Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Say no to Saudi Arabia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want? If a more preferential buyer appeared then I'd rather that.
However it doesn't bother me enough, comparative to wanting Tesla to be private and free of the vagaries of the stock market; rather how it doesn't bother people enough not to buy Chinese manufactured products despite having a Free Tibet sticker on their car.

NB: Honestly, if your original post had been less dramatic, and more a "I think Saudi is a poor choice due to their human rights issues and oil ties, and other more preferential buyers should be sought instead" post then I'd likely have backed your position all the way.

Last edited:
They don't share the same view as me, and they are not imposing anything on me. They are not the ones who are canceling Teslas and dumping Tesla shares because the majority of Tesla share holders are Christians and from countries who see them as terrorists.

Wha????? You don't call 9/11 imposing on you in any way??? That government led DIRECTLY to 9/11. Directly. Let's go a step further -- let's say Saudi Arabia comes to dominate the world, more than any other power in history ever has. At the same time, they don't modify their religion, or the power it holds in their society. Would that scenario be imposing on you?

Further, I don't care where they are, or how much their immediate actions affect me sitting here in my first world existence. If something is a *sugar* idea, it's a *sugar* idea, and it needs to be called out, so ppl everywhere have as much freedom and we ourselves desire. Justice is not reserved for the rich.

I remember before 9/11 when the Taliban decided to destroy a couple of rock face statues cause they portrayed 'false deities'. I was pissed. Right then and there I said these guys needed to be dealt with. How could citizens of earth tolerate people that were so backwards and dangerous. No-one else could even tell you who the Taliban was at the time. If everyone involved treats everyone else with respect, then we're all good. But the Saudis are not like that; there clearly is baggage and nastiness involved. Various apologists in this thread have stated more or less "the sun's shining, MBS is going what he can, and things are going to get better." That may or may not be the case, I think the jury is out on that one.

Want? If a more preferential buyer appeared then I'd rather that.
However it doesn't bother me enough, comparative to wanting Tesla to be private and free of the vagaries of the stock market; rather how it doesn't bother people enough not to buy Chinese manufactured products despite having a Free Tibet sticker on their car.

There's degrees in everything in life. Canada is not China, is not Saudi Arabia, is not North Korea. Obviously nothing's perfect, but SA is a little more towards the non-perfect side of things than many ppl are comfortable with.

p.s. Canada's treatment of its indigenous populations through the residential school system is a blacker mark on Canada than us continuing to sell asbestos for much longer than we should have. :p

I've been heavily invested in Elon for years. Financially too, but what I mean here is emotionally. Tesla and other ventures, The whole mission. It's been the one bright spot in this otherwise pretty dismal world. It's been my main passion. I'm to take delivery soon, finally, and I don't even feel like it any more.

What do we have here? Norway? No, they can't. Page? No, not interested I guess. Buffet? No. Anyone normal and decent? No. We have the Kingdom of Horrors.

Beheadings,. Cutting off hands. Public executions for fun. They even crucified a man several days ago. Beheaded him and crucified him.

Death penalty to those who try to leave Islam. Lashings for women who were raped.

9/11.

It's an evil country.

I feel like the sun has gone out.
Not sure how it's ethically different to the Saudis just buying lots of shares in a publicly listed company.

There's degrees in everything in life. Canada is not China, is not Saudi Arabia, is not North Korea. Obviously nothing's perfect, but SA is a little more towards the non-perfect side of things than many ppl are comfortable with.

p.s. Canada's treatment of its indigenous populations through the residential school system is a blacker mark on Canada than us continuing to sell asbestos for much longer than we should have. :p

Asbestos? US just loosened the regulations:https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/russian-asbestos-trump_face/

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
Allot cheaper to cut off hands or feet than taxing the working class to house and feed them.
A good friend of mine got into drugs and stole a car when he was a teenager. He's now in his late 40s and is the CTO of a large telco.
Sure, it would have been cheaper to cut his hands off 25 years ago, but luckily we live in a country where compassion and common sense prevails.

I wonder if this isn't why Elon Musk wasn't more straight forwards with it.

That obviously to a lot of people this is an extremely negative thing.

Car buying isn't exactly a rational thing. Sure we might use rational justifications for it, but often it's an emotional thing. We're emotionally attached to how it looks, how it performs, to what feelings it invokes.

I recently bought a 4x4 camper van mostly because it represented who I saw myself as. But, did I go on some adventure on the weekend? No, I spent the weekend playing No Man's Sky.

Now I'm not sure how big of a role this will play. Lots of people buy cars purely based on what's in front of them in the moment. My brother recently bought a new VW, and didn't mention a thing about Diesel gate. He got it because it was cheap, and had a good discount.

I'm no better because I only briefly thought about it while placing a meaningless reservation for a Porsche Taycan.

The idea mooted above that the current prince is moving Saudi Arabia away from heavy handed repression because some tightly controlled top-down cosmetics are being applied does not fit with reality.

I'll repost one relevant source and add an excerpt:

August 1, 2018
Prominent Saudi Women Activists Arrested
Samar Badawi, Nassima al-Sadah Among Latest Crackdown Victims

(Beirut) – Saudi authorities have arrested the internationally recognized women’s rights activist Samar Badawi and an Eastern Province activist, Nassima al-Sadah, in the past two days, Human Rights Watch said today. Badawi and al-Sadah are the latest victims of an unprecedented government crackdown on the women’s rights movement that began on May 15, 2018 and has resulted in the arrest of more than a dozen activists.

Badawi, a recipient of the United States’ 2012 International Women of Courage Award, is best known for challenging Saudi Arabia’s discriminatory male guardianship system. She was one of the first women to petition Saudi authorities to allow women the right to drive as well as the right to vote and run in municipal elections. Al-Sadah, from the coastal city of Qatif, has also long campaigned both for abolishing the guardianship system and lifting the driving ban. She was a candidate in the 2015 local elections, the first time women were allowed to run, but the authorities removed her name from the ballot, ultimately barring her from running.
Prominent Saudi Women Activists Arrested

More detailed analysis from Human Rights Watch:
< World Report 2017: Rights Trends in Saudi Arabia
< Country file Saudi Arabia
I'd be interested to see trends, rather than individual cases. That would show if Saudi is getting better or worse. I have the sense that Saudi is getting better, on average.
It's hard to make comparisons based on individual cases, because just about every country has enough horribleness to fill a blog post.

Reactions: Vitold
I've been heavily invested in Elon for years. Financially too, but what I mean here is emotionally. Tesla and other ventures, The whole mission. It's been the one bright spot in this otherwise pretty dismal world. It's been my main passion. I'm to take delivery soon, finally, and I don't even feel like it any more.

What do we have here? Norway? No, they can't. Page? No, not interested I guess. Buffet? No. Anyone normal and decent? No. We have the Kingdom of Horrors.

Beheadings,. Cutting off hands. Public executions for fun. They even crucified a man several days ago. Beheaded him and crucified him.

Death penalty to those who try to leave Islam. Lashings for women who were raped.

9/11.

It's an evil country.

I feel like the sun has gone out.
For context,

the same Saudi money is scattered all over other technologies that we uses daily.. so unless we choose not to use technology, then this is really inevitable. The same Saudi money is funding: Solar farm, ARM (main technology behind all your smarthphones brains), NVIDIA.

Anyhow, I'm sure you get my point. By the same argument, US is currently investing in more oil, coal than renewables. Whereas countries like Norway, Saudi, and China (first two got rich from oil) investing in major renewables.

Saudi-SoftBank tech fund nears $100 billion target

Where the huge SoftBank-Saudi tech fund is investing

SoftBank Vision Fund, Saudi Arabia to create world's biggest solar...

This is where SoftBank’s $98 billion Vision Fund has invested so far

Vision Fund | Softbank

So, I'd rather Tesla go private and stop the Quarterly BS push and focus on long term. Then, maybe (hopefully) Tesla can be as efficient as SpaceX.

A separate note, Tesla need a good COO! like Gwynne Shotwell - Wikipedia

P.S. Similar note, Chinese companies own majorities of "US companies" like AMC, Legendary Entertainment all under Wanda Group. Just to name a few, the list is too long if I have to list them all one by one.
Chinese Conglomerate Buys AMC Movie Chain in U.S.
China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
So should we all stop going to movies and stop watching Hollywood movies? since China own most of it.

Last edited:
I don't understand all the whataboutisms and saying no to Saudi.

You shouldn't care who funds Tesla for this take over. The mission is to save ALL OF humanity from climate change. You don't get to choose who you want to save based on some criteria you made up because another group of people are under a different rule/law/culture. That makes you no better than the same people you are criticizing. As a health professional, we all had to take the Hippocratic oath in which we need to heal all of humanity, not just the good ones. I have rapist coding in the ED and every one of us give 100% to make sure this person is saved. The good always outweighs the bad, and isn't that what Elon is hoping to save?.
I do care. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't care about.

Your post confuses matters, and it's hard to parse things apart, but I'll try.

I'm not talking about 'who to save'. I'm talking about who might get a large stake in Tesla, a large amount of power in Tesla, and a large profit from Tesla. I'm talking about who I don't want to do business with, who I don't want to associate with, not whether or not I'd save their lives in the ER.

As for "different rule/law/culture"...

Sentencing people to death for being gay or trying to leave Islam is not "different". Beheading people and stringing up their bodies in the public square is not "different". It's abhorrent. It's unacceptable. I should not have to explain this. It's sad that it seems that I do need to.

Criticizing this makes me no better than them?

Just. Stop.
THIS!

And I thought Elon was partly wanting to take Tesla private to prevent the Saudis from buying an even larger share...

To me this is about as surreal as when the Chinese Military Dictatorship bought Volvo Cars from Ford (not the truck manufacturer Volvo Group, which thankfully is another company...).

You guys can criticize it all you want.
Want to do something about it? Buy more shares, or convince another large investor to invest the money to help Tesla go private.

The world isn't as easy as "I'm not going to have anything to do with any country because I don't like their actions". Not in a financial way with global economics.

SA wants to diversify from oil. This is a good thing.
Does the government of SA also do bad things? You bet they do. But I am not going to punish a company doing good things, for allowing a country to do a good thing, even though they do some bad things.
Besides, I don't think Tesla could stop them from a hostile takeover if SA really put its mind to it, and was patient (as it would take some time).