Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCCA Autocross Class for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a request to put the model 3 into STU pending (or to adjust the catch all so electric vehicles qualify). #26817. Supposed to be looked at next wed. Mine was actually a general request to adjust catch-alls for electric vehicles.

I don't understand why they won't just put it in STU in the meantime...unless they say it's not going to qualify for touring at all? There isn't any higher level category than that!

I'm looking at doing an autocross in a couple weeks. I have wider wheels on my car now. Is D Street Prepared the correct class to register in? I don't know how cars map through the modified classes. Does anyone have anything they can link to that explains this? When I read the SCCA rules it talks about engine sizes and other useless things. :rolleyes:

If you have a stock AWD or RWD model 3 it's D street. If you have a stock P3D it's B street.

Technically any modifications (such as wheels) puts you into "this doesn't have a class". Because they still haven't updated the rules. Unless you are trying to go to nationals, doesn't matter just roll in your street class.

I also have a request to put the model 3 into STU pending (or to adjust the catch all so electric vehicles qualify). #26817. Supposed to be looked at next wed. Mine was actually a general request to adjust catch-alls for electric vehicles.

I don't understand why they won't just put it in STU in the meantime...unless they say it's not going to qualify for touring at all? There isn't any higher level category than that!

If you have a stock AWD or RWD model 3 it's D street. If you have a stock P3D it's B street.

Technically any modifications (such as wheels) puts you into "this doesn't have a class". Because they still haven't updated the rules. Unless you are trying to go to nationals, doesn't matter just roll in your street class.
Any update on classing?

I ran in B Street for the first autocross event, but I heard some grumbling about my wider wheels. So, I ran with BSP next event. I think now I'll register for STU, since I'm running narrow enough tires for AWD (max is 245 for STU), and the PAX is lower than BSP. I really hope we can stay in STU. It seems like it'll allow me to do all the modifications I want to my car (except 265/275 wide tires), but not need slicks to compete at autocross.

Any update on classing?

I ran in B Street for the first autocross event, but I heard some grumbling about my wider wheels. So, I ran with BSP next event. I think now I'll register for STU, since I'm running narrow enough tires for AWD (max is 245 for STU), and the PAX is lower than BSP. I really hope we can stay in STU. It seems like it'll allow me to do all the modifications I want to my car (except 265/275 wide tires), but not need slicks to compete at autocross.

Letter was reviewed and due to be published in 3 days. I don't know the result

Also make sure you have the latest rule book. Upper limit for tire width is now 265 in STU AWD. It was previously 245 but unsure when it changed

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Letter was reviewed and due to be published in 3 days. I don't know the result

Also make sure you have the latest rule book. Upper limit for tire width is now 265 in STU AWD. It was previously 245 but unsure when it changed
Thanks again for the info. Please let us know if you hear anything about official classing.

I guess I'll have to be more careful that I look at the recent rules. 265 width is clearly a lot better for us.

So looks like the Street Touring board just doesn't like Teslas

"Thank you for your input. Electric vehicles that the STAC feels are appropriate for the category are currently classed."

Still unsure of where a Model 3 Performance with upgraded tires/suspension should go then. It's kinda ridiculous if it pushes you all the way up to BSP. Would it even be eligible for BSP? It isn't listed, and the only catch-all in prepared that could possibly apply is in FSP, "Sedan under 1.7L not otherwise classified"

I'm just going to keep running under BS then, and time only until somebody protests my wheels.

Looks like no one fielded an AWD TM3 in DS at Nationals this year.
Pronto Timing System Live Timing

I figured it could have been competitive against the Civic Type R.

are you sure that's all of them? I don't see any Tesla's in BS either and I thought there was at least one driver for nationals in a P3D this year

edit: tracked down the day by day results. No tesla's ran in D street but they did run in B street. In fact the winner of B street was a model 3!

are you sure that's all of them? I don't see any Tesla's in BS either and I thought there was at least one driver for nationals in a P3D this year

edit: tracked down the day by day results. No tesla's ran in D street but they did run in B street. In fact the winner of B street was a model 3!
Only looking at D Street since that was an interest to me. I saw an earlier post on the Tesla Model 3 Track and Autocross FB site that there were at least 2 P3D's in B Street.

Last edited:
DAmn!~
straight to SS...I was hoping to race in my buddies class..only reason I bought a P3 /s
Annotation 2020-01-03 062630.png

DAmn!~
straight to SS...I was hoping to race in my buddies class..only reason I bought a P3 /s View attachment 495972
Yeah I think it's extremely reactionary. The SEB seems to be scared of OTA updates significantly changing performance...and are ignoring that there are nearly 400k of these on the road and that it won b street by .07 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
I was really surprised to see the car bumped to SS...Maybe AS but SS? (The SCCA definitely doesn't want the Vette getting beat by batteries though).

I've thought about seeing if they would put the 3 in CAM-C...It is American and 4 doors...Why not? :)

I just picked up a Model 3 Stealth...I am going to try to campaign it in DS this year because it is not the official "performance" model we'll see how long this lasts.

I was really surprised to see the car bumped to SS...Maybe AS but SS? (The SCCA definitely doesn't want the Vette getting beat by batteries though).

I've thought about seeing if they would put the 3 in CAM-C...It is American and 4 doors...Why not? :)

I just picked up a Model 3 Stealth...I am going to try to campaign it in DS this year because it is not the official "performance" model we'll see how long this lasts.
riiight...DS lol
BS at minimum for P3- It is a performance 3 and there is no way in hell you can argue it is not without getting protested.
AS maybe for a stealth but that will not happen since they are the same car/ just brakes and minor suspension tweak.
I was thinking a P85 would have fit in a CAM class but it probably would not have been very competitive compared to FS.

riiight...DS lol
BS at minimum for P3- It is a performance 3 and there is no way in hell you can argue it is not without getting protested.
AS maybe for a stealth but that will not happen since they are the same car/ just brakes and minor suspension tweak.
I was thinking a P85 would have fit in a CAM class but it probably would not have been very competitive compared to FS.

I am reading the SCCA's rules specifically - the "Tesla 3 Performance" is in BS (now SS)...The Tesla 3 is in DS. Mine has the red performance line under the "Dual Motor" but it does not have the perf brakes, "Wing", or lowered suspension of the performance model. If I wanted to buy a performance model, I would have had to order a performance model....These are going to be my arguments anyway!

Otherwise I'll run SS with the GT3's, NSX's, and other exotics.

I am reading the SCCA's rules specifically - the "Tesla 3 Performance" is in BS (now SS)...The Tesla 3 is in DS. Mine has the red performance line under the "Dual Motor" but it does not have the perf brakes, "Wing", or lowered suspension of the performance model. If I wanted to buy a performance model, I would have had to order a performance model....These are going to be my arguments anyway!

Let’s not trash our reputation too much now lol. We all know it’s a performance.

I’m pissed about the reclass. Luckily we don’t have a huge SS presence at my local club but this short sighted crap from the SCCA is why I refused to join and don’t run with an SCCA sanctioned club

Performance refers to the car motors and track mode. +/- are just visuals and brakes. No way you wouldnt get protested

Hey guys, I was thinking of taking my P3D to autox in a street stock class next season, but the reclassing has me thinking of STU instead. Are there any STU-legal means of gaining camber by now?

I would love to see the car placed in STU in street touring trim. There are upper arms you can buy to get better camber. I'd personally like to be able to have the adjustable arms + coil overs. I am probably going to write to the SEB and request the car be placed in STU and that they allow it in CAM-C

Hey guys, I was thinking of taking my P3D to autox in a street stock class next season, but the reclassing has me thinking of STU instead. Are there any STU-legal means of gaining camber by now?

I would love to see the car placed in STU in street touring trim. There are upper arms you can buy to get better camber. I'd personally like to be able to have the adjustable arms + coil overs. I am probably going to write to the SEB and request the car be placed in STU and that they allow it in CAM-C

The car is not eligible for STU. I already tried last year, after they just bumped it up to SS and also let it run in ASP no way it will happen

I would also be shocked if they let it run in CAM.

All available adjustable camber arms and any rear arms are not allowed in STU or ASP, only SM since they all include spherical bearings and too much metal. There are a few companies coming out with offset bushings instead but I am not aware of any ASP legal product for camber