Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Say no to Saudi Arabia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of what you wrote is from fake news. It is precisely the things you complain about that KSA is fighting against. Precisely the things you are complaining about is what the enemies of KSA do. What's more, KSA is very humanitarian in how it fights wars: it kills the minimum number of people necessary. But, in that area, there are some things that are necessary. Unless you live in that area, you don't have an opportunity to see firsthand how things are done. Furthermore, even if you do live there, it is very bad, with Iran Mullahs causing all sorts of evil, so it would be difficult to research what is going on without getting killed. But you can know one thing for certain: fake news is bought out and lying to you. Don't get your information from fake news; they are the enemy.

It is precisely because KSA is doing the right thing that there is such heavy propaganda against them.
It is precisely because Tesla is doing the right thing that there is such heavy propaganda agsinst them.

Same same same. You can see it in the Tesla news feed today: all agitating for the worst outcome for Tesla from every angle. They can't even stop from contradicting themselves, and they're all negative. The old news media is just garbage. Ignore it. They aren't built to handle real issues like this. Go there for your Hollywood gossip fiction and throw them out after that.

Human rights violations are necessary? Already then... glad we have that sorted out!

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I don't understand all the whataboutisms and saying no to Saudi.

You shouldn't care who funds Tesla for this take over. The mission is to save ALL OF humanity from climate change. You don't get to choose who you want to save based on some criteria you made up because another group of people are under a different rule/law/culture. That makes you no better than the same people you are criticizing. As a health professional, we all had to take the Hippocratic oath in which we need to heal all of humanity, not just the good ones. I have rapist coding in the ED and every one of us give 100% to make sure this person is saved. The good always outweighs the bad, and isn't that what Elon is hoping to save?.

You shouldn't care who funds Tesla for this take over. The mission is to save ALL OF humanity from climate change. You don't get to choose who you want to save based on some criteria you made up because another group of people are under a different rule/law/culture. That makes you no better than the same people you are criticizing. As a health professional, we all had to take the Hippocratic oath in which we need to heal all of humanity, not just the good ones. I have rapist coding in the ED and every one of us give 100% to make sure this person is saved. The good always outweighs the bad, and isn't that what Elon is hoping to save?.

While I think I generally agree with you, different people have different priorities in life. Some people value the environment, others value human rights, while I'd say the majority of ppl value their wallet and little else. Frankly I think environmental concerns are weighed way too low by society overall. You can't get a job if you can't breath the air! But that's the thing... we all have to live in the world where decisions we often don't agree with are made.

The Saudi's are really not a nice group of ppl at the end of the day. Anytime you have religious fundamentalists exerting a strong influence over society, you generally end up with a shithole. That's really the heart of most people's objections I think, the behaviour that follows from having an extremist religion as state ideology. Note I'm not being anti-Islamic per se. I know a ton of Persians who are all quite normal. You'd never think that from reading the news. You see the videos of Saudi's racing their BMW's, while dragging a guy in sandals, I don't think those ppl are overly religious.

Personally I think I'm *ok* with the Saudi's buying in, so long as they don't have controlling ownership, and Elon is comfortable with the power structure, but damn.... it really would be nice if he could find someone else.

Most of what I'm saying here is really just attempting to set straight the various apologists for the regime.

And you would have no trouble if you knew that the profits from the sale of Teslas was going to a murderous, thug, regime that beheads people, subjugates women, etc. etc. As I asked someone before, would you have a bought a VW in the 1930s, knowing that the profits of that sale were going to exterminate 6 million Jews?

Reactions: notacoalminer
Would you have had any problem buying a German car in the 1930s, fully in accordance with US regulations, knowing that the profits of your car purchase would be used to perpetuate the Holocaust?

The way I see it, it is our gas money coming back to us to support our economy and move us towards renewable, clean energy.

And you would have no trouble if you knew that the profits from the sale of Teslas was going to a murderous, thug, regime that beheads people, subjugates women, etc. etc. As I asked someone before, would you have a bought a VW in the 1930s, knowing that the profits of that sale were going to exterminate 6 million Jews?

I know for a fact with 100% certainty that Tesla's profit already goes to child molesters, murderers, con artists, or insert whatever the heck you want. Tesla is a public traded company and any of the described people already bought Tesla shares..you just don't know who. I am supporting Tesla, whoever makes money off Tesla is just the consequences of their success and there's nothing you can do about it if it was sold to the Saudi or Jesus himself.

I do care. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't care about.

Your post confuses matters, and it's hard to parse things apart, but I'll try.

I'm not talking about 'who to save'. I'm talking about who might get a large stake in Tesla, a large amount of power in Tesla, and a large profit from Tesla. I'm talking about who I don't want to do business with, who I don't want to associate with, not whether or not I'd save their lives in the ER.

As for "different rule/law/culture"...

Sentencing people to death for being gay or trying to leave Islam is not "different". Beheading people and stringing up their bodies in the public square is not "different". It's abhorrent. It's unacceptable. I should not have to explain this. It's sad that it seems that I do need to.

Criticizing this makes me no better than them?

Just. Stop.

• Disagree
Reactions: lklundin and jacobp
Personally, I expect human rights violations to increase as the Middle East continues to lose its grip on the global economy via the globe's dependence on oil. So in that sense, if owning a chunk of Tesla in a small way helps the Saudis cushion the blow of reduced global value for oil, it could be best for human rights for the Saudis to own a big chunk of Tesla.

I expect there is a 0% chance of Elon enabling the Saudis to have a controlling stake in Tesla. Too obvious that the Saudis would shut down Tesla to once again Kill the Electric Car in order to help preserve their cash cow: black gold. I don't expect Elon to agree to any terms that fall short of Elon having control, in fact.

I stopped being an American with high-horse human rights principles when Bush decided to invade countries in a vain attempt to install democracy where none was desired/needed. Pathetic, with the blood of tens of thousands of humans on his hands. So I won't judge the Saudis vis-a-vis the USA in this regard.

If I'm the OP, I defer delivery of my car until I have some clarity whether the Saudis are going to become bigger owners of Tesla, assuming OP feels morally OK today taking delivery of a Tesla with the Saudis merely benefitting to the tune of their existing 5% ownership. (Itself, a question for OP.) I also sell my Tesla stock, not wishing to own a company that the Saudis own 5% of. OP, I'm sorry this Saudi situation depresses you, and hope you can recover from your funk. I take some solace in the fact that lots of countries that do bad things own parts of companies, and lots of companies do bad things as well of course. Humanity is nothing if not flawed.

I'm not talking about 'who to save'. I'm talking about who might get a large stake in Tesla, a large amount of power in Tesla, and a large profit from Tesla. I'm talking about who I don't want to do business with, who I don't want to associate with, not whether or not I'd save their lives in the ER.

Sentencing people to death for being gay or trying to leave Islam is not "different". Beheading people and stringing up their bodies in the public square is not "different". It's abhorrent. It's unacceptable. I should not have to explain this. It's sad that it seems that I do need to.

Just. Stop.

A large group of people who believes in some ancient text with ancient rules/law. It's not for me to judge because many people in the U.S also believes in some ancient text with another ancient set of rules. I don't care who is right or wrong because people grew up in different cultures. You find them abhorrent and guess what, they may also find you abhorrent. Hey I'm totally down for getting rid of all religion but I'm not going to impose my nonbelief on others here.

Hey I'm totally down for getting rid of all religion but I'm not going to impose my nonbelief on others here.

Now this is the rub isn't it? Religious fundamentalists (not just Muslim ones) certainly do not share this view with you. They will quite happily, at the cost of your life and/or liberty, impose theirs on you. This is my issue with religion at the end of the day, and it's why I think the chill religions (Hinduism, Buddism, Confusianism) are the best ones.

I say put your money where your mouth is: if you do not want Saudis to take over then buy the stock yourself. This applies to retail investors as well as institutional. Musk let everyone know what is happening. Your move.

Reactions: lklundin
How is this relevant to the conversation?

All these people bringing in all these issues that have nothing to do with the issue at hand...

p.s. Note the source of that piece of journalism. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. A Crown Corporation. You won't see that in Saudi...
My point is that even the most unassuming countries (and Canada was mentioned earlier in the thread in opposition to Saudi Arabia) are not as innocent as they may appear.

You can find something to complain about with most countries. And yes, for our western sentiments it's a much longer list with the middle eastern countries, but I still don't see what that has to do with them investing money in Tesla bonds/stocks etc. The free market we operate in allows anyone to do business. They have money to invest and unlike certain African diamond mines' blood money it's not directly linked to the specific human rights issues raised.

I honestly believe that we have a much better chance of influencing people for the better through our dealings than by not dealing with them at all. Not dealing with people at all is how we ended up with North Korea.

Last edited:
They have money to invest and unlike certain African diamond mines' blood money it's not directly linked to the specific human rights issues raised.

wha..?? How direct do you need it to be lol? Government lashes chicks who were unlucky enough to get raped, government investment fund offers to buy Tesla.

That's pretty darned direct.

Just. Stop.
Apple has already set the standard and all of their believers just look the other way. bathroom law in south carolina... omigod nooo we won't do business in that state. rights are being violated. etc etc.
labor violations in china... censorship, selling devices to millions of nasty people who execute lbgtq or non believers. no problem! here's a device, thanks for the $$$. Apple is opening their first store in Saudi Arabia next year. Not because of any rights violation, but because the saudi gov't has restricted foreign companies from coming in. but hey they stood their ground on the barhroom law :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: vinnie97
Now this is the rub isn't it? Religious fundamentalists (not just Muslim ones) certainly do not share this view with you. They will quite happily, at the cost of your life and/or liberty, impose theirs on you. This is my issue with religion at the end of the day, and it's why I think the chill religions (Hinduism, Buddism, Confusianism) are the best ones.
They don't share the same view as me, and they are not imposing anything on me. They are not the ones who are canceling Teslas and dumping Tesla shares because the majority of Tesla share holders are Christians and from countries who see them as terrorists.