Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I finally got my 14-50 outlet finished and since Im charging much faster now I decided to try scheduled charging to try to reach my target charge closer to when I leave for work. So I turn scheduled charging from the charging screen in car, set the time to 03:00 get home and plug the car in. It immediately starts to charge. Am I missing something? Does your scheduled charging settings get wiped out each time you put the car in park?

Ok so I finally got my 14-50 outlet finished and since Im charging much faster now I decided to try scheduled charging to try to reach my target charge closer to when I leave for work. So I turn scheduled charging from the charging screen in car, set the time to 03:00 get home and plug the car in. It immediately starts to charge. Am I missing something? Does your scheduled charging settings get wiped out each time you put the car in park?

Scheduled charging is tied to GPS location (hence the pin next to the text), but that does not sound like your issue.

Is it ramping up to the full 40A?

Are you sitting in your car with AC/heat, or do you have the door open with the AC/heat on? It will start “charging” from shore power even with scheduled charging in those conditions. It’s not charging; it is simply running the accessories. And it will not get to 40A (unless you are blasting the heat of course).

Incidentally this is how you can figure out how much power certain accessories use! (After correcting for 95% efficiency of the AC-DC.)

When you turn off the AC/heat it will command the UMC to open the relay. Even though it could draw 2A at 240V in that condition for a short period, it will disconnect the relay shortly thereafter.

With AC on sitting in the car with scheduled charging it looks like this:
05EA337A-22F7-4082-B11C-26C0BEDC397D.jpeg

On my car, when I set scheduled charging and plug the car in, it often begins to charge for a few seconds before shutting off, and then it starts up again at the scheduled time. The initial charge is for just a few seconds, but it's enough time to hear the relay in the EVSE click over and to see the status on the screen change. If you see that and then do something to alter the charge (like pull the plug or reset the charging options), you might not realize that the initial charge is brief.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Incidentally this is how you can figure out how much power certain accessories use! (After correcting for 95% efficiency of the AC-DC.)

If you use the on-screen mi/hr charge rate I think you can figure it out directly without factoring the 95%. Well, I suppose indirectly by converting the drop in mi/hr x 219 Wh/mi to get W (for an SR+).

Or do you mean by measuring output from your EVSE, then -5%, you can figure out the accessory DC power use? I guess ya, if you have an EVSE that lets you do that.

Last edited:
If you use the on-screen mi/hr charge rate I think you can figure it out directly without factoring the 95

I don’t think so as those are the input power specs. But what I said may just not have been clear.

To clarify:
So for example if it says 8A at 240V, that means the AC is using about 6A at 240V from the wall, 1440W, or 1350W from the battery. The remaining 2A at 240V is overhead, 480W from the wall, maybe 450W from battery. Lots of rounding errors but it doesn’t matter.

My car says something like waiting for "Scheduled time" to start charging.

I am on SCE TOU-D-B where my "super off peek rate" from 10pm - 8am is either $0.10 or $0.11 per kw. More at other times of day during the week and weekend.

Since I have TeslaFi I have been playing around with the following: I do these rules based on location (home) and if car plugged in.

1. Set charge limit to 70% at 10pm.
2. Start charging at 10:15pm (wish I could do #1 and #2 with one command)
3. Set charge limit to 80% at 5am
4. Start charging at 5:15am.

Then I am going on a trip I change #3 and #4 to be 100%. I might also change the 70%. My goal is to end my charge close to the time I need to drive.

It would be nice if TeslaFi had the option to say charge my car to have 80% at say 8am (or when needed - but before 8am) and let it figure out when to start and stop.

kW, V, A are input specs. If you switch from % to distance, the mi/hr is the output of the charger and/or the calculated net add to the battery.

When you turn heat or AC on you see the mi/hr drop.

In this case the mi/hr would be zero. The numbers on the screen are what is from the EVSE, right? If that is the case then what I am stating is approximately true.

In this case the mi/hr would be zero. The numbers on the screen are what is from the EVSE, right? If that is the case then what I am stating is approximately true.

Ya, my method you need a mi/hr charge to subtract from.

Good to know you can also do it with the Amps while not charging.

So,
  • while charging, delta mi/hr (from charge rate) gives you accessory power use (multiplied by internal Wh/mi constant)
  • while not charging, delta Amps (from 2A baseline) minus 95% gives you accessory power use (multiplied by input Volts)

I think it was the location based feature. I will try again to activate it while sitting in the drive way.
Here's why it's important that it is tied to a specific location. You probably have different charging routines at home or at work. I have my scheduled charging turned on at 1:00 AM for at home, so it will run during the night while I'm sleeping. But when I get to work and use the stations there, I want it to start right away, not sit there doing nothing and waiting for 1 AM to do anything.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I had the same issue with my scheduled charge. It just took off and was charging despite having a charge set for the middle of the night. Do you just set the location by setting up a scheduled charge while the car is parked at the desired location?

I had the same issue with my scheduled charge. It just took off and was charging despite having a charge set for the middle of the night. Do you just set the location by setting up a scheduled charge while the car is parked at the desired location?
I have been using Scheduled Charging since I got my car 2 years ago without issue. I also got TeslaFi to fine tune my schedule which also works. I did have a issue with I installed the latest version in my Model S (v10 2019.36.2.1). After that and after my first drive it starting charging (and did not stop until my limit). But that was only the first day. My actual scheduled start is 6am but my TeslaFi Scheduler does the actually scheduling during the early AM for both cars.

Yes, it assigns the schedule to the current GPS coordinates. This is correct and necessary, because you would normally want your home charging to be at some scheduled time, but when you get to work, you would want it to start right away instead of doing nothing all day because it's waiting for midnight.

I have Octopus Go, so 5p per kWh between 00:30 and 04:30. My Tesla can start to charge at 00:30 but will carry on regardless until it reaches the % charge that the sliding bar represents in the car. There is no way to stop it at 04:30 unless each day I work out what the likely % is left to reach the sliding bar and adjust it accordingly, this could only be an approximation and not a long terms solution, and something too random to be able to put into practice each day. The Tesla app does not help at all. The alternative, to set the internal screen to 'Depart' at 04:30 means that the charge will start at random times depending on the charge in the car that particular day, so often starts at 10:30 pm for instance. I've tried Teslafi, but this doesn't help and takes it's lead from the internal Tesla screen. Any other solutions, that make specific tariffs viable? I can't get a wall charger with it's own schedule facility installed at present due to the coronavirus shutdown...

I've tried Teslafi, but this doesn't help and takes it's lead from the internal Tesla screen.
I know people have used a 3rd party program for this, and I sure thought it was TeslaFi. What the programs do is just use the "start charging" and "stop charging" commands outside of the car's scheduling. So you can basically set up your own scheduled tasks in that external program so that at certain times, it sends those commands to the car. So maybe look into more details of scheduled commands in TeslaFi or check the features of another one of the popular programs people use to control their Teslas.