Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a note via email and am passing it on:

Guys,

I know there has been some recent notes on the location for the new Supercharger to be located in San Diego. The prevailing thought is that it may be out near Qualcomm where the 805 and 5 freeways come together. I'm not too sure that it is really the location where it may be.

I was at the San Diego Chargers game [Dec 7th] and parked at Hazard Center to take the trolley to the game. When you enter the parking structure on the lower level where the event parking is, there is an area near the entrance to the parking structure that is all fenced off. I don't know why it is that way, nor what the reason for it. If you look at the first two pictures, it shows the area that is closed off. This seems somewhat similar to the Supercharger location at Atlantic Station is Atlanta.

This may be the location for the new Supercharger in San Diego. It is near the junction of Interstate 8, 15, 805, and Highway 163. There are a number of restaurants at Hazard Center along with great parking, and easy access to the trolley. It's fairly centrally located, but not directly downtown. And, it's not very far from Qualcomm Stadium. There are also 3 Blink network chargers (pictured) already in place as you go into the lower level of the parking structure. Unfortunately, the Blink chargers are laboriously slow - only 10 miles per hour (ouch). Both myself and another Tesla owner from Santa Monica were plugged in there yesterday during the game.

I do not live in San Diego (about 2 hours away), but If someone could check further and see what they can find out, it would be very interesting to know what's going on there.

Thanks,

Gregg

Hazard_Center_-_Green_Fencing.jpg
Hazard_Center_-_Possible_Site.jpg
Hazard_Center_-_Public_Charging_(Blink).jpg

Repeat after me: Correlation does not necessarily mean causation...
We caught each other's eyes, smiled, and:
a) we now have a few kids.
b) later, I had to file a restraining order.
c) it turned out she was smiling at the guy behind me.

A strong correlation can yield dramatically different results. However, searching for strong correlations is exciting, but most often is just plain frustrating.

Exciting! I live a mile or so away, so I will definitely check this out and keep you all updated! And there are large portions of Hazard center parking that are always empty, even on Charger game days. That's part of the reason Randy Jones grill is no longer (and Trophy's, before that). Also neither of them had much atmosphere, but that's another topic.

I think Kearny Mesa would have been preferable, but this isn't bad either. Hoping for something near Temecula/Murrieta in the near future. That would greatly help trips to Idyllwild!

I drove by it today, 8 spots are fenced off. It is away from regular parking lot so I don't think ice cars will be an issue as there is plenty of parking in the structure. Keeping fingers crossed that this is the location, as I am about a mile away as well.

I don't think I have permission to post images yet, but I took a pic of the fenced off area and I didn't see anything behind it. There are other fenced areas nearby with the same company on them. One area has a pile of used black pvc pipe fittings, short lengths. Honestly my opinion is that the black pipes that run along the ceiling are being replaced. Is it possible they're being removed from the area and rerouted to allow supercharger construction? Sure, but my honest opinion is that this is not the location, as much as I would like it to be.

I don't think I have permission to post images yet, but I took a pic of the fenced off area and I didn't see anything behind it. There are other fenced areas nearby with the same company on them. One area has a pile of used black pvc pipe fittings, short lengths. Honestly my opinion is that the black pipes that run along the ceiling are being replaced. Is it possible they're being removed from the area and rerouted to allow supercharger construction? Sure, but my honest opinion is that this is not the location, as much as I would like it to be.

We appreciate your honest opinion.

Thanks