Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pyro is only supposed to blow during a collision.

Nope. I did it multiple times while fixing the car.
Just reconnect fireman's loop first after or you'll get bunch of errors
It worked great. The car took a few minutes to completely power off after unplugging the fireman's loop. I then replugged it in after ten minutes and the door handles extruded out right away. I then plugged in the two large connectors on either side of the door a-pillar and then pressed the brand to start the car and move forward/backwards without issues.

Requires additional wiring from BCM which can be run through firewall+ config change from HID to LED, but the most important part is a Toolbox fw upgrade of the BCM module. Did this on mine this summer.
Oh awesome, that's not too bad. Any chance you could tell me which lines are needed for the new headlights? I've pulled up the wiring diagrams for the two, but I'm not entirely certain what I'm looking for.

Just asked my local Tesla Service Centre how much it will cost me to get my Tesla Model 3 from “unsupported” to “supported” and they have come back saying:

We can carry out a check to bring the vehicle back to being “supported”

The cost usually costs around £792

If you would like this, then simply create a booking through your Tesla app.

Has anyone gone ahead and done this?

Is the price accurate (I thought it was thousands of pounds tbh)?

Is there a risk that they could lock my vehicle up even more, or even worse cause damage to my battery?

I’ve always avoided Tesla since getting my salvage M3 back on the road through worry that they might intentionally make my life harder.

Do you see any risk with going ahead with it? I’ve always worried that due to Teslas overall stance on salvage cars that I’d hand them my car and never see it drive again!

Also, how long is the turnaround time once I drop it off to them?

At £800 I might be tempted if it means I can get back on the Supercharger network.

My other worry is what happens if it fails the HV inspection? Will they just give the car back to me as it was, or leave my car in an undrivable state?

Do you see any risk with going ahead with it? I’ve always worried that due to Teslas overall stance on salvage cars that I’d hand them my car and never see it drive again!

Also, how long is the turnaround time once I drop it off to them?

At £800 I might be tempted if it means I can get back on the Supercharger network.

My other worry is what happens if it fails the HV inspection? Will they just give the car back to me as it was, or leave my car in an undrivable state?
If it fails, they would likely hand you a quote for repairs to get it in spec, at which point you decide whether to have it fixed, fix it yourself, or just take the car and leave it as is.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Question for the group. My salvage Tesla 2016 S had a DU failed due to water damage. The insurance company took care of the DU cost but I had to have my MCU replacement/upgraded to MCU2 the Intel version by Tesla and the old unit I had rooted to prevent loss of the supercharging. My car had unlimited Super Charging, now the car can't be supercharged for free or cost. I paid Tesla to Safety inspection the car which I thought meant certificate to Supercharge. Any ideas to get my supercharging back?

Question for the group. My salvage Tesla 2016 S had a DU failed due to water damage. The insurance company took care of the DU cost but I had to have my MCU replacement/upgraded to MCU2 the Intel version by Tesla and the old unit I had rooted to prevent loss of the supercharging. My car had unlimited Super Charging, now the car can't be supercharged for free or cost. I paid Tesla to Safety inspection the car which I thought meant certificate to Supercharge. Any ideas to get my supercharging back?
if you've already paid for the safety inspection you might as well ask Tesla what you need to do to get your DCFC back. Otherwise good luck trying to find someone who knows their way around MCU2 and can root it.

Reactions: buckets0fun
The safety inspection, often thought to get supercharging back, is actually just to say it's safe enough for their people to work on, but not safe enough for superchargers. Apparently their people mean less to Tesla than their supercharger stations! There is a separate inspection that is available for the model 3 and model y, and some people have had it done for the model s, that will allow you to supercharge once again. They even leave the free unlimited supercharging in place. Don't think anybody's had it done for a model X yet. Still, you can try to schedule a service for that purpose and see what they say. I, for one, would love to know the answer you get!

The safety inspection, often thought to get supercharging back, is actually just to say it's safe enough for their people to work on, but not safe enough for superchargers. Apparently their people mean less to Tesla than their supercharger stations! There is a separate inspection that is available for the model 3 and model y, and some people have had it done for the model s, that will allow you to supercharge once again. They even leave the free unlimited supercharging in place. Don't think anybody's had it done for a model X yet. Still, you can try to schedule a service for that purpose and see what they say. I, for one, would love to know the answer you get!
I will try to schedule service and report back.