Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody, I am new in this community, I recent bought a salvage 2012 Model S P85 from California and registered it in Romania.
I got the sim module changed. Do you know if I will be able to use the Tesla app on this car? I send an email with the docs but no reply yet. I sent the email at [email protected] on 25.03.2019 but no reply or news from them yet.
Thanks

Highly unlikely, but perhaps you will get lucky.

Hello everybody, I am new in this community, I recent bought a salvage 2012 Model S P85 from California and registered it in Romania.
I got the sim module changed. Do you know if I will be able to use the Tesla app on this car? I send an email with the docs but no reply yet. I sent the email at [email protected] on 25.03.2019 but no reply or news from them yet.
Thanks
An answer from Tesla may take up to 2 weeks. There are a lot of salvaged Teslas here in Ukraine and almost all of them got an app access.
But if Tesla got information that the car is salvaged you don't receive firmware updates (but I helped my friend to persuade Tesla updates the car to V9 for safety and security reasons as an exception).

To make the procedure smooth you have to send email in a standard form to let the mailbot sort it a right way.
Subject: Transfer Vehicle Ownership for VIN: 5YJSA1E24HFxxxxxx
Body:
Hello!

I would like to transfer the following vehicle to my Tesla account:

- VIN: 5YJSA1E24HFxxxxxx

- Email address: [email protected]

- Home or mailing address: your address

- Phone Number: +yourphone

Please find attached copies of drive license, passport and registration certificate.

Thank you for the help!

I sent such email to another global address: [email protected]. It took 5 business days to get reply.

Your vehicle is registered in USA market and EU marked is gray for it. So EU support can ignore it. But when the transfer is completed you get the email with congrats and information that you can contact to [email protected]. for all furher questions.
Wish you a good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: laurynas
Are there still any problems to root Model S with firmware 2019.8.3? Now I'm on 2018.50.6 but have received an update notification. I will get a new key FOB next week and local guys have to tether it. As I understand they need root for it.
As @appleguru told there are some difficulties with rooting:

and also @robby said:

Is it still valid or difficulties are solved?
If I just postpone the update for 1 or 2 weeks (ignore the notification) would it be a problem to receive updates in the future?

Unfortunately, not much has changed. 2019.x remains a more difficult and invasive root target if you need persistence.

There's no harm in not installing a staged update -- it doesn't blacklist you or anything like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Radon
It's me again.

My another friend with Tesla MS 85 2013 got a surpruse yesterday. His car is charged to 60% and wouldn't like to charge.
When he's inserting a cable it blinks green for few seconds and switches to steady green. The message on the screen is about Charging complete.
He tried few different mobile connectors, played with Amps and a charge level.
And he's just tried to use chademo with the same result.
Reboot and switch off doesn't solve the situation.

Any ideas?

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster in this thread.

I have a 2013 P85+ with all kinds of problems. It wasn't in an accident it just happened some day all of a sudden. It is a Euro car. Main errors being;
- Regenerative braking disabled
- Stability Control Disabled
- Traction Control Disabled

When driving the car sometimes the steering wheel becomes heavy like the car was off, it also really has regen disabled so it is dangerous to drive like this. So I want to solve it. Here's what I have done so far;

1) Got the car in diagnostics mode and checked the errors. Here they are; (I wish I could decipher these meanings to a specific part)

2) Checked the front wheel speed sensors. It had oil/grease on them so I cleaned the sensors + behind the brake discs where sensors reside. Not solved.
3) Changed the ESC cluster underneath the center console with a working one. Did service-redeploy, didn't work.
4) Disconnected 12V battery and checked the fuses, mainly the ABS motor fuse and power steering fuse. Which are a pain in the ass because not only is it on top of the 12V battery fuse location. (tears and blood to reach) Those fuses are even under the 6 center fuses so to reach the second level of fuses you remove one side's wires for all 6 fuses on the centre. Checked those and they were fine.

After putting the car back together the car got worse now because it won't start! I have the 'Car needs service' & 'pull over safely' errors. Car starts, so it isn't in off state but gear doesn't shift from P to anything else. However tow mode can be enabled. I thought it was a dying 12V battery so I charged the 12V battery for a while and it didn't work. Rechecked the HV loop thinking I might have not connected it properly but it was proper.

So the car is at even a worse state than I started it. Any suggestion is more than welcomed. My only remaining option was to check the rear wheel speed sensors but that is an agony in and on its own. However I'm not even at that point anymore because I have to start the car again first. So, please help.

I don’t know anything about salvage cars, but I have read several posts about multiple errors suddenly arising being caused by a corroded or broken ground post in the frunk. Remove the liner and look to see if there is a corroded or broken ground post. Shouldn’t take much effort to check.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster in this thread.

I have a 2013 P85+ with all kinds of problems. It wasn't in an accident it just happened some day all of a sudden. It is a Euro car. Main errors being;
- Regenerative braking disabled
- Stability Control Disabled
- Traction Control Disabled

When driving the car sometimes the steering wheel becomes heavy like the car was off, it also really has regen disabled so it is dangerous to drive like this. So I want to solve it. Here's what I have done so far;

1) Got the car in diagnostics mode and checked the errors. Here they are; (I wish I could decipher these meanings to a specific part)

2) Checked the front wheel speed sensors. It had oil/grease on them so I cleaned the sensors + behind the brake discs where sensors reside. Not solved.
3) Changed the ESC cluster underneath the center console with a working one. Did service-redeploy, didn't work.
4) Disconnected 12V battery and checked the fuses, mainly the ABS motor fuse and power steering fuse. Which are a pain in the ass because not only is it on top of the 12V battery fuse location. (tears and blood to reach) Those fuses are even under the 6 center fuses so to reach the second level of fuses you remove one side's wires for all 6 fuses on the centre. Checked those and they were fine.

After putting the car back together the car got worse now because it won't start! I have the 'Car needs service' & 'pull over safely' errors. Car starts, so it isn't in off state but gear doesn't shift from P to anything else. However tow mode can be enabled. I thought it was a dying 12V battery so I charged the 12V battery for a while and it didn't work. Rechecked the HV loop thinking I might have not connected it properly but it was proper.

So the car is at even a worse state than I started it. Any suggestion is more than welcomed. My only remaining option was to check the rear wheel speed sensors but that is an agony in and on its own. However I'm not even at that point anymore because I have to start the car again first. So, please help.

My new S showed some of these errors and would not start. After 10 days at Tesla, they found a loose connection in steering column. Here is what invoice said:

Alerts include Car needs service/steering assist reduced.
Upon inspection, verified customer's concern. Found the steering reduced alert
to be present. Removed the steering column control module and found a loose
connection. Re-secured connection, updated firmware and road tested, verified
the vehicle's steering is now working as designed with no more alerts present
at this time.
Correction: Upper Column, Steering Wheel, and
Steering Lock General Diagnosis

Not FUD here. FACT. Releasing anything in an open forum is bad for everyone, as Tesla will take action to close whatever methods you publish. Any supposed "gift" you hope to open source will simply be short lived. Go ahead and release as much as you can find, a cold winter is coming for everyone. I shouldn't have to even say this stuff, anyone who has been working on these cars for long knows exactly how it works.

If you are truly the "Robin Hood" you purport to be, Go start sharing your time and post here and actually help people. I'm 1400 posts ahead of you, all for free.

i dont agree with you, open source and sharing benefits the community, always. People who are secretive about it have another reason to be so.
I dont see any issue if someone posts how to gain access to the car if it involves physical access.

you say you can access remotely any car, if so and you discovered a vulnerability to remotely gain access to the car and root...well i would say that is even more negligent if not reported to tesla, then posting a "how-to" which require physical access.
If there is no remote vulnerability to be exploited, no issues with that, and good for you that you can help other people in behalf of compensation.

I admire people like rooter who shares what he knows, so that other people dont need to spend loads of time on what has been already achieved, and actually can work on new stuff.
They shouldn't be considered enemies

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: StefanSarzio
Thanks Gesteur. There are several of us who feel this way, but we are not so free to communicate.

And then there are the commercial interests. "It is very hard to make a man understand something when his paycheck depends on him not understanding." From what I've gathered wk057 and especially Ingineer are difficult people, and I do not envy their customers who fear and are beholden to them.

The moderators here are on me now so I've stopped contributing. As you may have noticed this is not a place for technical info. Info sharing has collapsed, for good reason and nothing to do with Tesla.

Last edited:
Thanks Gesteur. There are several of us who feel this way, but we are not so free to communicate.

And then there are the commercial interests. "It is very hard to make a man understand something when his paycheck depends on him not understanding." From what I've gathered wk057 and especially Ingineer are difficult people, and I do not envy their customers who fear and are beholden to them.

The moderators here are on me now so I've stopped contributing. As you may have noticed this is not a place for technical info. Info sharing has collapsed, for good reason and nothing to do with Tesla.

Gonna have to voice my opinion. WK has been awesome to me, especially when my car was an immobile paperweight. Hard to get ahold of these days because hes busy building his business, but no one can fault anyone for trying to earn a living. He and Ingineer provide a service to people when those who could are either unwilling or unable. Same reason you might hire any professional, could you learn? Sure. Do you have the time? Maybe.

Taking control of my car is near the bottom of my list, being on WK's support network has given me a piece of mind somewhere between figuring this *sugar* out on my own, and letting Tesla rake me over the coals.

Also I want to get behind you on this whole moderators suppressing information thing... but your link to diyelectriccar and your signature are still up, and you're not banned. If you posted the entire thing from the other forum, I'd be hard pressed to think you'd be banned for it or have it deleted. This thread and the PMs between members who know-how are proof the mods aren't as in cahoots as you may think. But if they are, you can believe I'll be right behind you on calling BS.

Tesla just disabled my car from supercharging so I'm now 300miles from home and have to spend all day at the RV park. At the SC I was told to unplug and plug the car back in and that supercharging was not enabled for my car. I called roadside because I figured it was just a strange anomaly or that v9 had goofed up the software. After running my vin they said that the car is salvage and there was nothing they could do.

Not sure how they found my car since I had been charging just fine for over a year and a half now. I figured they would push a warning to my screen to let me know but there was no info telling me that I had been black listed. So far my 3g is fine (or the place that did the repairs changed to a different sim).

Hopefully they wont be coming for more cars.