Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross Class for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SCCA released their revisions for July and the Model 3 now has a proper classification.

D Street:
https://www.scca.com/downloads/41816-2018-07-30-solo-rules-book-2e-reduced/download
Page 150.

Seems fair to me for the TM3 LR. However, it doesn't differentiate between the LR, Dual Motor or Performance. If they don't correct this in time for Nationals, a P3D owner with a little skill might want to consider giving it a shot.

Last edited:
D Street class (DS)
  • Acura
    • Integra Type R
  • Alfa Romeo
    • Giulia (incl. Ti) (2017-18)
  • Audi
    • A3 (2.0T, all) (2015-18)
    • A3 quattro (3.2L V6, AWD) (200609)
    • A5 (2008-17)
    • S4 (2000-03)
    • TT (1.8T, non-quattro/FWD) (2000-06)
    • TT (2.0T, non-quattro/FWD) (2008-09)
    • TT quattro (AWD) (2000-06)
  • BMW
    • 128i (2008-13)
    • 2 Series (228i, 230i) (4-cyl Turbo; F22 chassis) (2014-18)
    • 3 Series (328i, 328d, 330i) (4-cyl turbo; F30/F31/F34 chassis) (2012-18)
    • 3 Series (E46 & E9X chassis; nonM3, non-turbo) (1999-2013)
    • 4 Series (428i, 430i) (F32/F33/ F36 chassis) (2014-18)
    • M3 (E36 chassis) (1995-99)
  • Cadillac
    • ATS (2.0L Turbo) (2013-18)
    • CTS (non-V, non-Vsport) (200318)
  • Chevrolet
    • Camaro LS & LT (2.0L Turbo; excluding Suspension Lowering Kit and Brembo® 6-piston Front Brake Kit) (2016-18)
    • Camaro (V6) (2010-15)
    • Cobalt SS (2.0L Turbo) (2008-10)
  • Chrysler
    • 300 (V6) (2011-18)
    • Crossfire (non-SRT-6)
  • Dodge
    • Challenger (V6) (2011-18)
    • Charger (V6) (2011-18)
  • Eagle
    • Talon Turbo (AWD)
  • Ford
    • Mustang EcoBoost (2015-18)
    • Mustang V6 (2011-17)
  • Honda
    • Civic Type R (2017-18)
  • Hyundai
    • Genesis Coupe (4-cyl Turbo) (2013-16)
    • Genesis Coupe (V6) (2010-12)
  • Infiniti
    • G35 Coupe (2003-07)
    • G35 Sedan (2003-09)
  • Lexus
    • GS 350 (2005-18)
    • IS (all excl. IS-F) (2001-18)
    • SC 400 (1992-2000)
  • Mazda
    • Mazdaspeed6
  • Mercedes-Benz
    • C-Class (6-cyl, non-AMG) (200116)
    • CLA250 4matic
    • CLK (V6) (1998-2009)
    • GLA250 4matic
  • MINI
    • Clubman John Cooper Works All4 (2017-18)
    • Cooper Clubman JCW (2009-14)
    • Cooper Clubman S (2008-14, 2016-18)
    • Cooper Coupe JCW (2013-15)
    • Cooper Coupe S (2013-15)
    • Cooper Hardtop JCW (2006-18)
    • Cooper Hardtop S (2002-18)
    • Cooper Roadster JCW (2012-15)
    • Cooper Roadster S (2012-15)
  • Mitsubishi
    • Eclipse Turbo (AWD)
    • Lancer Ralliart (2009-15)
  • Saab
    • 9-2X Aero (2.0L Turbo) (2005-06)
  • Scion
    • FR-S (without TRD suspension components) (2013-16)
  • Subaru
    • BRZ (without Performance Package) (2013-16, 2017-18)
    • Legacy 2.5GT (2005-12)
    • WRX (non-STI) (2001-18)
  • Tesla
    • Model 3 (2018)
  • Toyota
    • 86 (without TRD suspension and wheels) (2017-18)
  • Volkswagen
    • Golf R (2012-13)
    • R32 (Golf chassis) (2004, 2008)

40162A04-CC9B-4962-B7AB-21A5B347137E.jpeg
Wow can’t belive they didn’t differentiate the p3d,awd and rwd. Might have to make a 15yr auto-x comeback lol. Ive also auto-x my 335... but don’t have pics. Before the wrx I ran SM with a heavily modified integra and was fairly competitive at local events.

They probably added the Model 3 to DS before they even knew about the AWD and P3D versions. I suspect the P3D will be put in AS, uncertain about the normal AWD one... I could see it being left in DS and becoming a serious force there.

I still haven't got my normal Model 3LR out there. The last time I autocrossed was several years ago but I used to do it all the time (won my regional ES class in a 1994 MR2 years ago).

1909850_567349020952_2949_n.jpg

... and my car in college, a 1985 Corolla GTS. I bought it for $500 from some lady after the fuel pump died @ 40,000 miles. Ended up selling it for $7000.00 after some anime came out called Initial D. That cartoon indirectly paid for part of my grad school lol.

10858542_10103414784641102_2723902378832074877_n.jpg

P, AWD, and LR might not be very far apart on an average autocross course. Look at how much more power the Model 3 has than those other cars. The lighter weight of the LR might even make it faster. I think you’re limited to the stock wheel size so that would be a major disadvantage on a 4000lb car.

Notes from my first outing on June 23rd:

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:48 AM
Subject: AutoX-ing a Model 3 : Experiment #1

This past weekend I took the Model 3 out to a **** practice day. I didn’t know what to expect from it but I was optimistic. The setup is essentially stock with the only change being the wheels and tires (both stock sizes):

Wheels: Enkei Raijin, 19 x 8.5 +35mm
Tires: Continental Exteremecontact Sport, 235/40-19 (next step up from the 19” OEM Continental Procontact tire)

I charged to 100% the night before and drove down to ******* in the rain arriving w/ 72% charge from my place in ******. It’s worth noting that if I had been on the OEM tires w/ the aero caps I probably would have been able to get there with more than 75% charge. I’ve noticed a 10% decrease in efficiency from the OEM tires to the tires I have on now.

We ran a semi-Enduro course. The course was setup for Enduro but we only got one hot lap instead of 3. Because of this format one run of this course was equivalent to two runs of a standard auto-X course with only the last one timed. It was the usual; slalom-slalom-slalom…, u-turn, slalom-slalom-slalom…, u-turn course typical of the runway at ********* Field. It was the course from the previous weekend’s auto-X competitive event and seemed to favor the higher horsepower vehicles. It flowed well with 4 distinct hard braking zones. I recall seeing 67 mph while at one of the faster points on the course.

The weather was in the low 70’s overcast to partly cloudy and dry. There were about 22 cars present in the AM. I ran in the 2nd run group and had a chance to observe the times of the 1st run group noting several cars where the vehicle type and driver skill seemed to match mine. Two(2) F-chassis 3-series Bimmers and one(1) newer Mustang (V8, possibly a GT). For the most part other than exhaust they seemed stock to me. I didn’t know the drivers but from what I could tell, they weren’t novices to auto-X. Collectively their best times for the session were roughly in the 57-58 second range. Times were not recorded that I know of only announced via the PA system.

Run 1 (lap 1 & 2): I attempted to create a baseline and familiarization with the course and the car at the limit.
- SoC at start: 72%
- Tires Front L/R : Rear L/R (psi): 47/47 : 44/44
- Steering Mode: Sport
- Regeneration: Standard
- Slip Start: 0ff
- Time (sec): 59.8 / Clean
- Watt-hours/Mile: 1,206
- ESC was noticeable in some instances

Run 2 (lap 3 & 4): I attempted to push harder.
- SoC at start: 69%
- Tires Front L/R : Rear L/R (psi): 50/50 : 45/45
- Slip Start: On
- Time (sec): 58.3 / Clean
- Watt-hours/Mile: 1,250
- ESC was more noticeable especially when attempting to rotate of the car with the throttle.

Run 3 (lap 5 & 6): I attempted to find a better line that the ESC would like.
- SoC at start: 66%
- Tires Front L/R : Rear L/R (psi): 50/50 : 45/45
- Lap 6 Time (sec): 56.9 / Clean
- Watt-hours/Mile: 1,324
- ESC was not as noticeable in some instances

Run 4 (lap 7) with a passenger: standard autoX
- SoC at start: N/A
- Tires Front L/R : Rear L/R (psi): N/A
- Lunch runs - No Time
- Watt-hours/Mile: N/A
- ESC was very noticeable especially when attempting to rotate the car with the throttle.

Run 5 (lap 8) with a passenger: standard autoX
- SoC at start: 63%
- Tires Front L/R : Rear L/R (psi): N/A
- Lunch runs - No Time
- Watt-hours/Mile: 1,327
- ESC was as noticeable in some instances

Observations:
- Camber challenged suspension or the sidewalls of the tire are too soft. I inflated them to the max (50 psi) and I was still exceeding the tread contact surface.
- The car did not roll as much as I expected for a stock car even in the high transitioning sections
- Quick suspension for a stock car
- Braking:
o Strong and linear
o Never got soft, remained consistent
o The ABS does not feel like a traditional brake booster powered brake. There is no ‘farting’ when it kicks in. It’s hard to perceive.
- Steering:
o A little numb, at times it felt like I had a reduced tactile feel of where the tires were pointed
o Steering ratio is quick, works well, very little need for steering shuffling
o Steering wheel size felt good for quick movements
- Power delivery once you get rolling is linear and strong, I could not feel a difference in power from the first to the last run
- Electronic Stability Control:
o Womp, womp… To me this seemed like the biggest weakness.
o Turning on Slip Start is the most that you can do to disable some of the traction control, but my understanding is that it only works at very low speeds.
o The car could be considerably faster if it could be allowed to yaw a little more. It would not allow me to rotate it with the throttle through the corner. On my 2nd to last run (lap 7), I attempted to put the throttle to the floor right before the exit of a 270 degree right corner. The car should have swapped ends but instead it reduced the power and applied some rear brakes.

My friend ***** was there with his lightly modified 2006 Subaru STi, we are equal in skillsets, gauging my performance against his was a good comparison. His STi usually runs the comparable times as my 350Z (lightly modified) when we both are at an autoX. His best time was in the low 57’s.

Near the beginning of my 3rd lap (run 2) I heard very audible “thump” from the driver’s side front during a hard braking event. I thought it might have been a piece of runway coming up and hitting the inside of the wheel well. After my run I checked out the car it and it turned out that the windshield washer cap had popped off and washer fluid went everywhere. It had either not been closed properly or it’s a design flaw that could happen when the fluid is forced forward during a heavy braking event. I secured it and it didn’t happen again, quite possibly because it lost nearly half a gallon of fluid.

There will be another practice on July 7th. Hopefully it will be a regular auto-X so I can record more laps, get some video and try different things. I have to start considering an altered line around the course where I can get more time and distance to help rotate the car for faster times (due to the ESC). I won’t attempt the ABS disconnect trick as it wouldn’t be considered stock class eligible if I did and also for the concern that it could start logging errors and/or reporting back to Tesla what’s happening.

Thanks for the review, Drivesolo!

I can't wait to see what people do to their Model 3s to make them more competitive at autocross. I still think (hope?) a P3D+ with ultralight 18" wheels and competition tires is going to be a tough car to beat out there.

There will be another practice on July 7th. Hopefully it will be a regular auto-X so I can record more laps, get some video and try different things. I have to start considering an altered line around the course where I can get more time and distance to help rotate the car for faster times (due to the ESC). I won’t attempt the ABS disconnect trick as it wouldn’t be considered stock class eligible if I did and also for the concern that it could start logging errors and/or reporting back to Tesla what’s happening.
I thought stock class was replaced with street class where disabling VSC is allowed. See page 67:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.ne..._Rules_complete_reduced.pdf?1521064100#page69
It’s crazy that there’s no adjustable camber on these cars. Autocrossing is going to be very expensive if you’re only using the outside edge of the tire.

From reading track reviews ESC seems to be the common complaint. Without starting another uprising...I think this is where track mode will make a difference...glad I got P3D+ :)

ESC is what makes a Gen 1 Volt faster on a typical autocross track compsred to the on paper more powerful Gen 2. You can turn off ALL the ESC in a Gen 1 Volt, but ESC on a Gen 2 will remain on no matter what. Bolt suffers from the same "always on" ESC.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I thought stock class was replaced with street class where disabling VSC is allowed. See page 67:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.ne..._Rules_complete_reduced.pdf?1521064100#page69
It’s crazy that there’s no adjustable camber on these cars. Autocrossing is going to be very expensive if you’re only using the outside edge of the tire.
Yes, 'street' / 'stock', I'm still getting use to using 'street' for 'stock'. At one time they both existed as two seperate categories.

The page you cite refers to ESC as it pertains to dampers. Not ESC for throttle, brakes and yaw control. I don't believe doing the ABS disconnect on the TM3 would be street class legal.

Does anyone know what non-street classes the different model 3s would end up in?
I've been looking around and haven't been able to find any guidelines for this. Is it eligible for street touring STU? Or does it go straight to street prepared? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I'm looking at wider wheels and new coil overs. But I think it would be nice to have the complete list for everyone.

Does anyone know what non-street classes the different model 3s would end up in?
I've been looking around and haven't been able to find any guidelines for this. Is it eligible for street touring STU? Or does it go straight to street prepared? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I'm looking at wider wheels and new coil overs. But I think it would be nice to have the complete list for everyone.

Yea, same here. I'm going to be running 9.5 wide wheels so that technically kicks me out of street even without coilovers!

i don't actually care about my class (not being competitive) it's more about scheduling the time at the course correctly

Reactions: usofrob

I sent an inquiry late last year requesting assistance with classing the car. I received an email last week indicating that my request has been reviewed and that I should have a response soon. I'll report back when I have that response.

• Helpful
Reactions: usofrob