Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung Gear S and Tesla???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been playing around with it on my galaxy watch. I noticed that after you press the 3 dots on the right of the main screen, and you spin the bezel among the various functions, the second page of functions has some blanc icons which actually have the functionality of the icons in the same spots from the first page. It's just some clean up for the developers in case they check in here.

My wife was wondering why the car horn was going off - haha.

Do you have a url? I can't seem to find it.

No idea how to get a url from the samsung store. Just go to your phone and enter the samsung store, in the search field enter "drive electric" and search. If nothing comes up, make sure you are searching the watch repository, not the phone repository. If you still can't find it, then I suspect your region doesn't have it available yet, but that would be weird.

Also, the developer seems to be watching. They fixed all the bugs I pointed out above and issued an update. Thanks!

search for Drive Electric

Since our Gear S3 watches are only WiFi, this app only works if works if we have a WiFi to internet connection. Since our smartphones already have the Tesla app - and that's how we normally get internet access for our watches, not clear how much benefit we get by using the watch app vs. the Tesla smartphone app.

Another concern is security, since the watch app would need to have access to your smartphone app to work - plus the API that's being used isn't officially supported, and as noted by the developer - could disappear at any time.

Hi, I'm the developer of the DRIVE - Electric app and I'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

I made this app on my spare time because no one else did... :) I was totally blank on developing for Tizen OS before I started and only knew about Android programming previously. It's safe to say it has been a bumpy ride but finally it starts to look like something useful. I never knew it could be this much work though... Because of limited test vehicles (and time...) I'm also dependent on feedback. Right now I have a Model 3, before that a Model S. Don't expect a completely bug free app, but I will fix as soon as I can after you tell me... :)

Please follow my facebook page for news and other useful information: DRIVE - Electric

Just want to clarify a few things from the posts above. This is a standalone app. It does not need the original Tesla app on the phone, but it needs to use the phone for internet access. If you have the Galaxy Watch LTE/4G or similar you are good to go without your mobile. And for security it only uses your user/password for the first login to retrieve the security tokens from Tesla. After login the credentials are wiped from the app and never stored anywhere.

screenshot_1_6.png

Hi,
I appreciate the effort you put into this.
Any idea why it's not showing up in searches?
Thanks

Thank you.
You need to search using your connected Samsung Wear app. Galaxy Store needs to know exactly the type of watch you are using. Currently the app doesn't support bezel-less watches like the new Galaxy Watch Active. But within a week or so v1.0.5 should be approved and those watches will be supported.
What kind of watch do you have?

Thank you.
You need to search using your connected Samsung Wear app. Galaxy Store needs to know exactly the type of watch you are using. Currently the app doesn't support bezel-less watches like the new Galaxy Watch Active. But within a week or so v1.0.5 should be approved and those watches will be supported.
What kind of watch do you have?
Love this app. You have done a great job to include so many of the TESLA functions on such a small screen.
2017 S75D with Samsung Galaxy LTE on Bell Network in Canada. Bravo to the developer.

I could not find it. Even went to a Best Buy who had a Samsung rep and he couldn't find it either in the Galaxy Store app or web site. I purchased a Galaxy watch anyway as I was planning to. Once i did i could find the app.

Makes me wonder if somehow the search is different if you have a paired watch.

Yep, you need to pair it to find the apps compatible with your watch. There's a lot of different watches out there running the Tizen OS. My app is restricted to watches running the round 360x360px screen resolution.

Just want to clarify a few things from the posts above. This is a standalone app. It does not need the original Tesla app on the phone, but it needs to use the phone for internet access. If you have the Galaxy Watch LTE/4G or similar you are good to go without your mobile. And for security it only uses your user/password for the first login to retrieve the security tokens from Tesla. After login the credentials are wiped from the app and never stored anywhere.View attachment 405168

First, on behalf of Tesla owners that have the Gear S watches, thank you for developing the software and making it available for other owners.

In the app description, it states "No user credentials are stored in this app or otherwise shared with any 3rd party". This could imply the credentials are being provided back to the developer (who would not be considered a 3rd party). Plus, even if the username/password are not stored, there is a token stored in the app that provides access to the vehicle - which is even more important than username/password, because that token bypasses username/password authentication.

It may help to provide a more complete explanation of how the username/password is being used - that the information is only used for a single time to make the connection to your vehicle by directly connecting through Tesla - and then discarded. And that the token used to access your vehicle is only stored by the app on your watch and is used only for making the connection to the vehicle and also not transferred to any other place.

First, on behalf of Tesla owners that have the Gear S watches, thank you for developing the software and making it available for other owners.

In the app description, it states "No user credentials are stored in this app or otherwise shared with any 3rd party". This could imply the credentials are being provided back to the developer (who would not be considered a 3rd party). Plus, even if the username/password are not stored, there is a token stored in the app that provides access to the vehicle - which is even more important than username/password, because that token bypasses username/password authentication.

It may help to provide a more complete explanation of how the username/password is being used - that the information is only used for a single time to make the connection to your vehicle by directly connecting through Tesla - and then discarded. And that the token used to access your vehicle is only stored by the app on your watch and is used only for making the connection to the vehicle and also not transferred to any other place.

Thanks! And I agree. I will try to explain this even better in the app description for version > 1.0.6. I appreciate the feedback.

Hi, I'm the developer of the DRIVE - Electric app and I'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

I made this app on my spare time because no one else did... :) I was totally blank on developing for Tizen OS before I started and only knew about Android programming previously. It's safe to say it has been a bumpy ride but finally it starts to look like something useful. I never knew it could be this much work though... Because of limited test vehicles (and time...) I'm also dependent on feedback. Right now I have a Model 3, before that a Model S. Don't expect a completely bug free app, but I will fix as soon as I can after you tell me... :)

Please follow my facebook page for news and other useful information: DRIVE - Electric

View attachment 405168

Found the Google Wear OS easily, but I spent a lot of time doing searches like below for the Samsung galaxy watch.
Samsung galaxy smartwatch telsa app
smartwatch tesla app
tesla app
tizen tesla
tizen tesla app

Without any luck. Even in this forum it took me 1/2 to find this. If I hadn't just bought the Galaxy Watch today (still haven't opened it) I would have given up and bought a Google Wear watch.

Why don't you rename the app with the word Tesla in it so the search engines can find it? Maybe Drive Electric Tesla or something like it.

If you are going for supporting multiple manufactures of EVs the won't find Drive Electric very easily either. You could have Drive Electric BMW or Kona or Leaf.

Just a thought. I am glad to see you gaining support. :D

Found the Google Wear OS easily, but I spent a lot of time doing searches like below for the Samsung galaxy watch.
Samsung galaxy smartwatch telsa app
smartwatch tesla app
tesla app
tizen tesla
tizen tesla app

Without any luck. Even in this forum it took me 1/2 to find this. If I hadn't just bought the Galaxy Watch today (still haven't opened it) I would have given up and bought a Google Wear watch.

Why don't you rename the app with the word Tesla in it so the search engines can find it? Maybe Drive Electric Tesla or something like it.

If you are going for supporting multiple manufactures of EVs the won't find Drive Electric very easily either. You could have Drive Electric BMW or Kona or Leaf.

Just a thought. I am glad to see you gaining support. :D

Hi, and thx for not giving up... :)
The plan was to include Tesla in the name but Samsung wouldn't allow it. They are much stricter in terms of trademark abuse and stuff like that. They won't even let me tag the app with Tesla on Galaxy Store. I was very frustrated with them but had to give in. In forums I get kicked out if I advertise (too much). I just became a vendor here at TMC so a support thread will come shortly.
My main channel for advertising is Facebook and apart from that I rely on you guys. Please talk about it in forums, share and like all you can...