Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary incident: Car slides backwards after driver exits car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple days ago, I parked my P85D in my driveway, which slopes downwards towards the street. There was no passenger, just me. After opening the door (no warning sounds), exiting the car and standing by it behind the open door, the car suddenly started rolling backwards, down the slope, with the door taking me for the ride. Trying to get back in, I grabbed the turn signal stalk, which immediately broke. As the car continued to gain speed going backwards, towards the street, I managed to grab the steering wheel, pull myself in, and press the Park button at the end of the gear shift handle. The car stopped immediately.

I don't get scared easily, and this was very scary. Facing away from the street, I had no way of knowing what would happen if I let the car roll. Luckily, the car didn't reach the street, so there was no damage to other cars or pedestrians. In the "rescue" effort, I hurt my leg (still limping today).

I took pictures of my car and the surrounding. There was a light snow over the driveway, so the tire tracks were clearly showing, indicating that the tires rolled, not slipped, back. Furthermore, the fact that the car stopped immediately when I pressed P indicates that the parking brake was not engaged prior to that, when the car rolled backwards.

IMG_20190319_091620 (Large).jpg IMG_20190319_091657 (Large).jpg MVIMG_20190319_091703 (Large).jpg

I immediately contacted the local (Toronto) Tesla service, and the lady that took the call told me that Tesla will review the electronic trace of what happened over the Internet and will call me back. That was it. No acknowledgement that this is a major safety issue, no offer to fix the broken turn signal, no offer to give me an alternative car while mine is being inspected and debugged. I thought they will call me right back, but when they didn't, I called the service number again, talk to the manager (Mustafa) and mailed him the pictures of what happened. No call back. On the next day, when I called again, he finally agreed to send a tow truck to take the car to their facility and to give me a replacement car for the day it took them to replace the broken stalk. They charged me for the repair, but said I will get a refund if their "black box analysis" will show it was the car's fault. He wasn't able to tell me when that analysis report will become available to me ("perhaps days, perhaps weeks"). When I picked up the car, he claimed that they inspected it thoroughly, found nothing wrong, and it is now safe to drive.

I'm pretty sure I put the gear in P before leaving the car (I had this car for almost 4 years and do it without thinking). However, after getting my car back yesterday I tried to simulate what would happen if it was in another gear by mistake. In all other gears (D/N/R), the car made warning sounds and automatically shifted to P as soon as I opened the door.

I placed a wooden plank in my car and will use it as a wheel stopper when the car is parked on a slope until I get a full explanation from Tesla of what caused this incident.

Did anything similar happen to you? If so, how did Tesla react? How was it resolved?

A couple days ago, I parked my P85D in my driveway, which slopes downwards towards the street. There was no passenger, just me. After opening the door (no warning sounds), exiting the car and standing by it behind the open door, the car suddenly started rolling backwards, down the slope, with the door taking me for the ride.

Luckily, it appears you are on a residential street in a subdivision? Still, I know the feeling and I'll bet there was an elevated pulse?

There was some discussion on Model 3's of the difference in behavior of opening the door depending on if you have Creep on or off. I honestly forget the answer. But is your Creep on or off? Not sure what applies to Model S though. The discussion might have been around car washes and complaints that it would go into park when they got out.

I'd be curious if a Model S is supposed to go into Park if you open the door (Creep on or off).

I need to double check my settings.

Luckily, it appears you are on a residential street in a subdivision? Still, I know the feeling and I'll bet there was an elevated pulse?
Yup, Adrenaline rush. In hindsight, my car would have probably rolled cross the street, destroy the opposite neighbor's garage door and perhaps dent his car (and itself). It was morning, when there is typically some traffic and kids on their way to school on our street, so the risk of hurting someone invisible badly was clearly present. Anyhow, it all happened in a few seconds, so there was no time for complicated risk/rewards calculations, just an immediate fight or flight response.

Reactions: mswlogo
There was some discussion on Model 3's of the difference in behavior of opening the door depending on if you have Creep on or off. I honestly forget the answer. But is your Creep on or off? Not sure what applies to Model S though. The discussion might have been around car washes and complaints that it would go into park when they got out.

I'd be curious if a Model S is supposed to go into Park if you open the door (Creep on or off).

I need to double check my settings.

My creep mode is off. In any case, when I try it now, my car immediately shifts to P from any gear and sounds a warning when I open the door.

• Informative
As I recall, it goes into park if you lift your butt off the driver's seat, with the car stationary. (Or in very slow motion, I'll bet.) The normal behavior is definitely to go into park if you exit the car without engaging it, I just think the trigger is actually getting out of the seat rather than opening the door.

...they inspected it thoroughly, found nothing wrong, and it is now safe to drive...

It might be that Tesla inspected thoroughly but they did not report to you thoroughly.

The least they should do is give you the timeline and sequence of the event such as below.

10:00:00 The car was placed in Park by the physical button (not electronic screen).

10:00:03 It remained Park for 3 seconds.

10:00:03 The driver door was open from the inside.

10:00:04 The Park gear was changed to Neutral

10:00:06 The car rolled in reverse for 2 seconds at the speed of 0.01 mile per hour

10:00:07 The car was placed in Park by the physical button (not electronic screen) and remained stationary.

If that event above is not what they meant they could have given you their version:

10:00:00 The car was placed in Park by the physical button (not electronic screen).
10:00:01 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:02 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:03 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:04 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:05 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:06 Remains in Park. No change
10:00:07 Remains in Park. No change

Otherwise, it's just like while the rest of the world was grounding the Boeing 737 Max but both Boeing and FAA still defied grounding the plane by issuing Airworthiness Directives confirming the model is safe for flying as they are data driven organizations.

Wow, glad you weren’t seriously injured.

I don’t think this is an issue specific to Tesla. Most cars are designed so that when you put the car in park, only the back wheels will lock. I’m guessing given the incline in your driveway, your back wheels started to slide backwards while your front wheels rolled freely.

Do you happen to have winter tires?

The owners manual warns about a loss of traction under your exact scenario.

This is why i keep creep mode on. I have a feeling the car was never placed into P.
As I wrote above, when the gear is not in P and the door is opened, the car is supposed to sound an alarm and automatically shift to P, so if the car was not in P when I exited, it malfunctioned. It is possible in N to press the brake pedal while opening the door without the car shifting immediately to P. However there is a warning sound, and, on such a slope, the car will roll back immediately when the brake pedal is released, making it impossible for me to exit. In any case, I never shift into N and it actually requires careful attention to be able to select it.

Wow, glad you weren’t seriously injured.

I don’t think this is an issue specific to Tesla. Most cars are designed so that when you put the car in park, only the back wheels will lock. I’m guessing given the incline in your driveway, your back wheels started to slide backwards while your front wheels rolled freely.

Do you happen to have winter tires?

The owners manual warns about a loss of traction under your exact scenario.

An interesting theory, but doesn't explain how come the car stopped immediately when the P button was pressed. Besides, the driveway was not slippery at all. It was totally ice free. Just light snow powder.

I have heard other reports of users not using park when they park. It seems that people are trusting the Tesla fail safe, that detects when a door is opened or your butt leaves the seat, it shifts to park automatically. That mechanism clearly failed in this case.

While it may work as a safety catch, exiting the car without putting it in Park is a bad idea imho. All it would take is a failure of the door sensor, or butt sensor to have a failure like you described. I recommend everyone use the park button every time, and if you forget, the automatic safety devices will kick in (hopefully).

What Firmware are you on? Did you have creep engaged?

I have heard other reports of users not using park when they park. It seems that people are trusting the Tesla fail safe, that detects when a door is opened or your butt leaves the seat, it shifts to park automatically. That mechanism clearly failed in this case.

While it may work as a safety catch, exiting the car without putting it in Park is a bad idea imho. All it would take is a failure of the door sensor, or butt sensor to have a failure like you described. I recommend everyone use the park button every time, and if you forget, the automatic safety devices will kick in (hopefully).

What Firmware are you on? Did you have creep engaged?

The P is engaged when the door is opened. An alarm sounds as well. There was no alarm.

One detail that may be important here is that as I leaped in and reached across the steering wheel to press the P button, I noticed that the instrument panel said "car off". You can actually see this message in one of the pictures. Given that I just exited the car and didn't even close the door yet, this looked strange to me. I don't remember seeing that message in similar circumstances in the past.

My app says that the version installed is 2018.50.6 4ec03ed

Like this?
This was suggested earlier, but it doesn't explain how I managed to stop the car (abruptly, on the spot) by pressing the P button. If pressing the P button made such a dramatic and immediate difference, the car was not in P before I pressed it. Besides, my driveway is not nearly as steep as the one in the video, and the snow was very light with no ice underneath.

...pressing the P button...

You need a log from Tesla, not just an assurance that everything was normal!

It would confirm what time you pressed P the first time and what time you did the second time.

It would tell you whether the Parking was activated once on the first push or twice with 2 pushes

or only once on first and remained throughout even there were 2 pushes...

Sounds like there was certainly something fishy going on, my bet is a bad door or butt sensor or both.

This is exactly why I cringe whenever I hear about people who don't use the park button and instead rely on the car to put it in park for them. Like you proved, the Park button works well. For instance the car has AEB, which is a fail safe in case the driver fails to stop for an obstacle. However, I'll bet you wouldn't dream of just rolling up to a stoplight at 25 mph with traffic in front of you and "Let the car do the braking with AEB"

Though the car probably would stop, its not the intended use to rely on the emergency systems to do operations you are supposed to manage.