Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanding the vegan leather wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife (soon to be walking wife 🤪) gouged the steering wheel due to wearing a ring on her left hand (soon to be removed forcefully 😂).

I'm unable to actually *see* any damage, but I can feel it. Whereas once the wheel was entirely smooth, now there's a textured area, probably 2-3 inches long at about 10 'O clock on the wheel and facing the windshield.

I was thinking perhaps I could sand it smooth somehow... but also that chances are good I'll totally destroy the leather.

Anyone have any suggestions? The feeling on that spot annoys me greatly.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Or get carbon fiber steering like mine from Hansshow. It will never wear out. Very easy to install.

20230106_171807.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Buy a leather steering wheel cover from Ebay. I've done my kids; Honda's and I've already purchased one for my Model 3 in advance expecting the cheap pleather not to hold up. Here are some pics of my son's Honda before and after.

Attachments

• image000002[1].jpg
    image000002[1].jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image000003[1].jpg
    image000003[1].jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image000001[1].jpg
    image000001[1].jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 75
I actually appreciate the stock vegan leather. After 2 years it's still in new condition, with the exception of this damage that I consider negligence.
I wouldn't sand but you can seal and level it with a color matched vinyl repair kit. There's also the stitch on covers, but those are pretty hard to do but if you're good with that sort of detail work is an option.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Does this impact the heated steering wheel function?
I don't know because my car is not wired for heated steering wheel.

According to the above link, you can include heated steering wheel option. I don't know how well it works. It's an $88 option.

Peter

Last edited: