Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE generation cap exceeded?

Dukeybootie

Nov 12, 2015
United States
My additional panels went online this past month and I got this message on this month's bill. Was expecting a lot more generation credit but looks like I got capped, which has never happened before. Has anyone had this happen? I'm still a net consumer, just entirely during super off peak hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210322-123114.png
    Screenshot_20210322-123114.png
    1 MB · Views: 17

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
My additional panels went online this past month and I got this message on this month's bill. Was expecting a lot more generation credit but looks like I got capped, which has never happened before. Has anyone had this happen? I'm still a net consumer, just entirely during super off peak hours.
So, were your addition panels approved by SCE? What is the amount in writing you have from them approving how much you can produce?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Not approved yet -- passed city inspection but still awaiting PTO. Maybe that is the issue.

That would be my guess. Your current PTO has a system size that they expect XXX for generation. This is likely to prevent people who just add more panels and dont tell them (I am 10000% sure that happens).

I have never seen that notice from SCE but it doesnt surprise me that they have an expectation of amount of generation logged somewhere and if you go outside the number, they dont pay you for it.

Reactions: Redhill_qik

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
How many, and what size, panels did you add. How many and capacity did you have approval for?

Dukeybootie

Nov 12, 2015
United States
How many, and what size, panels did you add. How many and capacity did you have approval for?
I had 20 to begin with and added 15. Have always been a net consumer over 5 years of being on solar and we have two EVs. Installer took care of the application process so not sure what I was actually approved for. In any event, I have generated more in one monthly cycle in the past with just 20 panels and always gotten full NEM credit so it was a little surprising to see this notice.

power.saver

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2018
Arcadia, CA
I had 20 to begin with and added 15. Have always been a net consumer over 5 years of being on solar and we have two EVs. Installer took care of the application process so not sure what I was actually approved for. In any event, I have generated more in one monthly cycle in the past with just 20 panels and always gotten full NEM credit so it was a little surprising to see this notice.
You're not alone. I've had solar since 2006 and I received a similar notice on my February billing statement. It said I had 90kWh of forfeited generation and this has never happened before. I checked my generation against last February, and it was slightly lower (538kWh vs. 560kWh) so something appears to be wrong in SCE's billing system.

charlesj

Oct 22, 2019
Monterey, CA
You're not alone. I've had solar since 2006 and I received a similar notice on my February billing statement. It said I had 90kWh of forfeited generation and this has never happened before. I checked my generation against last February, and it was slightly lower (538kWh vs. 560kWh) so something appears to be wrong in SCE's billing system.
Are you willing to call them to see what's going on? Did they change policy without notification? What will be the generation limit in the months ahead?
This is curious as most likely you are grandfathered in for 20 years I would guess as I am.

Reactions: Electrph

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Are you willing to call them to see what's going on? Did they change policy without notification? What will be the generation limit in the months ahead?
This is curious as most likely you are grandfathered in for 20 years I would guess as I am.
Yes. would love to know what is going on

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC