Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Randy, here's a generic question for you. Let's say Tesla wanted to build a big Supercharger, 12 stalls, 1,000 kVA transformer. Let's say they found a random mid sized shopping mall - would SDG&E have that kind of power density available relatively easily, or would they have to do some downstream provisioning (as in, more than just tapping a nearby 12kV line and installing the transformer)?

Hey Randy, here's a generic question for you. Let's say Tesla wanted to build a big Supercharger, 12 stalls, 1,000 kVA transformer. Let's say they found a random mid sized shopping mall - would SDG&E have that kind of power density available relatively easily, or would they have to do some downstream provisioning (as in, more than just tapping a nearby 12kV line and installing the transformer)?

I would think a twelve stall site (six superchargers), would need to be close to a main line. Like Culver City or Hawthorne. Hawthorne used to be the old Northrop AC plant, it has a main transmission line going down Jack Northrop. I know Culver City was plugged into a pretty significant line as they needed an intermediate switch/transformer and power to several large building complexes was shutdown when they tapped into it. I think any site that large will need to be next to a heavy line. I'm not a sparky though.

The Planner looks at each situation individually...If there is a 12 kV primary connection nearby, it could be as simple as attaching a new transformer and feeding the charging stations. If there is no 12 kV connection nearby, then trenching will have to be done by the customer and that could be expensive...It might make sense to relocate the charging stations closer to where the power is. And there can be other issues, such as reconductoring, fusing, to be able to feed the new load, etc. The Superchargers take a lot of power, so it's not like connecting a few kW to the system...But our charter as a utility is to feed the customer wherever they want their equipment to be located...It's just that some locations are more economical to feed than others, and the Planner can help manage that...

Does this description sound like a Supercharger "setup" to anyone, or is it just me? I may be way off here....

Project: Tesla Evs CA 074 - #581651
for installing (16) EVC in an existing parking garage on grade with fenced in chainlink enclosures with installation of charger cabinets, switchgear assembly and transformer over new concrete pads.

It's for a permit applied for on 10/26/2017 at 1350 6th Ave San Diego, CA 92101.
sounds like it to me, I remember there was gonna be a downtown supercharger, this might be it!

On Tesla map of SC to be added is a location in Vista. While looking thru building permits issued in Vista is a permit to install ‘9 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations’.
Permit #B18-0230. It’s located at 1900 Via Ctr, off the 78 at S. Emerald and Hacienda. It was issued on 3/18/2018. Live in Bay Area, and would love to have this be a SC as my daughter and grandchildren live in Vista. Maybe someone down there can check the location and get more info.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq