TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scalding hot door handles

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by John E., Jun 11, 2016.

1. John E.

John E. Member

Now that summer has arrived in south Florida, I am having painful experiences with the door handles. Anybody have a good solution other than parking indoors?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Be a gentleman, and carry a cloth handkerchief. Use that to protect your hands with the doors. And I agree, they get very hot in the summer.

• Like x 2
  3. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

I you usually commute alone, as I do, park with the driver's door on the shaded (north) side of the car.

4. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

I had mine wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. No more heat.

I've seen a clear vinyl wrap in case you don't want to change the color. Not sure of that would help with the heat the same way though

5. TES-E

TES-E Member

I keep a small towel in the trunk. If the door handle is on the sun side, I open the trunk, get the towel, and open the door using the towel. It works, and the AZ sun is not something to fool with.

6. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

Wrap it. See RPMTesla.com
    I just added a bunch of great aftermarket items and the CF looks fantastic.
    IT really too dark for good exterior shots, but the CF on console looks super.

Attached Files:

7. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I just put a couple layers of duct tape on the back side. Doesn't show.

8. DJung

DJung Member

Gaffers tape on mine. Works like a charm. No issues with weather and if done right they don't show. They come off clean too.

9. kort677

kort677 Banned

here in FLA, and I suspect in many other hot locales, the wiser people know that a good parking spot is not a close parking spot, it is a spot with some kind of shade. that said this is an unintended consequence of the "bright" handles. wrapping them is a solution.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

11. John E.

John E. Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will check out the carbon fiber and other ideas.