Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, turns out almost all error messages were due to loose connectors (I had fully depressed the red pushpins on the connectors).

This error message is persisting though. All of the other site-specific codes (like front passenger, right rear passenger etc.) resolved.

Salvage group: Is this compatible with an SRS control module issue? Ie., a hard code being stored in the module that wasn’t cleared?

B64B774C-5A67-44D6-9D9A-88312D4E2261.jpeg

have you watched any of Jack Rickard's videos? He found some issues with replacing the airbag mods. His videos are not well headlined, so a title might suggest one thing but wander into another. First thing, unless you have acres of free time dial-up the playback. check youtube first

his efforts might have been on an S though

So DIYElectricCar is unable to address the Cloudflare bug which prevents me from finishing my rooting article.

I've thought over the options and may well set up a wiki of my own. Catch is I need, some day, to figure out how to set up a wiki, and I am completely booked.
I'd thought about hosting my own MediaWiki but I might be dead in a week.

Wikiversity is the place for my articles.

So what's the status of rooting for MCU1 right now? What is doable and what is not? As far as I understood, any firmware beyond 2019.4 seems extremely complicated to root. I need root for a US --> EU conversion, but in the worst case I think I can get away by replacing the US MCU by an EU one, as @GeorgeCM did.

@rooter A fusee gelee for the MCU1 would be great. It would mean permanent rooting for every MCU1 tesla!! I wish I could lend you a hand...

You will always be able to root using my chip-removal method. But remember that there is a reaper process which reverses root access so you must set up a cron to counter that.

And if you're going to remove it, you might as well replace it with an industrial-grade eMMC.

Skillz required.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
You will always be able to root using my chip-removal method. But remember that there is a reaper process which reverses root access so you must set up a cron to counter that.

And if you're going to remove it, you might as well replace it with an industrial-grade eMMC.

Skillz required.

Thanks for the info, when you have hardware access there is always a way, right? I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

- Is there any reason why this method shouldn't work with MCU2? I guess no, but I'm guessing.

- Since now one has to be very careful to preserve root access, doesn't this make very sensible to install a removable socket for the eMMC? In case one day you wake up without root, to avoid the soldering/unsoldering process.

Thank you!

Thanks for the info, when you have hardware access there is always a way, right? I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

- Is there any reason why this method shouldn't work with MCU2? I guess no, but I'm guessing.

- Since now one has to be very careful to preserve root access, doesn't this make very sensible to install a removable socket for the eMMC? In case one day you wake up without root, to avoid the soldering/unsoldering process.

Thank you!

I don't know if it's HW2 or HW3 but one of those uses encryption now so when you read the chip offline you just get garbage.

I

Thank you!
I have HW1 and had to figure everything out for myself, so that's all I know about.

A BGA socket wouldn't fit under the Tegra heatsink. Maybe there's a way though.

From here

Advanced Interconnections | Table of Models

I understand you need ~2mm clearance, although those models might be expensive. Is it so tight?
Saw that. But if you look at their tech specs you'll find that you must solder teh chip to an adapter, which in turn plugs into one of their sockets. That adapter would not work in a BGA reader/writer.

The only one where you don't have to solder the chip itself is the flip-top. And that is gigantic, even with coin-screw.

I understand why you want to do this, but it shouldn't be necessary. Normally you would have full control of which updates get applied... unless you make a mistake with iptables like I did and get locked out with extreme prejudice by Tesla. Haven't had time to address this yet so I'm still down.

Last edited:
Saw that. But if you look at their tech specs you'll find that you must solder teh chip to an adapter, which in turn plugs into one of their sockets. That adapter would not work in a BGA reader/writer.

Definitely one would need a custom read/writer for this (which can also be done). You're right that it is a lot of hassle, but seeing the situations some people are into now, it might not be unwise to invest on this.

I understand why you want to do this, but it shouldn't be necessary. Normally you would have full control of which updates get applied... unless you make a mistake with iptables like I did and get locked out with extreme prejudice by Tesla. Haven't had time to address this yet so I'm still down.

Oh man, that's terrible. I hope you find a way out. I wish I could help you out, but I'm 99% sure I can't.

You should look into the CA DMV bonded title process — that may be your easiest path. Let us know what solution(s) you find. Good luck!

Thanks @ArizonaP85. I did end up using this, though it was clearly not something my local DMV uses very often. Also had to present Washington state documents I obtained through a public records release request. Luckily the DMV was not busy the day I came in and the supervisor was willing to put in some time to look things up. Anyway, I’m back on track.

Regarding the seat belt error codes above for myself and @3ledomjoe, all error codes resolved once loose connectors were addressed. The red push pins don’t just clip the ends of the connectors together, they also press the pins together to make solid contact.

Thanks @ArizonaP85. I did end up using this, though it was clearly not something my local DMV uses very often. Also had to present Washington state documents I obtained through a public records release request. Luckily the DMV was not busy the day I came in and the supervisor was willing to put in some time to look things up. Anyway, I’m back on track.

Regarding the seat belt error codes above for myself and @3ledomjoe, all error codes resolved once loose connectors were addressed. The red push pins don’t just clip the ends of the connectors together, they also press the pins together to make solid contact.
Glad my idea helped. I don’t live in California, but just for info to possibly help others: how much did the bonded title process cost?

My guess is every state is different but this data point could be especially useful in the state with the most Teslas.

Glad my idea helped. I don’t live in California, but just for info to possibly help others: how much did the bonded title process cost?

My guess is every state is different but this data point could be especially useful in the state with the most Teslas.

The short story is that a bonded title cost me about $200.

The longer and more complete story is that a bonded title is usually not applied to salvage vehicles with an out-of-state origin like mine. Moreover, the amount of the bond is typically based on the fair market value of the vehicle (eg Kelly Blue Book). Since KBB doesn’t keep ‘fair market values’ for salvage vehicles, I based the value of the bond I purchased on the auction’s bill of sale.

The CA DMV was reluctant to accept the bond. I had to presented screen shots of WA state’s title process (ie insurance company is required to surrender the title to the WA DMV after being declared a total loss), AND presented records of the vehicle that I had obtained through a public records release from WA. It STILL did not establish a chain of ownership however, since all the records had personally identifying information redacted. The CA DMV supervisor was patient, did some research, and ultimately decided to accept the bond.

Given an identical circumstances, I would not expect the process to go the way it did for me. Took a lot of talking, a lot of persuasion, and a lot of documents to get there.