Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC lineup in Vaughan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Saw this on reddit today:
v1u73uxt2aga1.jpg

Vaughn is a mess on weekends. And Black Friday was really crazy. But then, even the non-Tesla parking spots were hard to find.

Not sure what the attraction of that mall is. But have had similar problems with other mall Superchargers as well, like Sherway Gardens.

When just passing thru, not shopping, I try to avoid Superchargers in mall locations unless I know them. Some malls are ok, Barrie, Fairview ...

Last edited:
Heard from a friend yesterday about the lineup at the Mississauga Supercharger on Friday during the deep freeze. Many SC’s in ON and QC were incurring lineups that day.

He said when he got to the SC there was a lineup of about a dozen cars. Someone tried to cut the line and drive fast into a spot that was just becoming vacant and that person hit a Model X in their haste. A few owners got out and told him there was a line but he was being rude and saying he didn’t care. They blocked him from using the charge plug but he just continued to be rude and said he was going to go eat then and went into the Buffalo Wild Wings. He left his car in the spot unplugged and disregarded that he just hit the Model X.

I don’t know what the end result was but my friend said he charged to get 100kms and then left when it was his turn.

Selfish people ruin everything.

Had a similar lineup on Friday night . Many people close to running out in dangerous weather. L2 charger and inaccurate wait estimates didn’t help (shared chargers -> longer wait -> losing preconditioning advantage because of colder packs -> slower charging for next person -> line gets longer ….).

Some point last August I ended up at Vaughan Mills for a Supercharger on return from Muskoka. Worst mistake I ever made. When I got my turn, I charged enough to get home plus a bit extra for just in case. Drivers are borderline aggressive and totally impatient/selfish/inconsiderate so I'm not in the least surprised that an accident happened. I wouldn't consider shopping at VM either - it's just nuts despite all the parking. If you ever travel that route, I'd highly suggest charging somewhere up in Barrie and bypassing VM.

I'm glad that they're adding more SCs to the northern route, but as Tesla grows significantly in Ontario, they really need to amp up the SC rollout. I can't imagine how bad it'll become if they open the chargers up to non-Teslas, especially during cottage season.

I'm glad that they're adding more SCs to the northern route, but as Tesla grows significantly in Ontario, they really need to amp up the SC rollout. I can't imagine how bad it'll become if they open the chargers up to non-Teslas, especially during cottage season.
What are they adding to the northern route? I don't see anything on the map north of the GTA, except for the sites along the 401 like Trenton, etc

To be honest, Tesla needs to upgrade the 150kW superchargers to 250kW in GTA, like Markville Mall, Woodbine, Fairview Mall & Vaughan Mills. Pickering is always busy too but there is a new 250kW (8 Stalls) going to be opened at Kingston & Sheppard behind ESSO.

Attachments

• Kingston & Sheppard SC.JPG
    Kingston & Sheppard SC.JPG
    770.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
What are they adding to the northern route? I don't see anything on the map north of the GTA, except for the sites along the 401 like Trenton, etc
Well, they did add one at Bracebridge recently, but I'm hoping that if they're using the quick install platformed Superchargers it'll allow for more to pop up in the short term. There's supposed to be a second site forthcoming in Vaughan too.

To be honest, Tesla needs to upgrade the 150kW superchargers to 250kW in GTA, like Markville Mall, Woodbine, Fairview Mall & Vaughan Mills. Pickering is always busy too but there is a new 250kW (8 Stalls) going to be opened at Kingston & Sheppard behind ESSO.
Why would they remove perfectly good infrastructure to upgrade when they could invest in a net-new site and leave the old one in place? These stations are not very old.

Why would they remove perfectly good infrastructure to upgrade when they could invest in a net-new site and leave the old one in place? These stations are not very old.
They did that at Sherway. They upgraded it from the Urban chargers to 150kW chargers. If the infrastructure is there and it can support the higher loads, it would be better since the 250kW chargers are linked/shared together like the 150kWs and it would significantly improve throughput. While they are putting in another bank of chargers not too far away it makes sense to put more power here as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer and Allx
They did that at Sherway. They upgraded it from the Urban chargers to 150kW chargers. If the infrastructure is there and it can support the higher loads, it would be better since the 250kW chargers are linked/shared together like the 150kWs and it would significantly improve throughput. While they are putting in another bank of chargers not too far away it makes sense to put more power here as well.
Urban to 150 is a different story.. aren't they both V2 cabinets either way? Upgrading to V3 is a much bigger step up, from supporting 2 stalls per cabinet to 4. IMO no concrete was broken in the upgrade from Urban to 150kW stalls, whereas the effort to upgrade to V3 would be significantly higher.

Well, they did add one at Bracebridge recently, but I'm hoping that if they're using the quick install platformed Superchargers it'll allow for more to pop up in the short term. There's supposed to be a second site forthcoming in Vaughan too.
Yes, Bracebridge came online recently but except in rare instances these are on the Tesla map for several quarters or years before they are actually built. And there is nothing in the pipeline for that area:
1676303552483.png

Yes, Bracebridge came online recently but except in rare instances these are on the Tesla map for several quarters or years before they are actually built. And there is nothing in the pipeline for that area:
View attachment 906697
Yes, I agree. It takes an awfully long time to get things going. I think Bracebridge was on the plan for at least 3 years before it finally was completed late last year. This is why the pre-fab units might help with the expansion. The other part of the equation is how Tesla is making decisions about expansion. Now that it's allowing owners to vote on locations - that might either be good or bad but it's unclear at the moment.

Last edited:
Urban to 150 is a different story.. aren't they both V2 cabinets either way? Upgrading to V3 is a much bigger step up, from supporting 2 stalls per cabinet to 4. IMO no concrete was broken in the upgrade from Urban to 150kW stalls, whereas the effort to upgrade to V3 would be significantly higher.
Understood, but some of the more "popular" places should still be under consideration for review. I get what you're saying about expansion as opposed to more complicated upgrading, but at some point it's justifiable. It'll depend upon whether Tesla also opens up their chargers too. If the Tesla chargers get inundated with other vehicles, Tesla owners aren't going to be all that happy - especially if they've got to wait for a long time.

Heard from a friend yesterday about the lineup at the Mississauga Supercharger on Friday during the deep freeze. Many SC’s in ON and QC were incurring lineups that day.

He said when he got to the SC there was a lineup of about a dozen cars. Someone tried to cut the line and drive fast into a spot that was just becoming vacant and that person hit a Model X in their haste. A few owners got out and told him there was a line but he was being rude and saying he didn’t care. They blocked him from using the charge plug but he just continued to be rude and said he was going to go eat then and went into the Buffalo Wild Wings. He left his car in the spot unplugged and disregarded that he just hit the Model X.

I don’t know what the end result was but my friend said he charged to get 100kms and then left when it was his turn.

Selfish people ruin everything.
Hate to be the guy who says this (because it feels like I’m being an intolerant old man), but I never witnessed any rude behaviour until the new Models came around. I totally get their importance but I totally miss the “good old days” when you looked forward to chatting with people at the SC. Now, EV etiquette is getting worse and worse.