Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule Charge Issue - Clicking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Since I took delivery of the car last Thursday, I always have scheduled a charge for 3am. Using a Tesla's HP Wall Connector - but for some reason, when I woke up this morning to preheat - the car was not charged. I went to the car, and it was making some sort of Clicking noise.....by the charge port.
I opened the front driver side door, and the car began to charge... i didn't do anything else....
What could be the issue???

Well the contactor closes (makes contact) when you open the door on Teslas and it's supposed to close when you initiate charging as well. Perhaps whatever gives the signal to close the contactor when charging isn't sending the signal on your car? Does this happen consistently or just the one time? If consistent, did you try a different charging station? Perhaps something is wrong with your EVSA or connector on it.

Well the contactor closes (makes contact) when you open the door on Teslas and it's supposed to close when you initiate charging as well. Perhaps whatever gives the signal to close the contactor when charging isn't sending the signal on your car? Does this happen consistently or just the one time? If consistent, did you try a different charging station? Perhaps something is wrong with your EVSA or connector on it.

First time

The older UMCs often developed a clicking issue. I think it was the button on the charge-cable-end making partial contact when not being pressed.
I haven't heard/read about the issue in a long time, and I don't remember hearing about it with a wall connector, but it's one possibility.
Doesn't explain the door event though.