Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched my rim and BRAND NEW wheel on curb - need advise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i changed the tires on my model S recently (3 months ago) and i scratched my tire coming out of a car park.

Do i need to change the entire tire or do you guys think it's OK to go on with it? Need some advise

Thanks in advance!

P.S: measured the damage it's 1 CM length & 0.5 CM deep

Attachments

• Tire Damage1.jpeg
    Tire Damage1.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 494
  • Tire Damage2.jpeg
    Tire Damage2.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 233
I'd keep driving on that tire, but I would pay close attention to the tire pressure. A rise in tire pressure could mean that the sidewall is flexing too much and the tire is overheating. If that is the case, replace immediately.

So i changed the tires on my model S recently (3 months ago) and i scratched my tire coming out of a car park.

Do i need to change the entire tire or do you guys think it's OK to go on with it? Need some advise

Thanks in advance!

It is definitely questionable. Michelin has a two year road hazard warranty, I just had a more serious 2.5 " cut to the sidewall of a near new tire, and they covered it.

If your tread has worn more than 3/32" from new, consider getting it shaved by tire rack to match the other tire. 30 bucks and an extra day to deliver.

Thanks in advance!

You can use kid's playdough (black color), once dried it will hardly be noticed. /s

Change it

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
As far as the rim is concerned, I got a nice, deep gouge on one of my rim spokes back in January :(

I was able to get it fixed for ~$275 before tax at a Sameday shop. Not the cheapest repair, but also not the end of the world. As their name suggests, it was a same-day repair.

Last edited: