Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's weird just how sensitive and tuned in the SEB is to Tesla releasing a new car. Within a month or release they are already proposing putting it in SS, despite everyone knowing the existing car is already over-classed for 5 years solid.

Meanwhile the comments are full of stuff like "Move the GT4RS out of SS" - with only a "thank you for the comment" response. Top end, unobtanium Porsche full race car? Yeah, let's see how that does in SS for a while, no rush. Slight update of a 4 door, 4,000 lb sedan? Gotta push that into SS RIGHT NOW, can't have it harassing the lower end Porsches in AS.
That's cause several of us sent in info the weekend the actual car info was released.

I think the GT4RS was slow to get in to autoxers hands, combined with a relative flood of used GT4s hitting the market, is making people finally take notice.

When I made a clarification request to the SEB, I was hoping they'd make the edit crystal clear. What came out, though, it's still quite confusing. Are we in agreement here that the toe and camber linkages in our multi-link rear suspension are effectively one upper arm and having both adjustable is OK?

Ah, ok.
Paging @MasterC17 , were you able to get into the Track Mode with MPP Coilovers installed?
Using the solution MPP has in development I was able to use a combination of Coilovers and Track Mode, yes.

Why are we pressing for the 2024 to be in SS without any good data on how much differently it performs in AutoX? Or am I misunderstanding what people contacted the SEB about for the '24+?
I was trying to keep it in AS with no differences. Eventually if its proven to be better than the older ones, we can move the older ones to BS. That's what Bruce was trying to do too.

Morning! Been awhile since I've posted, but finally had our first events here in Chicago Region. I'll try to keep this short! Slightly different setup this year with the addition of UP front sway bar set on softest settings, running the car 50/50 at -10 stability/traction, and 19x9 MaxForged wheels w/265/35/19 RE71RS.

Cheers! :)

Good job Mr. Ron! 🥰 That video was excellent, almost looked like it was sped up! :eek:

• Love
Reactions: mron and Lindenwood
Looks like the SEB is placing the 24+ M3P in SS, so the good news is this thread title is 100% relevant again!

In other news, they’re considering moving the RWD to DS.

7a8b4880fdb7f357dc573dcfad56af91.gif

Reactions: Conebra
When I made a clarification request to the SEB, I was hoping they'd make the edit crystal clear. What came out, though, it's still quite confusing. Are we in agreement here that the toe and camber linkages in our multi-link rear suspension are effectively one upper arm and having both adjustable is OK?

Ah, ok.
Paging @MasterC17 , were you able to get into the Track Mode with MPP Coilovers installed?
Just curious where we landed on this as well!

The new part I'm referring to is allowing toe arms (in addition to camber arms). Traction control deletes were allowed in street class until last year sometime which gave the party box some legal ground to stand on in the past IMO.

Unplugged posted a youtube video where they disconnect the '24 M3P shocks and can't enter track mode.
View attachment 1059376
MPP instagram suggests they have a solution, but this does not look EVX legal lol:
View attachment 1059379
The M150 and wiring are just our typical setup to instrument the car for data collection. I am sure that if an active damper delete required all that, no one would install coilovers!

80 slots left, and we have 10 EV-X's already, plus 4 running in AS. Need to get those AS people to just join us in EV-X!

nah, I am good with AS. EVX is appealing to me, but I don't want to ruin the car for daily use. I know, people are going to say "my EVX car works fine daily", but I am sure we have radically different daily requirements/conditions. I already have to swap out shocks and a swaybar for winter use, I don't want to have to do that with control arms too... 🤡

Why are we pressing for the 2024 to be in SS without any good data on how much differently it performs in AutoX? Or am I misunderstanding what people contacted the SEB about for the '24+?
Because we worked our tails off to get the 2018-2023 car into AS, we don't need to upset the applecart with a new car "theoretical" performance. I personally sent in multiple letters regarding the 2024 M3P, and had numerous conversations (phone, email and in person) with SAC and SEB members regarding Model 3 both old and new.

Multiple Action Committee & SEB members have told me in person that the general SCCA membership wants to see the Tesla's "Go Away". True story. :eek:

Last edited:
nah, I am good with AS. EVX is appealing to me, but I don't want to ruin the car for daily use.
The point wasn't to actually mod the car to EV-X, just run in that class.

Either way, you're buried in AS or EV-X. Driven amazingly at a national event, a stock M3P is a BS car. So last year at nationals you could have maybe run a 118. That would have put you 9th in AS, in the very last trophy position, and that only happens if you're an absolute top tier driver. On average a M3P in AS is just going to be a mid-pack car, just like it would be in EV-X.

EV-X runs just over AS times. So yes, a bit more buried than in AS, but at least you get to run with and hang out with all Tesla people instead of being a random Tesla in a field of 40 old corvettes and mid-end boxters. Also, more entries helps prove EV-X is a viable class, and Teslas are to be considered, instead of the current attitude that there are so few EV's that EV-X is just a dying supplemental class that can be ignored. EV-X as a class long term would absolutely benefit from having 14 entries instead of 10.

Because we worked our tails off to get the 2018-2023 car into AS, we don't need to upset the applecart with a new car "theoretical" performance. I personally sent in multiple letters regarding the 2024 M3P, and had numerous conversations (phone, email and in person) with SAC and SEB members regarding Model 3 both old and new.
Am I reading this right? You, as someone that wants the SEB to be more fair to Teslas, and who knows the current M3P was buried in SS and continues to be buried in AS, actively worked to get the new, unproven '24 M3P put in SS? Even an EV-X prepped M3P on huge tires and coilovers can't get anywhere near to SS times?
This feels very much like us starting infighting and trying to protect the existing M3P's and treating the newer M3P's as outsiders.
Rather than agreeing with the SCCA that a new-ish EV needs to be all the way in SS so that we can spend 4 years making sure it doesn't upset the applecart, wouldn't it have been better to show them that at AutoX speeds, it's very much expected to perform like a current M3P, and that thus AS is still quite reasonable since even a 1% speedup still wouldn't make it a top tier AS car, so they can be confident that they don't need to just throw it away completely like they did on the current M3P for the last 5 years?

Am I reading this right? You, as someone that wants the SEB to be more fair to Teslas, and who knows the current M3P was buried in SS and continues to be buried in AS, actively worked to get the new, unproven '24 M3P put in SS? Even an EV-X prepped M3P on huge tires and coilovers can't get anywhere near to SS times?
This feels very much like us starting infighting and trying to protect the existing M3P's and treating the newer M3P's as outsiders.
Rather than agreeing with the SCCA that a new-ish EV needs to be all the way in SS so that we can spend 4 years making sure it doesn't upset the applecart, wouldn't it have been better to show them that at AutoX speeds, it's very much expected to perform like a current M3P, and that thus AS is still quite reasonable since even a 1% speedup still wouldn't make it a top tier AS car, so they can be confident that they don't need to just throw it away completely like they did on the current M3P for the last 5 years?
That's how I'm reading it. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Rodney!
The point wasn't to actually mod the car to EV-X, just run in that class.
oh, that is just dumb. Running a stock class car in a mod class is a waste of time/resources. SCCA classing is relatively simple, if a class does not make numbers, it gets cut. I lost my shirt campaigning a fwd car in SM for 10 years, Of course, literally a few months after I sold that car, SMF came out... . I had a point to prove, and it cost me a lot of money that i didn't have to prove said point. I will never do that again.

Did I stutter? Yep, you are reading that right. I submitted many letters, and said if the M3P was moved from SS to BS, or even AS, I would put my money where my mouth is. It was moved, so I did exactly that and put $12k+ in my M3P to prep it for AS. yep, 12k of my own money. (nevermind testing many other swaybar/wheel/tire combos, I don't want to add that up tbh o_O ) Truthfully, it is probably more than 12k, but the maths is making my head/wallet hurt :eek:

So, I committed to a full AS build for my car. then the 2024 showed up, with the 3 major bullet points that make theoretical performance better than the 2018-2023 car (seats, rear wheel width and increased power). so yeah, it should be a different class until proven that there is/is not a speed difference. It is the right call. The ink is barely dry on the move from SS to AS, so we don't need to throw more fuel to the anti EV fire by classing a "faster" EV in AS. Let it go to SS, and some other schmuck can dump his $ into it to prove it is not a SS car, then it can be moved at that point...

Infighting? GTFO with that BS. The only one starting poo and pushing their agenda around here is you. Mr. Ron and I chat daily about our cars and I help him and vice versa. In fact, I have numerous EV solo chats i participate in daily. There are a few dozen people that I have helped with their setup, and many others have contacted me for assistance.

Another viewpoint that quite a few of us have, is to have one indexed EV class. Yep, stick all the EV's in one class, and figure out a pax that works for them. 2024 M3P would have a SS like pax, and a Chevy Bolt could have a HS like pax. Toss in some EVX cars with whetever pass is appropriate, and adjust index till competition gets tighter. That get's rid of all the whiny "see you next tuesdays" that don't want EV's in their ICE classes. An indexed EV class is a solution where we all get what we want.

I have to get back to prepping/loading the car for this coming Pro Solo weekend. Have fun gents! 🤓