooth range at a max of a couple of metres, lane changes have to be completed in a small window of seconds or aborted, etc. Ultimately this all means the car behaves very differently to how it does in the States.

The relevance of me mentioning 3 years is that when I bought my car and paid for FSD I was not aware of how crippling these restrictions are, and how long it takes for them to change. If anything the autonomous features have gotten more restrictive or limited in those 3 years, not the other way around.

My limited understanding from research and speaking to others is that these restrictions are essentially implemented in a gateway config variable - “ece_vehicle”. Change that to “false” and the car becomes unencumbered, so I’m told.

I’m sure it’s not as simple as just that one flag, but that’s what I’m looking to explore, otherwise I’ll be looking at never realising anything like the benefit I expected to get buying the car, and particularly FSD.

To be clear - turning this flag off wouldn’t enable FSD beta over here, nor would it give SC access. It’s got nothing to do with that.

Is there a known process for upgrading/downgrading the Gateway on the Tesla S/X MCU1 ? or is it permanently baked at production time?

I am unable to update the following parameters if the gateway version is >2020.36 and would like to know if it's possible to change it. I can't seem to get the gateway to update up or down. I have a variety of gateway version on MCU1 boards ranging from 0.32.2 through 2021.24.28.

otherdcchargingallowed 1
fastcharge 1
otherfastchargeallowed 1

Note: I am specifically referring to the Gateway firmware which is not on the tegra board, it lives on the main MCU board.

Reactions: Synthax
Is there a known process for upgrading/downgrading the Gateway on the Tesla S/X MCU1 ? or is it permanently baked at production time?

I am unable to update the following parameters if the gateway version is >2020.36 and would like to know if it's possible to change it. I can't seem to get the gateway to update up or down. I have a variety of gateway version on MCU1 boards ranging from 0.32.2 through 2021.24.28.

otherdcchargingallowed 1
fastcharge 1
otherfastchargeallowed 1

Note: I am specifically referring to the Gateway firmware which is not on the tegra board, it lives on the main MCU board.
Contact @LayZ, he’s the expert here.

I have a 2018 Model 3 salvaged Title that is of course not allowed to use Tesla's charging network. I was told CCS fast charging is fine, and indeed it is in my testing and from what I see reported by others. BUT, I'm seeing posts and articles from 2020 talking about Tesla also disallowing fast charging PERIOD on any charging network. Meaning, they have charge rates limited in the cars themselves such that when it goes to a fast charge capable stall it charges at basically high level 2 rates if at all.

Again, this hasn't been my experience but I feel like this is a thing they could do whenever they wanted and claim it's for safety reasons. If that is really their concern then why the hell are they letting people use the car at all? If the battery is potentially unsafe who are they to judge (via software) that the car isn't safe enough to risk fast charging but is safe enough to risk charging at home and be trusted to ferry around people?

It doesn't make sense to me at all and as much as I love having an EV, I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable with the fact Tesla has a stick up its ass about salvaged cars and gives the consume zero recourse to resolve this with a HV and battery certification process that re-enables fast charging. I would be happy to pay them to inspect my car and sign whatever they wanted me to sign to appease their legal team. They have an HV inspection program that re-certifies used and salvaged cars for their original HV and battery warranties - why can't this extend to include fast charging on their network?

What are the chances they will indeed disable fast charging on CCS enabled cars as they continue to roll out CCS in the USA and open up their charge network to other brand of EVs?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
What are the chances they will indeed disable fast charging on CCS enabled cars as they continue to roll out CCS in the USA and open up their charge network to other brand of EVs?
I don't think anyone here knows Tesla's plans for CCS on salvage vehicles. I think the concern is not the car but the Supercharger station. Should your damaged car catch fire while fast charging, I suspect Tesla is concerned about it taking out the Supercharger and possibly other Tesla cars charging nearby. Since they do not own CCS stations, they leave that liability to those vendors to choose how they handle salvage vehicles. Note, I'm not saying salvage cars are going to catch fire, but I can see that under significant crash conditions or battery flooding, the battery pack could be damaged in a way that fast charging increases the risks. As to how much risk, I think it is quite low, but not zero. There are a lot of sensors to prevent charging a pack that has internal problems.

I have a 2017 Model X that has salvage rebuild title. Has MCU1 with v11.0 software. SC got disabled last week.
Can anyone help me with rooting?
Even DC fast charging is good for me.
CCS adapter support is not installed.
You can follow the tutorials to install the CCS ECU. LayZ in this forum most likely will be able to help you with the software part. So read carefully the tutorial, understand it, contact LayZ, and once everything is ok, but the parts. I think you’ll succeed.

Reactions: Jstar97
Hey all. I need help downgrading a firmware. It is a Model S with AP2.0. It needs to be downgraded because while the rest of the car was on 2018.48(v9), dead emmc CID is revived as 2020.20(v10.2)

Because of the difference the rest of the car doesn't update. They stage but APE ends up with a different signature so update fails. So I damaged the signature of the firmware currently running (so it could stage a lower version) but this time CID verifies the signature but still says it is a lower version so it doesn't mount hence does not stage. Does anyone know a workaround this?

What I get in the syslog for the culprit is this;

cid-updater:13459: verifysig elapsed=554 status=success key=prod chunked=true
cid-updater:13475: verifysig status=valid key=prod
cid-updater:36673: signature status=verified elapsed=554
cid-updater:13568: verifyversion status=error reason=offline_version_too_small offline=7 online=8
cid-updater:10179: mount_offline_package status=error reason=ratchet
cid-updater:36684: staging status=mounterror
cid-updater:16638: terminate_update from=verify_offline_and_stage at_line=36733

Appreciate it.
Have you solved it? Can you tell me how it ends? Thank you very much!

You can follow the tutorials to install the CCS ECU. LayZ in this forum most likely will be able to help you with the software part. So read carefully the tutorial, understand it, contact LayZ, and once everything is ok, but the parts. I think you’ll succeed.
This. Do this. Only consider rooting when you understand the risks and are willing to live with them. CCS fast charging for most folks most of the time is fine.

That said, it would be really nice to have access to Tesla SC network for convenience if you’re a traveler.

There’s places in my area I can’t go in my salvaged Tesla because there’s insufficient CCS charging options relative to Tesla SC.

It has bothered in principle way more than in practice and as yet I don’t think it’s worth rooting.

I'm chatting in the FB Salvaged owners thread and one dude just mentioned he was able to get formal Tesla support for SC (and still has it apparently) and I'm hoping he can offer more detail than that along with documentation.

Is this a fluke from the past when Tesla was briefly doing this (for a fee) or is this merely a chance of a dude getting lucky?

I'm chatting in the FB Salvaged owners thread and one dude just mentioned he was able to get formal Tesla support for SC (and still has it apparently) and I'm hoping he can offer more detail than that along with documentation.

Is this a fluke from the past when Tesla was briefly doing this (for a fee) or is this merely a chance of a dude getting lucky?
i'll believe it when i see it lol
could be trolling or someone at Tesla risking their job to enable it for him...

Reactions: Jstar97 and M0rpH3x
This. Do this. Only consider rooting when you understand the risks and are willing to live with them. CCS fast charging for most folks most of the time is fine.

That said, it would be really nice to have access to Tesla SC network for convenience if you’re a traveler.

There’s places in my area I can’t go in my salvaged Tesla because there’s insufficient CCS charging options relative to Tesla SC.

It has bothered in principle way more than in practice and as yet I don’t think it’s worth rooting.
I thought I need to root it even to get CCS Adapter support enabled..
I really dont need SC. CCS is good enough for me.
Also, any links on how to CCS retrofit on 2017 model X

Reactions: brainhouston

Can anyone list all the potential problems with rooting a model X Tesla.

I thought I need to root it even to get CCS Adapter support enabled..
I really dont need SC. CCS is good enough for me.
Also, any links on how to CCS retrofit on 2017 model X
if only search was working... 😂
Can anyone list all the potential problems with rooting a model X Tesla.
there's none :)

Reactions: Jstar97
if only search was working... 😂

there's none :)
Ha! Not quite. Perhaps a better question is “what risks are there with rooting a Tesla?”

There are risks but not many probs (if any) that I’m aware once rooted. That’s said, I’m not yet willing to take the dive because once rooted OTA updates don’t come from Tesla from what I’m told. Maybe it depends upon the method of root. Not comfortable with that yet.

Reactions: kanchi647
Well i don't even think there are risks unless u don't trust the person doing the root...
It also depends what ur after, i know a member on here that got MCU2 Model S CCS enabled n still got updates
I chose to get ccs/sc/diagnostic menu n locked tesla out so no updates but it doesn't bother me since i have AP1 car n updates aren't that frequent anyways
If the car does everything i want/need now, i don't need Tesla to mess with it lol
App still works like normal.

Reactions: kanchi647
The problem of rooting exists if you don’t trust the guy doing it or if you misconfigure the car really bad (this is a connected car after all…). OTA updates are not disrupted, unless you choose to. OTA updates CAN break your root (that’s why rooted cars are usually left with outdated firmwares). If you want a one-time modification, you might not need root at all, just find the right guy that can do it.

Also, rooting might be convenient if Tesla decides to revert your configuration (and disable you new, shiny CCS support), but I haven’t seen a single case of that happening.

If I'm missing anything from a crash damaged MS, what's the best way to make sure a part I buy is compatible? Some of the damaged components obviously have part numbers, but others are entirely missing, lost in the crash and didn't make it to the salvage yard. In some cases, I know I'm missing something but don't know what it is. I've got a lot of the front end structure rebuilt, and cooling system mounted back to the car, and I'm now looking at the radiator support as a whole and wading through the parts catalog and parts listing to try to narrow down what I need. Anyone else gone through the same with your salvage and can help me out? At least with my first salvage build the manufacturer used "trim packages" but with every option being configurable on Teslas, it's hard to tell what I can and can't throw on it without swapping or modifying harnesses, what modules and harness variants are compatible, etc.