Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Same motors? SR vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you're waiting for/getting the AWD version, there's only one motor

I will be waiting for the AWD and LR version. I think those (some here believe it's the SCN and the tablet but not for me) are what set the M3 apart from other upcoming BEV sedans from the competition though I'm also open to other car makes with AWD/250 miles, even if they come in SUV format (I'm a beggar and can't be a chooser).

I don't like spinning/chirping the tires.

...I don't like spinning/chirping the tires.
My impression is that the traction control doesn't allow spinning the tires. I believe that those who have drag-raced the Model S just floor the accelerator and let the car sort out maximum traction versus acceleration.

It would be induction in the back for performance and PMC in the front for efficiency
I've never been clear about the advantages of each variety of motor, but my understanding was that the induction motor was more efficient at higher speeds and the PM motor was more efficient at lower speeds. Not true?

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit
I've never been clear about the advantages of each variety of motor, but my understanding was that the induction motor was more efficient at higher speeds and the PM motor was more efficient at lower speeds. Not true?
This is my understanding as well - hence the reason that traditionally Tesla has very good highway efficiency while other EV's excel in city driving.

My impression is that the traction control doesn't allow spinning the tires. I believe that those who have drag-raced the Model S just floor the accelerator and let the car sort out maximum traction versus acceleration.

My 11 Accord has traction/stability control and the front wheels can still spin when the ground is damp and I accelerate from a stand still, lol, and I don't even floor it. Is Tesla's traction/stability control leaps and bounds over a ten year old technology?

My 11 Accord has traction/stability control and the front wheels can still spin when the ground is damp and I accelerate from a stand still, lol, and I don't even floor it. Is Tesla's traction/stability control leaps and bounds over a ten year old technology?
I've occasionally had a very brief slip of the tires on sand, never on clean dry pavement. On snow and ice I have to turn traction control off to spin the tires, as is sometimes helpful. Otherwise the traction control will just prevent the tires from turning — no traction, no spinning. The Tesla traction control system is a reason the RWD Model S handles quite well in snow, especially with snow tires. AWD is even better, but RWD works quite well; it is certainly a LOT better than older RWD cars in snow. I used to pine for AWD until I actually started driving my RWD Model S on snow and ice. Now I am quite content with RWD and snow tires.

You might want to look at the drag racing videos for Teslas. The competing cars will heat the tires by spinning them before launch. The Tesla can just be floored without any slippage. Drag racing fans seem to consider Teslas a bit unfair because it takes no skill and anyone can do it.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit