Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does enybody have the detail information,
about the procedures over CAN-Messages,
to switch on/off the contactors inside the 85 kWh battery pack of the TESLA Model S.

The reason is:

I founded a "technical group" in the Swiss Tesla Owners Club (STOC).
We read out the BMS Data with "ScanMyTESLA" by 90 Model S/X from members.
I have also organized a Salvaged Model S 2014, so we can practice on further things.
My concern was, that the battery is deeply discharged, after two years without charging.
A regular charge was not startable!

The MCU is black, but the IC is O.K. but it gives out some service warnings.

With ScanMyTESLA the BMS reading is not possible, it hangs! on waiting to read out a CAN massage,
what is not implemented in that old TESLA firmware.
I could found the confirmation, in the source code of ScanMyTESLA.

I wrote my own Arduino-based SW with ESP8266 and MCP2515 PCB.
And now I could read out the BMS.

All 96 cells are alive!!! only 5mV difference!
Odometer only 35243 km. And NominalFullPack: 76.0 kWh

But I should be able to charge them as soon as possible.

Me intention is to disconnect all HV-Load,
then switch on the contactors inside the 85 kWh battery pack.
After that, connect the charger and start it with CAN-Messages.

Thank you for reading this far.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards from Switzerland
Kendo

Reactions: SimoRAV
If anyone sees an 2013 P85 salvage for P10456, ping me, I totaled it in Jan2018. Rear end median at 80mph broke passenger wheel off, welds across trunk, rear end shifted about 2CM. Supposedly needs new frame but I think can cut back end and reassemble. Hope she’s been parted out well

I really need help people. A Model S P100D bluetooth needed service so I had to get it a new motherboard for its MCU. Donor was an S75 of same year. Plan was simple, put new motherboard in, reflash original gateway config and redeploy. Car is running 2019.4 so I could’t enable diag port eith Factory Mode. So I got gateway config by ssh’ing into the IC. After putting in the new motherboard when car turned on for the first time t thought it was a 75 with an older VIN. Funny.

Yet I still can’t open the diagnostics port to send back the original gateway config file. Not only that, screen turned on for a few minutes then it went full black. Both CID and IC. CID isn’t able to reset, hard reset or even from IC port it can’t be pinged. Now when it turns on it knows it is a P100D but VIN says #NOVINAASIGNED when pressing T logo. Screens don’t even stay on so I can investigate. After replugging in the MCU they turn on for a few seconds and then gone.

What could be the problem here?

Car blew Pyrotechnic fuse when it had its accident, I've repaired everything and I've removed the blown Pyro so i could identify it.
Replacement fuse is on its way, once I fit the replacement is there anything I need to do or does the car automatically recognise that the fuse has been replaced ? thanks in advance

Not only that, screen turned on for a few minutes then it went full black. Both CID and IC. CID isn’t able to reset, hard reset or even from IC port it can’t be pinged. Now when it turns on it knows it is a P100D but VIN says #NOVINAASIGNED when pressing T logo. Screens don’t even stay on so I can investigate. After replugging in the MCU they turn on for a few seconds and then gone.
What could be the problem here?

Is the 12V battery full enough? It drains pretty fast if you are tinkering with IC/CID on and the contactors open so no dcdc feed. IC/CID will auto shutdown at about 12.1V already.

Yesterday, I had my first experience in ordering a NEW part from the local SC. I had part number in hand, so gave them a call which was promptly answered. I gave the parts clerk my part number, then got a request for the VIN of the car.

OK, I'm thinking, this is needed to verify the part is the correct one for the model and year, with all of the chaotic running changes Tesla makes. Then I get asked for my name. I give it, then get told my name is not on record as owner of the vehicle and that I couldn't get the part??!!?

This would seem like not being a huge deal, but a newly acquired salvage car has to have its VIN inspected, here, before a title can be changed. So, rather than being able to buy the last component I need to be able to DRIVE the car to DMV, now I have to reassemble the car, winch it onto a car trailer, and haul it to DMV, or buy a high-mileage used component for $500, then throw it away after the title issues and I register it in my name with Tesla.

Another example of total amateur hour paranoid parts policy, let alone the idiocy of Tesla voiding the warranty on totaled PREMIUM car (primarily because of completely inept design-to-repair) -> battery, electronics, cooling system, and drive units, for a "dent" in the quarter panel of an almost new car.

I wish Tesla would f*&king grow up and start acting like a car company instead of building an iPhone with wheels on it. What's next - you won't be able to change the battery out? I'm not kidding here. Don't forget, the battery pack in a Tesla was designed for being swapped out...

Yesterday, I had my first experience in ordering a NEW part from the local SC. I had part number in hand, so gave them a call which was promptly answered. I gave the parts clerk my part number, then got a request for the VIN of the car.

OK, I'm thinking, this is needed to verify the part is the correct one for the model and year, with all of the chaotic running changes Tesla makes. Then I get asked for my name. I give it, then get told my name is not on record as owner of the vehicle and that I couldn't get the part??!!?

This would seem like not being a huge deal, but a newly acquired salvage car has to have its VIN inspected, here, before a title can be changed. So, rather than being able to buy the last component I need to be able to DRIVE the car to DMV, now I have to reassemble the car, winch it onto a car trailer, and haul it to DMV, or buy a high-mileage used component for $500, then throw it away after the title issues and I register it in my name with Tesla.

Another example of total amateur hour paranoid parts policy, let alone the idiocy of Tesla voiding the warranty on totaled PREMIUM car (primarily because of completely inept design-to-repair) -> battery, electronics, cooling system, and drive units, for a "dent" in the quarter panel of an almost new car.

I wish Tesla would f*&king grow up and start acting like a car company instead of building an iPhone with wheels on it. What's next - you won't be able to change the battery out? I'm not kidding here. Don't forget, the battery pack in a Tesla was designed for being swapped out...

What part. Also you can swap the battery out, its been done alot (i know you're being psuedo sarcastic)

Has anyone been able to order parts from their local SC? I brought in a list of parts a week ago to repair damaged front end to my M3 and asked for a parts quote, been calling and stopping back almost every day but no response so far. Frustrating to say the least that they can't even indicate which parts are restricted and provide a price on available parts...

I have a rebuilt 2018 Model 3. Other than replacing body panels, I replaced a few electronic components such as RH mirror assembly, fog lights, a few parking sensors, rear tail and trunk lights, pyrofuse, and a new restraint control module (RCM).

When I got the car it was running version 2018.42.3. I always had an error that read “software upgrade required”.

A couple weeks with the car on the road I got a notification to update the software. The new version was 2018.48.12. When the update finished it said it failed, and I still have an error that reads “software upgrade required”. At this point everything seems to work correctly though including autopilot (One issue the car has always had is the interior dome lights do not stay on continuously. They keep turning on and off when turned “on”).

At some point while on 2018.48.12 the back up camera completely stopped working. Reboots do not fix it anymore.

About 8 weeks after the last update I update it again, this time it updated to 2019.16.2. And as before I have the “software upgrade required error”. After this update, autopilot does not work, neither does TACC. In settings, I’m not able to turn Navigate on Autopilot to “ON” as it is grayed out. It usually says you need to be connected to WiFi to update maps. Additional camera calibrating is also stuck at 0%. I am connected to home WiFi very often but have not gotten the new map update, as you can see in the attached image the Navigation Data is from 2018.

The dashcam records, and sentry mode does seem to work.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what might be going on?

Attachments

• B2BEEAD2-0542-4B34-A82A-3DA53BAD353E.jpeg
    B2BEEAD2-0542-4B34-A82A-3DA53BAD353E.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 125
  • A1D86DCD-CA11-4866-B5B6-3510A1D2A8CB.jpeg
    A1D86DCD-CA11-4866-B5B6-3510A1D2A8CB.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 95
  • 3B99DB81-6ED3-4C13-B5A5-0CF3F81E3545.jpeg
    3B99DB81-6ED3-4C13-B5A5-0CF3F81E3545.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 084B86EC-6539-4F0F-A658-F4F47E3474C7.png
    084B86EC-6539-4F0F-A658-F4F47E3474C7.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
I have tried to have Tesla help me when I got the car initially. When I would schedule an apt, they would hand it off to mobile service. Mobile service called me and said you need to get the HV and body shop inspection done before we help you.

I also visited a Tesla approved body shop, they programmed the brand new RCM for me. Grateful that they didn’t give me a hard time and turn down the car because it was salvaged. However, the tech was not able to help me with the remainder of issues. It may be a combination of inexperience and limited Toolbox access.

Hi I have a salvaged 2014 S85 pretty basic only 29000 miles drives like new have had a really good experience with the local SC the only SC in Scotland, parts suppled with a few day's from Europe did all the recall work but only after the £560 HV safety check, replaced faulty sensor cleared seat belt warning then offered the new CCS upgrade as compensation for no Supercharging, doing the physical retro fit as the older models need some additional wiring not sure what and supply of CCS adapter only £460, just a little over the air update required.

This is when it all goes wrong Tesla shut the door, No DC charging!

So do I suck it up or go for breach of contract etc, they have offered refund of the £460.

No other Manufacture seems to be so uptight.
8 years a Nissan LEAF driver and Tesla fan boy, blew all my savings on the big leap to the big game just to have legs kicked from under.

Thank you LuckyLuke for the coming back, would love to do as you suggest but my back ground is electrical/mechanical on HV Distribution networks which had little use for software, so other than operating a laptop I am a software inept.

New to the forum but from what I read there are people out there well versed in the ways of software.

Did reach out to Ingineer but no response so far, reading post's he seams to be a busy man.

Thanks LuckyLuke will attempt to educate myself on "root" and "gateway config" cheers.