Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to get a key card programmed for a salvage Tesla that has missing key? Does Tesla do this or are there third party shops that can do it?

Thank you!
I think you'll need Tesla to do this. If you have one valid keycard, you can just buy another card from Tesla ($35?) and program it yourself via the screen. It requires an existing valid keycard, which makes sense (for security reasons).

Try registering it with the tesla app. They can verify you as the new vehicle owner by uploading a copy of the title. After doing so they could perhaps allow you to unlock from the app?
im gonna jump in here...
when you get salvage car u usually can't register it until u fix it, so need a key first before title..
has anyone being able to get anywhere with just bill of sale n auction papers?
will tesla verify u with just a bill of sale? or will mobile service come out to a wrecked car?
on another note, what if the car is locked? can they make a key by just a VIN or they need the car "alive" to do it?

If you don't have the car registered, I believe you'll need to have the dealer who bought it on the auction transfer it to their name - Tesla only requires that they provide a signed over title from the insurance company.

In addition to that, you need to have physical access to the car and it needs to be unlocked - this is in order to edit the car name, which Tesla uses to verify that you have access to the car.

If you don't have the car registered, I believe you'll need to have the dealer who bought it on the auction transfer it to their name - Tesla only requires that they provide a signed over title from the insurance company.

In addition to that, you need to have physical access to the car and it needs to be unlocked - this is in order to edit the car name, which Tesla uses to verify that you have access to the car.
Thank you, i guess that will work for some cars, cause for example in WA, title gets destroyed and all that dealer gets is BOS and generally dealer never register cars in their name and just write their own BOS

So you can edit cars name without key? what else is available in the car without a key?

Overall sounds like buying without the key is not a good option...

Hi Everyone,

I need help from the group please, I have a legal case that may help all of us with our Salvage vehicles so if you could support me as best you can we might all have a less limited vehicle at the end of the day, a vehicle that you could actually take on a road trip without having to have root access.

I can't go into greater detail on a public forum but I'm challenging Tesla in court on a few points due to the mishandling of a vehicle and one of the many points is how they treat us and how they are now limiting or DC fast charging which they legally have no right to do.

I'm looking for the following if you can help in any way possible that would be great.

I'm building a team of experts to review a vehicle and its battery pack, the more the merrier.

I need an expert on the Tesla Model S and its HV system, either previous Tesla technician or general experts with credible expertise that would stand up in court.

I'm looking for any communications people have had with Tesla and how you've been unfairly treated.

Can anyone send me the old HV safety inspection/recertification form which they would reinstate the vehicles Super charging ability.

This vehicle is in Europe so experts in that region would be my first choice but my lawyer has advised that all costs will be covered if we cannot get an expert within Europe.

Please PM me or leave a comment, thanks for your time.

Hi @TLSA-1221 I’ll be moving to Europe soon with my Tesla. We can keep in touch. I was planning to bring the DC charging issue up to the EU consumers right association, but I couldn’t do that until I moved (I tried, though…).

The chances of succeeding are much higher in the EU, but that doesn’t mean that Tesla will honor the agreement reached in the US. In any case, we should talk more once I’m there.

I’m not an expert in Tesla batteries (the honor goes to @wk057 I guess), and I don’t have a recertification form, but I have the LATEST docs where Tesla says that they will disable SC and/or DC charging on any vehicle. I downloaded them this morning. Maybe you’ll find those docs useful???

I haven't heard about "no LTE"...
Do u have a ref where it says that?
1652972113641.png

Hi Everyone,

I need help from the group please, I have a legal case that may help all of us with our Salvage vehicles so if you could support me as best you can we might all have a less limited vehicle at the end of the day, a vehicle that you could actually take on a road trip without having to have root access.

I can't go into greater detail on a public forum but I'm challenging Tesla in court on a few points due to the mishandling of a vehicle and one of the many points is how they treat us and how they are now limiting or DC fast charging which they legally have no right to do.

I'm looking for the following if you can help in any way possible that would be great.
I'm building a team of experts to review a vehicle and its battery pack, the more the merrier.
I need an expert on the Tesla Model S and its HV system, either previous Tesla technician or general experts with credible expertise that would stand up in court.
I'm looking for any communications people have had with Tesla and how you've been unfairly treated.
Can anyone send me the old HV safety inspection/recertification form which they would reinstate the vehicles Super charging ability.
This vehicle is in Europe so experts in that region would be my first choice but my lawyer has advised that all costs will be covered if we cannot get an expert within Europe.
Please PM me or leave a comment, thanks for your time.
Contact wk057 - he is the subject matter expert here. ;)