Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw a Performance Dual Motor Model 3 today at the track!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another interesting point to mention:

I saw VINs on three of the Model 3 test cars. A silver one looked like it had seen a lot of aggressive testing and was #67. There was a Midnight Silver one that had a VIN in the 2600 range. The PD car, if I recall correctly, had a VIN in the 500 range. It may be that they built the car on the production line as a normal single-motor LR car, and then upgraded it to PD specs by hand for testing purposes.

Yeah. I wasn't sure if he jacked up the rear end and spun the wheel to check if it was open or limited since I last watched his videos. Limited has more wearable parts, so I'm guessing open.
IIRC with Torsen type LSD differentials, this won't work. Torque transfer only occurs under load. It puzzled me at first, but it worked.
From the pics, I assume the Quaife is this style.

How do you know it won’t have M3 level handling? My guess is that it will.
Because a) it has air suspension and b) it doesn't have adjustable dampers.

I have faith that Tesla will have designed the Model 3P to have a large enough cooling system.
Not possible. Tesla can make radiator 3x bigger but air intake scoop has cross section fixed to very modest size. This is the limiting factor, not cooling system.

Not possible. Tesla can make radiator 3x bigger but air intake scoop has cross section fixed to very modest size. This is the limiting factor, not cooling system.

What size is the intake?
Volume × temp rise = heat rejected,
kW = 1.209×temp_in_C×cubic_meters_per_second
BTU/hr=1.08×delta_F×cmf
If radiator has .5 m^2 area and air passes at 6 m/s (13 MPH) then that is 3 kW of energy transfer for each degree C air temp rise. The AC condenser can produce a high delta temp if needed.

Not possible. Tesla can make radiator 3x bigger but air intake scoop has cross section fixed to very modest size.
What do you think the intake cross section of this V8 powered ICE is?

2001_Pontiac_FirebirdTransAm2.jpg

Because a) it has air suspension and b) it doesn't have adjustable dampers.

I mean it's possible for them to make the air dam bigger. Possible but not likely. No one here knows how good the current cooling system is because the only data point is four laps at a moderate pace before the brakes failed. And it was on a very cold day.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
All D's will be P's?! And miss out on the extra $20K for the P? :D

You know there is exactly no chance of D==P being true!

All D's being software locked Ps is not entirely inconceivable. It goes along with Model 3's simplicity/streamlined manufacturing. Just make all D's capable of performance model via an OTA software update. The ultimate future proofed Tesla :) Its fun to speculate, can't wait to see what the AWD Model 3 holds...should be a beast!

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Im sure @mattcrowley is an awesome driver but I doubt he was going full speed on his first four laps in a car he had never driven at the track. "No brakes left after the 4th lap." I also doubt he was pushing it too hard after the brakes went out. Also the track was wet.

Have you watched the video or looked at his data? I never said he was going full speed...

model3_lagunaseca_mattcrowley-png.284638

Yep top speed was on lap 4, he did slow down a bit for the remaining 5 laps...

His best time at that track is 1:41.9 in his GT4. His best lap in the Model 3 was 1:57.50. Doesn't seem bad for his first time out with poor track conditions...

I would love to see how he would do, and what the brakes would look like, if he tried again but with regen set to standard. (I would even put money toward another brake job.)

I guess we'll see. Performance will definitely be dual motors only. The Model S is pretty useless on a track, the BMW M3 works pretty well. If Tesla is serious about cooling and brakes it could give BMW a challenge.
For any normal driver, Tesla already cleans their clocks. And so you see more Model S sold than BMW Series 7 and 8s.
And I suspect Tesla collects more $ dollars as well than BMW collects on their Series 7 and 8s combined.
I think the only metric BMW can win is miles driven before needing a refueling and top speed, right?

Have you watched the video or looked at his data? I never said he was going full speed...

model3_lagunaseca_mattcrowley-png.284638

Yep top speed was on lap 4, he did slow down a bit for the remaining 5 laps...

His best time at that track is 1:41.9 in his GT4. His best lap in the Model 3 was 1:57.50. Doesn't seem bad for his first time out with poor track conditions...

I would love to see how he would do, and what the brakes would look like, if he tried again but with regen set to standard. (I would even put money toward another brake job.)
It's a good time no doubt, close to the EV production record set by the Bolt (which had cooling problems). It's a long way from an M3 though which can do that track in about 1:40. Regen will make almost no difference, braking from 100mph takes a crazy amount of power.
I'm just saying it's a little early to say that power limiting won't be a problem on repeated fast laps in warm weather.

For any normal driver, Tesla already cleans their clocks. And so you see more Model S sold than BMW Series 7 and 8s.
And I suspect Tesla collects more $ dollars as well than BMW collects on their Series 7 and 8s combined.
I think the only metric BMW can win is miles driven before needing a refueling and top speed, right?
This thread is about track performance though. As a street car Teslas are awesome. I don't think the performance Model 3 will be able to challenge the BMW M3 at the track because I don't think Tesla has shown any interest designing a car to do so. There have been plenty of revisions of the Model S and they haven't improved the cooling or added the ability to disable stability control. It is promising that they were testing the performance model at the track though!

Reactions: McRat
It's a good time no doubt, close to the EV production record set by the Bolt (which had cooling problems). It's a long way from an M3 though which can do that track in about 1:40. Regen will make almost no difference, braking from 100mph takes a crazy amount of power.
I'm just saying it's a little early to say that power limiting won't be a problem on repeated fast laps in warm weather.

The 1st production Model 3 was never meant to be in the same league as an M3. It's closer to a 330i or 340i. The dual motor performance Model 3 should target the M3.

That said... it was a wet track, and the brake pads were inadequate. I bet the LR single motor 3 does 1:50 or better under better conditions. and with tires more like those on an M3.